Who has sold a horse and regretted it?

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I sold my first horse Symba when my dad had a massive stroke. I had to give up work to care for him and Symba reluctantly went out on loan, and came back, and went out on loan, and came back. He was quite a quirky character and hard to love!

In the end the stress off him coming and going for both of us forced me to sell him. He went to an amazing home not far from me so I can still visit. I regret selling him so much I cannot tell you.

Anyway, the reason I ask this is I am considering selling my mare. She has knocked all of my confidence and I cannot bond with her. I have tried many things and there is just no trust or bond there. I feel sad that I may sell her, but at the same time I know I will never get out of her what she is capable of and its not fair on either of us.

I dont think I will regret selling her as there is no real bond there, but just wondered what other peoples experiences of selling a horse you feel you cant trust/bond with are? x

q105

Visit site
I have been really lucky to have had an instant connection with a horse I loaned many years ago. For a long time I judged all other connections with the same in mind.

Most recently, I have another horse on loan, and it has been quite a journey. On paper, he is everything I should want and need. He has fire in his belly, he's also calm and educated. Hes a looker and has manners, and hes gentle and affectionate.

So why could I not 'feel' it with him?? For months, I just couldnt get excited about him. It wasnt anything to do with him, I admit that he was a lot more horse than Id given him credit for.

With a good instructor (actually, two different instructors with different attitudes and motivations for me), and time and dedication....but we're there!!!

Bob and I are finally in synch, he looks for me at the yard and I get excited as I tack up.... But its been nearly a year.

If youve tried different instructors and different styles, if you can honestly say that you have done all youre prepared to do, and if you can see your mare as separate from Symba, then you should find her a home with someone who feels they can work with her. But just consider, some relationships take a little more creativity and time to work out for the best....

Good luck

Visit site
The one I regret selling was my Welsh C mare. I bought her to back and show but she refused point blank to be ridden. She hated it. She had been a broodmare before I got her, I bought her from her breeder, showed her with great sucess in hand but after 3years of refusing to be ridden I sold her back to her breeders. As much as I would have loved to have kept her she wasnt going to do the job I wanted her to do and I don't breed Welsh C's and I don't keep just inhand ponies. I do have the option of buying her back as first refusal if she ever is put on the market again and I will take her like a shot. Her personality was somethibg else and she is the only mare I really got on with for the most part.

Pale Rider

Visit site
I sold a horse about 10 years ago, he was my riding horse and entire.

I've tried to get him back many times over the years but the people who I sold him to won't part with him. Can't say I blame them. They had him cut to keep him on livery, no other reason, I really would like him back, but I don't think it will ever happen.

Gingersmum

Visit site
Just going through this now !

Sold a lovely but quirky horse to a person who was to give it a long term home and the stability it needed.

Turns out they were a dealer and the horse has been advertised all over the internet at over double the price I sold it for, after just a few weeks.

Pity the poor unsuspecting person who has now brought it.

I wish I could get it back and will be watching out for it re appearing on the internet as I'm sure the issues this horse has will cause it to end up in a downwards spiral :-(

swampdonkey

Visit site
I sold my first horse after 4 years, he was a superstar, perfect first horse but I felt like I needed a new challenge.
I wish so many times that I still had him now as he would be perfect for my daughter :( at the time she was too small.

hayinamanger

Visit site
I have sold 2 horses that I very much regretted both transactions. The first was a very sweet but quirky mare, I sold her to someone I thought would get more out of her than I could. I kept in touch and bought her back after 16 months, but she was never the same horse again. Second big mistake was Ruby, sold her to what I believed was the perfect home 2 years ago. New owner said all the right things, took her to Surrey and in 2 weeks Ruby was advertised in H&H for double the price. Owner would not respond to my calls or messages. A friend rang her to find out what she was saying to people, she said she had bought her from an elderly couple in Devon a year ago (I was 53 at the time) and she was selling her as she had lost her grazing. Ruby has disappeared off the face of the earth, her passport has never been updated.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
financial reasons forced me to sell my mare (who i had owned for a year) and i miss her so much.
She wasnt the easiest of horses to ride and was very quirky on the ground but she had the prettiest head on any horse i've ever seen.
I was initially relieved when she sold as the money pressure was off but the longer it is since i sold her the more i want her back.
She is also the dam of my current horse so i do still have a legitimate connection to her.
I know where she is though and that she is doted up but i cant helping missing her.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Some sad stories :O( My pony is an ex broodmare and she just doesnt take any interest in riding. Some days she will be fine (can only walk as she refuses to trot) other she will point blank refuse to do anything and or just chuck me off without a care.
I have had a professional come and back her, she failed miserably and the mare did less for her than me! Had 2 different instructors (1 was thrown off in an instant!) Now I have a lovely girl coming to part loan her and see what she can get out of her. She really seemed to click with my pony and it was really nice to see, but she doesn't click with me.
I have spent hours grooming, leading in hand around the village, just sitting and being with her and there really inst much there relationship wise.
Also she is probably a little small for me (I am 5ft 4in and about 10 stone and she is 14.2) I dont look too bad on her but there is always a niggle in my mind im too big.
She jumps 5ft into the boys field on a regular basis, but put a pole down when she is lunged and she is not in the slightest bit interested in walking over it. Its the look in her eyes that tells me she isnt for me.
I am heart broken about it, she is gorgeous and lovely, just not for me.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
OP, I don't well horses but just wanted to reassure you that there will be someone who 'clicks' with your horse.
I've bought 2 mares whose owners just couldn't/didn't want to persevere with them. ID, her owner loved her personality but hadn't the confidence to ride her, she came here and was fine, owner bought a confidence-giver and still has him. Unfortunately mine had to be pts following an injury.
Then I bought one from someone who was quite honest about the fact that they just didn't get on and it was very obvious when I went to view. That horse is one of the most affectionate I've ever had.
Your mare doesn't really sound as if she's the horse for you - mares can be very 'picky' ime, and can often be 'one person animals'.

Holbert

Visit site
Years ago, I sold my lovely 13.2 pony to a nice home, as I was a teenager at the time who wanted to move onto horses.

The horse I bought turned out to be horrid, I had no bond at all with her, she didn't seem to like anybody and my parents began to wonder if she was going to end up killing me. So, to keep her in work while we wondered what to do with her, we got in a professional jockey from one of the racing yards to ride her. After six weeks, this jockey took all their stuff and disappeared, so we could only assume the horse had scared them too with her nasty unpredictable behaviour.

I sold her to a dealer for half the price I paid for her, with a warning about what she had been like with me, and frankly I would not have cared if she ended up in tins. I had and have no regrets at all about selling her (except the loss of the money).

This experience made me regret selling my lovely 13.2 pony although it was to a fab home and regret my decision to move on to horses - I wished I'd stuck with my pony!

Last edited:

rafty

Visit site
I am going through this at the moment. I sold my comp horse as I had lost all my confidence jumping him and felt so sad when I would watch a girl who rode him for me do so well with him. I began to feel it was my fault and I wasn't good enough for him, so sold him. I wanted to buy something I could share with my children, so they could grow up with a pony and learn with him. I miss my horse terribly and still cry over him, I now realise that if I had of changed instructors and taken myself out of a bad situation things could have been better. He was a dream to handle and never put a foot wrong. He was just to good for me to jump him!!! Even hacking out with my new nappy pony I realise how brave he was at hacking even if he could be a bit spooky. I knew we could start the ride with someone and then go on on our own in another direction, things that I really took for granted.

I am going to visit him on Saturday and I am going to tell them that if they ever want to sell him to give me first refusal. I would love to have him back eventually. But we live and learn and he was my first horse so I wasn't really to know. If I could go back seeing and knowing what I do now I would change the position and pressure I was putting myself under.:(

rafty

Visit site
OP, I don't well horses but just wanted to reassure you that there will be someone who 'clicks' with your horse.
I've bought 2 mares whose owners just couldn't/didn't want to persevere with them. ID, her owner loved her personality but hadn't the confidence to ride her, she came here and was fine, owner bought a confidence-giver and still has him. Unfortunately mine had to be pts following an injury.
Then I bought one from someone who was quite honest about the fact that they just didn't get on and it was very obvious when I went to view. That horse is one of the most affectionate I've ever had.
Your mare doesn't really sound as if she's the horse for you - mares can be very 'picky' ime, and can often be 'one person animals'.

I have just posted about selling my horse (gelding) and then I read your post. I think its very true what you said about mares. The pony I have just bought is a mare, she had a very very close bond with her previous owner. I am struggling to bond with her as she doesn't seem interested in me and is very disrespecting of me. I hope in time it will get better, and I am battling through as its still early days. And then there are other times when I just want to give up, as I wonder if we will ever bond!!!! I can't stop comparing her to my old horse who was a real gent, so this doesn't help!!!

FreddiesGal

Visit site
I regret selling my little Welsh B mare a few years ago. She really was a little poppet. She now works in a riding school 680 miles away from me. :(

cindydog

Visit site
I sold my lovely horse due to money matters or lack of it, did not want my horse to be the one to suffer so sold, after a few other matters she is now in a fantastic home but I miss her I want her back ( not going to happen).
she was sold for financial reasons not that I never wanted her, only my wage coming in at that time, I now wish on hind sight that I loaned her out that way she would still be mine.
Regrets lots of them. have to live with it.

HOWEN

Visit site
I sold a welsh section d as 2/3 year old and regretted it straight away even though he went to the most amazing place and was looked after so well. Anyway last Christmas bored at work, trying to look busy but actually searching horses for sale as you do! Well there he was!! I bought him back after convincing the OH it was a fantastic idea and how my world would be complete with him back in my life and we need 4 horses (few tears and tantrums needed)!! 2 weeks later off we went and picked him up. I am so pleased to have him home and he will never be sold again.

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I have advertised my mare today. Quite emotionless doing it to be honest. Yes she is for sale, but it doesnt mean I have to sell her any time soon. I am going to try and bond with her and all being well and she starts to make progress with the girl who is going to ride her, I may start riding her again.

I'm watching the XC thinking that I would love to do that. I cant ever see me and my mare doing that... Cant even imagine getting on her at the minute.

AntxGeorgiax

Visit site
Just going through this now !

Sold a lovely but quirky horse to a person who was to give it a long term home and the stability it needed.

Turns out they were a dealer and the horse has been advertised all over the internet at over double the price I sold it for, after just a few weeks.

Pity the poor unsuspecting person who has now brought it.

I wish I could get it back and will be watching out for it re appearing on the internet as I'm sure the issues this horse has will cause it to end up in a downwards spiral :-(

I have seen this happen so many times! I think the best thing you can do is just talk to the dealer and try and find out his new home, and talk to the people.
Good luck xxx

Fransurrey

Visit site
I had a pony who's napping and rearing I'd all but sorted, then loaned out when I moved due to partner's job. Whilst on loan, I lost half my grazing and so when the loaner wanted to return him (cock and bull story about her Dad losing his job - turned out she wanted a bigger horse), I decided to sell him for a nominal fee (I'd got him free - the fee was to cover his tack that I'd owned). All seemed well with the new owners and I kept in touch after the sale until I went on holiday, a week and a half later. I discovered by someone that he'd actually been sold to a dealer, immediately after I'd gone on holiday (the sale was arranged before, so I was still around and the 'he's doing really well' emails were all lies). I found the dealer, but she wanted £1000 for him (I'd sold him for £150) and I just didn't have the money at the time, so she promised she'd pass on my details to whoever bought him, but I never heard anything. Tried to contact her again and she ignored emails and never answered the phone.

Last edited:

vieshot

Visit site
I had a forester from a yearling. Did all the handling myself, broke him in blah blah blah. I was in a job at the time working long hours and felt I didn't have the time to do a youngster justice. I sold him for a cheap price to a nice home. I was okay for a few months but then every other thought on my mind was for him. I had nightmares about the type of home he may end up in or the life he may lead. I got in contact with the new owner and bought him back.....for five times as much. Worth every penny and I would pay it all again. He has a home for life.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Yes, I regret selling my hunter now as with all the different changes in my life, he'd now fit in like an old hand and be perfect for everything.
But that's life, fortunately there are plenty of nice horses to be had and I hope to replace him one day :)

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I am 95% sure I am doing the right thing. I wont sell her to anyone if it doesn't feel "right"
You never know, something may happen in the near future that will make me change my mind x

WestCoast

Visit site
My teenage horse was sold to a dealer - I was unwell and doing my A levels at the time. Never knew what happened to him and I always hope that he got a good home. But he was a difficult little wotsit at the time and well into his teens. I'm not sure I could do it again.

Paula

creamsoda

Visit site
Sold my daughters pony last June. Emma was meant to go to Uni. but changed her mind. We owned Ash since she was 3 nearly 4 and Emma did all the hard work with her. Ash gave her all her confidence back and I miss her so much. Weekends are boring now. Luckily her new owner keeps in touch via Facebook and we may go see her this weekend:)

lastchancer

www.facebook.com
Yes, I bitterly regret selling one I parted with earlier this year, if anyone knows of a blue/white gelding called Davey's Boy do please message me. There's photo's of him on my profile page.

lilly1

Visit site
I backed and sold a horse for a family member two years ago. I’ve owned / worked with many horses over the years but I really clicked with this one and was gutted when she sold. This story has a happy ending though. I’ve just bought her back and picked her up at the weekend :). This is her on the left reunited with her old field mate.

3bh

Visit site
I sold a big smart young horse I'd had from a 2yo a couple of years ago, we had shown him successfully at county and SHBGB national show, hunted him with bloodhounds, however was very quirky and tricky and ultimately I felt he wasn't ever going to be the horse I wanted him to be, wanted to do ladies hunter and top level showing and he just didn't have that in him, he was also a stubborn so and so about loading and being 17.3hh and me going everywhere on my own it just didn't work. He went to be a mans ride eventing which was perfect.

Did a bit of internet searching lately to see if he was out and about and found he'd been through Leominster twice in the last 6 months, for only pennies. Sometimes I think I am tempted to get in touch and get him back, but then I remember the angst we went through, and think of the lovely young horse I have brought on from scratch in the time since him who might not be so well bred or classically correct but is out there doing BD, affiliated showing, hunting, pleasure rides, you name it ... and remember that not every horse will be to be the right one for you and there's no shame in not clicking with a horse.

Does make me wonder though, if these people know what they are getting for their £400? He has changed stable name but still has his passport and the "proper" name I gave him. The sales blurb is at best vague, can't help but think if someone knew what he had done before they might battle through his quirks. Trouble is he was a flashy good looking horse that I know would catch a woman's eye, but is a mans horse through and through.

So, if you've had the big grey "Archie" out of leominster, PM me!

HaffiesRock

Visit site
My pony completely blanked me today. Went down to her field to feed her and she showed no interest in me what so ever :O(
I just hope this sale doesnt drag on for ever x