Who has lost a dog to heart disease?

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Can you tell me how you made the decision in the end please?
At what point did you decide which symptom was enough?
Also how was your dog in general? did he or she still want to walk/eat or play
I know everyone says you just know but I'm a bit worried by the time the choice is very obvious and I know that it will be a day too late.

Elsbells

Visit site
Thankfully we didn't have to make that decision as our Dobiegirl girl did that for us. She was fit( or so we thought) and well and died from heart failer on her favourite walk, running along the river bank with her brother, towards daddy. She had the warmth of the sun on her back and she was happy.

No symptoms, no warning, the best way.

ollierdog

Visit site
Sorry to here about your situation, I had a 7 year old harrier PTS from heart disease about 4 years ago. She went from being well, fit to starting to lag slightly on walks she stayed at this similar stage for about 8 weeks(i thought she was getting older and starting to slow down), after 8 weeks she started to get a bloated stomach at which point we went to the vets, had x rays of the heart ect to have her diagnosed with heart disease. They gave her some tablets to help the hearts function and diuretics to take the fluid of the lungs, this have her instant relief and for the next 2-4weeks she returned to normal, she then developed a cough, the fluid started to return on the lungs and the pop belly, the vets said they could drain the fluid but this would have to occur every 2/3 days which I felt was too extreme,5 weeks after the diagnosis she came on holiday with us has a fantastic week enjoyed some good walks and did lots of sleeping. She are well thr

ollierdog

Visit site
* she ate well throughout but the week after we came home from holiday she started to go out less, the morning we let her out of the house and she didn't get out of bed and would eat breakfast I rang the vet to come immediately and PTS at home, by this point she was very bloated and TBH I wish now id made the decision a few days earlier alth

ollierdog

Visit site
* although she didn't seem to suffer I think I hoped she would get better! When having another dog PTS 12 months later due to fits after watching her get so poorly we declined the offer of trying to help with meds as he was very confused after each fit which was getting more regular, he was PTS on a lovely sunny day where he looked well(the vet even asked if I was sure it was the right decision which didn't help at the time) after he went it was absolutely the best decision I had made for him and I was pleased I had done it for him rather than myself, my only advice would be the disease doesn't get better so try and put the dog before your own feelings, you s

ollierdog

Visit site
* you sound a very sympathetic and responsible owner for thinking about this, defiantly better a week early than a day too late! Good luck!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thankyou both.
We are at the stage that he's on max meds and starting to cough again so his lungs are getting fluidy again.
I know the next time I take him to the vet they literally can't do anything, they made that clear last time.
Elsbells your reply made me realise I've been doing things wrong. I've pretty much stopped walking him in the hope he rests and deteriorates slower BUT maybe that's wrong, he loves to run around the fields still and your so right- what a lovely way for the dog to go suddenly doing what they love best. I'm going to start walking him properly again.
Olliersdog thanks for your story. Your right, it's hard though isn't it when you know there is a major problem that's not going to come right but they seem ok 99% of the time.
I'm literally torn. I don't want to miss out on time with him by pts too early but I'd never want him to suffer.
Last year I made this call 3 times a dog who I had no choice with but he didn't suffer.
Two horses both of which were diagnosed with serious illness and I made the call while both were still reasonably healthy.
I'm not sure why this time I'm finding it so tough and am not totally trusting my judgement.
I can't bear the thought of being without him :'(
I'll book a vet apt for Monday and ask my vets opinion at this stage.
Why do we do this?

deicinmerlyn

Visit site
Yes, I sadly lost my little JR cross 3 weeks tomorrow. He was diagnosed about 2 years ago. Started tablets and had good and bad days. The night before he died he had come to the yard with me and was fine, came home and ate all his dinner. The next day he wasn't well and his breathing was rapid. I made an appointment with the Vet but he died in my arms before I could get there. He was 11 - I miss him terribly. He hated the Vets and I was reluctant to take him in when he was feeling unwell as it just stressed him even more but i can't help feeling guilty that i didn't take him sooner. I also couldn't bear the thought of losing him.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I've made an appointment for Tuesday. It was the soonest non emergency (although obviously they will see him straight away if I'm concerned)
I don't know if it will be pts but it's what I want to discuss 😥

Meems

Visit site
I've made an appointment for Tuesday. It was the soonest non emergency (although obviously they will see him straight away if I'm concerned)
I don't know if it will be pts but it's what I want to discuss ��

Poor you, a really horrible time I can imagine. My elderly dog is starting to go downhill and I'm sure I will be in your position and thinking about PTS in the not too distant future - the thought of it makes me feel physically ill, she seems to have been in my life forever. The saddest part of owning a beloved dog. Big hugs xx

twiggy2

Visit site
Really difficult time and having gone through losing a very special dog recently I know how tough it is but I will be blunt, if he is on max meds and the coughing is returning I would call time tomorrow, it will not improve and the decline will continue, coughing is an indication that there is pressure on the lungs and his body is trying to remove the pressure, you have done all you can and I think you know it is time in your heart of hearts.
XXX