Who here rides in shorts when its hot?

Quartz

Visit site
Its boiling today, already 30 degrees and getting hotter. I need to pop down to the yard to practice my dressage test for Thursday, but was thinking of just wearing my shorts with long boots. I know we are not allowed to do this, but no one will be there at lunchtime today so no one would know!!!

So who would ride in shorts and if not why not?

LizzyandToddy

Visit site
I've ridden in shorts, just make sure they aren't baggy and loose, the biggest problem though is pinching from the stirrup leathers, but i really wouldn't want to ride in anything else on a day like this - not for any length of time anyway! x

indie999

Visit site
Yes I have done and never again..Apart from trees etc scratching I got sore calf from the saddle flap rubbing ...blisters by the time I came back from hack! That was the only thing

I ride in sexy wellies sometimes 3/4 ones at that! Very fetching!

Quartz

Visit site
In this heat I think I will only ride for 30-40 mins anyway. Just want to go through it a couple of times. Just can't bear the thought of jods and boots and hat.

SophieLouBee

Visit site
Why not wear a pair of leggings, thinner than jods but you wont get your legs rubbed? :)

I once rode in a swimming costume when I was about 14....

Oberon

Visit site

quirky

Visit site
I doubt you'd be able to ride effectively in shorts due to the rubbing and pinching of the leathers.

It might be okay for a bumble about.

I don't, as others have said, the pinching is just too much to bear :eek:.

NU ABO

Visit site
I would only do it if riding bareback, I couldn't bare to think of the pinching and the pain.

I do have the most amusing tan marks from riding in the sun yesterday though XD
Paler hands where my gloves were, reddish-tanned arms and lilley white legs

Perhaps I'll do some bareback riding in shorts myself, see if I can even myself out a bit :p

JFTDWS

Visit site
yeah all the time. shorts, joddy boots and bikini top :)

dont seem to suffer with pinching, perhaps im just special :p lol

you and me both kid :D I love riding in shorts, hacking/schooling/jumping - don't have a problem with pinching or rubbing, and I would simply die in jodhs and long boots in this heat!

BigRed

Visit site
Have you seen the saddle cover the the Queen uses, I bet that is comfy when you are bare legged. It looks like a huge sheepskin numnah, but it goes over the top of the whole saddle, including the leathers. I find that the horseflies seem to zero in on my legs if I ride barelegged.

Quartz

Visit site
I doubt you'd be able to ride effectively in shorts due to the rubbing and pinching of the leathers.

It might be okay for a bumble about.

I don't, as others have said, the pinching is just too much to bear :eek:.

I can infact now confirm that yes the pinching is too much!! I took some jeggings with me and wore my shorts to the yard, but once there and ready I was soooo hot that I just hopped on with my shorts on. Really regret it, as could not work properly for all the things I needed to practice. Also have two large pince marks, which look like they could blister as I had to carry on regardless!!!

gonebananas

Visit site
I rode in my shorts and long boots yesterday no problem, I thought they were going to pinch but they didn't although as someone else said i rode short so it didn't bother me :eek:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
What??? Have you seen my legs???

I might scare the horse nevermind the innocent onlookers!!!

Did that when I was young, sticky skin and leather do not mix well. I might ride in longer shorts but not short shorts.

OneInAMillion

Visit site
I have only ever ridden in shorts (with a saddle) once, the pain was too much! Massive bruises and blisters. Now shorts and riding only come out if I'm going bareback

Dizzle

Visit site
Ouch! No way!

When it’s really hot I ride in leggings, a cheap light coloured pair from Primark last a few weeks but are half the thickness of jods.

My friend’s mum used to ride in summer in shorts with exercise bandages wrapped round her legs, she has interesting fashion sense :D

Quartz

Visit site
Ouch! No way!

When it’s really hot I ride in leggings, a cheap light coloured pair from Primark last a few weeks but are half the thickness of jods.

My friend’s mum used to ride in summer in shorts with exercise bandages wrapped round her legs, she has interesting fashion sense :D

Hahahahahaha thats hilarious!!! They would really think I had lost the plot if I did that!!!

olop

Visit site
I always ride in shorts or cropped trousers or leggings. I hate riding in jods! I never get leather pinches either so my skin must be hard as nails :eek: