Who keeps horses at home?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
And unless someone has already said, unless you are permanently changing use on land, you can set up jumps/dressage arena on grass and not have to suffer planning permission I believe.

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
I keep mine at home, originally had one plus my sisters pony which worked pretty well for riding together but impossible to go anywhere alone (lessons, shows etc) as it wasn't fair to leave one and my horse got really attached to the pony, it was a pain having to take him everywhere with us and if one had to have box rest the other had to stay in too (we are not within sight of any other horses).

I then bought a broodmare which helped with taking just one away but not good for taking two out for the day. Once the foal arrived it all now works with 4!!

However my sisters pony died earlier this year, we did get a 2 year old to bring the number back to 4 and I brought the broodmare back into work for my sister but she has now lost interest and I am finding it very lonely doing all the jobs on my own, riding alone all the time etc.

In fact I am considering selling the house and buying somewhere with more land and stables so that I can have some liveries to keep me company.

Amy1990

Visit site
We moved our 2 home from a yard around 10years ago, all started out well but the cob became so attached to his companion that I couldn't go out riding on my own, so we ended up re-homing an old shetland 6 years ago. He didn't see her as a suitable companion so we gave up on that and I resigned myself to riding around the field! (no arena here)
We now have 4 horses here on 2 acres, its not great but we have 1 acre(ish) of garden we can use if needed. The shetland spends most of her time in the garden anyway now that shes getting older.
We had 4.5 acres originally but ended up selling half back as we had way too much grass

We were lucky that our house already had an old barn in the garden that we converted into stables

Ours live out all summer and come in at night in the winter, it is hard work, getting in and turning out in the dark, any hold ups on the way home just makes everything later, but we haven't regretted it for a second

TheXRaceHorse

Visit site
I keep ours at home, we have 2x-racers and pony(shortly going)
The first X-racehorse is EXTREMLY attached to the pony, who is going to a new home this friday!:( We only got the second X-racer about three weeks ago, all seems well with him. He is not really too attched on any one (but that might be as he has not settled in yet?) Xracers can get very attached, i would get the shetland as a compainion, because also you will need to shoe the xracer (throughbreds are known for hoof problems) and they can be a hassel rugging in the winter, they will also need horse feed. Shetlands are pretty 'hardy', eat less and could live of grass all year round.:)

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
yes, I have 3 at home-although I rent and so don't have to worry about fence maintenance or muckheap removal. I have two paddocks, one about 1.5 acres and one of ~3.5/4. I also have stables, school, tack room etc.
All 3 are good doers, 2 exmoors and one other. all can be left alone-I think with youngsters if you can introduce this early on there is less of a problem. a strict routine is generally not great way to have a happy, well rounded horse ime so as soon as you put new horses together, practice separating them often-even if just for a few minutes to brush one/do feet etc. all of mine come in on own/in different combinations-really important if they need to be in for any reason or you just want to ride one!

I love natives, they are super easy in the winter but requite more effort in the summer-including the expense of hay if they can't have 24/7 grass. they are not an easy option unless you have 'poor', ie good hill grazing. having really good doers with a poor one would be annoying and vice versa.

even though I don't have fencing etc I have to poo pick, pull ragwort,make sure fields aren't ruined, check horses even when I had food poisoning/flu. It makes it harder to have days/weeks away (what are those lol!).everything is your responsibility from supplying feed/hay to knowing when they aren't quite right and alot of owners (not directed at OP) actually have no idea all that their livery yard does for them.
It's hard work but wouldnt have it any other way-have dreamed of having them at home since I was a nipper. I also have a supportive OH although not horsey-he does help when/where he can/must.

xTrooperx

Visit site
i bring my boy back home in winter as not got enough grass all year and i dont fancy driving back and forth in the ice/snow. he only has cows as friends at home and seems fine, but this is only for a limited time then back with his friends.