Who has kept their horses in today?

Vikki89

Visit site
I have left the horses in their stables today for the first time this winter. I turned them out while i mucked out but then put them back in again. They actually seem happier to be in than out in the snow.
Are your horses in or have you put them out in the snow?

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Ours have been in since Sat pm as we've had solid ice and now snow on top of that, plus the top layer of snow is frozen. They're going on the walker at least once a day so they are at least getting their legs stretched.

Mabel98

Visit site
I was going to leave them in but my mare was in such a tizzy about being in that i put her and fieldmate out. They rolled and rolled and although i put some hay out, they were eating grass. Am going to check in a minute but they looked very happy earlier even in the icy wind and snow.

monkeybum13

Visit site
Lace was in for the first time in a while. She was out in the play pen for 50mintues and when we went to get her she was waiting by the gate ready to come in. No point in leaving her in freezing cold snow standing around especailly as the wind was quite strong up at the yard. She is happy munching lots hay with carrots hidden in and a likit hung up on the wall.

Vikki89

Visit site
One of my boys rolled lots when i put him out but then just stood at the gate, he is happily eating hay in his stable now though.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
most of ours live out. The two who come in at night have been put out today. Lucy couldn't wait to go out she loves the snow but Rupert the stallion was not impressed so will prob get him in after lunch.

dwi

Visit site
Was going to leave her in but she wanted to be out so much. She's snuffling the snow out of the way and eating the grass underneath. Looks very happy.

china

Visit site
i left prince out last night, we only had a small amount of snow yesterday, weve just had heavy frost, then last night it snowed all night, now we have loads of it. he was desperate to come in bless him. luckily our winter sand paddocks are about 2meteres infront of the stables so not far to walk if he goes steady.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Yes, I left the two girls in today, it was wretched at 5.30am this morning, I only just managed to get home,lots of skidding and swerving, so have not gone to work, no buses are running here anyway! But yeah mine and my friends are in today

SDH

Visit site
Mine are out!
Well one lives out 24/7 anyway and the other one adores rolling in the snow - who I am to deny him that pleasure!
grin.gif

We had burst water pipes in feed room and one of the stables (not mine thankgoodness) this morning and water everywhere - which will be ice later and a total nightmare i imagine!

Jojo_Pea4

Visit site
Mine are happier in this weather to be left in, The yard is dangerous to walk them on, There happy having loads of hay and a fuss.

Enfys

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Mine are living out and have been kept out. They have access to hay and shelter, but don't seem interested in either, stupid horses!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only snow, mine don't come in, too much like hard work.
Mine never use the shelter either unless we get strong winds or freezing rain. Their choice.
smile.gif

FoxhillBelle

Visit site
Have left Belle in today, she is having a snow day
tongue.gif

Left her in with two big haynets of hay, she seemed quite content when i left, will go up later and let her stretch her legs in the in door lunging school later.

Didnt want to risk her being out as along with the snow there was also ice around, i already did a 360 degrees spin in my car on my way to the yard, wasn't nice
crazy.gif

Thankfully the sun has come out yey
smile.gif

Chumsmum

Visit site
My ponies usually live out 24/7 but the two bigger ones have been coming in at night during this bad weather (older pony got colic last year in cold weather so wont risk leaving him out). They have been turned out today with lots of hay but will be in again tonight.

Shetlands out with hay but having a little feed too atm and have a stable too if it gets much worse.

I'm lucky that their barn opens right out in to their field so no icy paths to walk on.

chaps89

Visit site
I wanted to turn P out but D went frantic every time he went out of sight so figured best not to, so both are happily munching hay on the yard with stable doors open so they can go in if they wish. Daft horses, sprinkling of snow and it upsets everything.

DressageDiva1983

Visit site
our yard owner has not allowed us to turn out since the day after boxing day and even then they were only allowed 1 hr max. They are getting on the walker once a day but are desperate to chill out in the field without the snow. Mine hates the stuff!

alsxx

Visit site
Mine are out, they normally stay out 24/7 however I have been bringing in at night when we have had snow, so they were in last night - more to give them a break from it, they seem to appreciate it.

I guess I'm lucky in that not having a concrete yard means I dont have to worry about walking over icy surfaces with them.

I have however put them in their summer field for the time being, as their winter field has got very rutted, and this cold weather has made it lethal. They are quite happy though as this means there is lots of grass!!

horsesfornow

Visit site
I have four horses that live out 24/7, they have hay at all times. But the ground is so hard and I do worry a bit about the horses going lame, as they don't have shoes on.

They only use the shelter in the summer when its too hot!!!

metalmare

Visit site
Humber and his mate are out, but in the field right next to the stables... which is handy! And yet again they are ignoring their hay in favour of digging or snow-ploughing with their noses!

Hippona

Visit site
Out....with hay.

They prefer it...and although the snow is deep, the fact that they do go out every day makes it safer for them....no madness/excitability......they walk calmy to the field, have a roll and mooch around and munch the hay.

I cant wait for the madness that will ensue when the snow goes and the rest of the yard goes out......cue people being dragged around the yard by excited, overfed under-excercised beasties.
smirk.gif

StarFell

Visit site
I put my boy out this morning, walked him up no problem without slipping at all, but it was very slidy coming back down the hill and I fell and hurt my leg
crazy.gif
Farmer has put a new bale out and they're all happily munching away, so depending on if he's happy tonight I might leave him out. Seems better than bringing him down a slippy lane, and he is a big fluffy fell who is currently resembling a yak
laugh.gif

appylass

Visit site
I turned all ours out 24/7 about two weeks ago as the yard was getting slippery. They are loving being out and it's been so much easier for us and safer for them. They have ad lib hay, as well as feed and are plenty warm enough.

dressagecrazy

Visit site
All mine are out & mooching around digging snow & playing a bit. Snow started last night for the first time here, up until last night we've just been suffering severe ice.

Booboos

Visit site
We have deep, powedery snow which is much better than the sheet ice we had all of the week, so they are out and having a great time! They are rolling and running about for the first time in ages. Since I can't ride I think I might leave them out 24/7 unless it becomes icy. They can expend they their extra energy keeping themselves warm!

ace123

Visit site
mine are in.
Youngster would love to be out but we have to take them up the country lane which is very snowy and people are still driving there so not worth the risk.
They are tucked up munching instead.

PurplePickle

www.ipcmedia.com
They are in, If we hadnt got stuck down the drive and taken 40 mins to dig ourselves out I would have left them out as its sunny, but we cant get back so have to rely on help to feed tonight, which means they stay in.