Who knows about passport rules?

unbalanced

Visit site
So, my YO has decided to get strict with us and check our passports after hearing that DEFRA showed up at her friend's yard and spent 5 HOURS there checking all the horses' passports against their markings etc. She doesn't keep our passports (in case she loses them or they get stolen and we might need them for a show or something) but she likes to have a list of their numbers.

This has got me a bit worried because although, like a good citizen, I do have a passport for my pony, it's not a very good one. It has her colour wrong (says dark bay - please look at my photo album and tell me what colour you think she is!) and has her freezemark wrong). She got it when she was on loan with one of the generic organisations and it says her breeding is unknown and stuff. I'm a bit worried that if DEFRA were actually to show up like they did to YO's friend I would be, as they say, stuffed. It is legitimately hers, I just think the vet that did it must have signed the paperwork in winter when she had her thick winter woolies on (and possibly in the dark).

I want to change it to a breed society passport and I have had her microchipped. Does anyone know how you get rid of a passport and get a new one with a different organisation? Also, what would happen if someone actually checked her passport and basic things like colour and freezemark were wrong?

Fauvea

Visit site
She looks like a very dark bay to me. On one of the photos where you are jumping we can see the black lower legs, so she's dark brown with black points.

Dubsie

Visit site
We aquired an old pony with well known breeding - his dad was Wingrove Minkino who sired loads of HOYS winners. He came with a very boring passport with almost no information other than colour and markings, or about his breeding, plus a sheaf of papers with all his pedigree for years back from the National Pony Society. So as I had to get a new passport + had had microchip I sent it all to the NPS who for I think a £10 or £20 fee cancelled the old passport with the old issuer, and issued a new NPS blue one with all his breeding in it, thus cutting down on my paperwork and giving me a smart passport with a wipe clean cover that is far more durable than the card bound thing he had before. I think the cost to me was just £5-10 more than getting the old passort registered with change of owner.

I would suggest ring the breed society and see what they suggest. NPS were very helpful.

OWLIE185

Visit site
If you go by the word of the law then the passports must be in posession of the keeper of the horse. So in the case of a livery yard the passports should be kept at the yard. If the details on your passport are incorrect then you need to get them corected by sending the passport back to the passport issuing authority. Regarding changing passports from one issuer to another you will need to contact both passport issuers and ask them if they can carry out a transfer from one to the other.

GingerCat

Visit site
Unfortunately a horse can only have one passport.

What breed is she? Do you know anything of her lineage?

I suppose that you could 'lose' the current passport, but you can't register a horse with a breed society 'just like that' :confused:

You need proof of parentage , a covering certificate etc.

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
If you go by the word of the law then the passports must be in posession of the keeper of the horse.

I think we need to define the word 'keeper' first.

In my situation who would you describe as the 'keeper' of my horse?

My horse is on a DIY yard which provides a stable and a field (access to water in both). I've paid for everything else including rubber matting, haybar, buckets etc etc. I do all the work associated with 'keeping' my horse from feeding (including buying), exercise along with organising farriers, blacksmith, physio, dentists etc. My YO does nothing with any horses on the yard (apart from her own) - it's truely a DIY situation. YO does maintain the property, fields, arena/equipment. Sources and stores the hay/straw/ haylege which is then bought by us.

I would say I was the keeper of the horse in this situation and therefore should hold onto the passport, not the YO.

What do others think?

Spotsrock

Visit site
Our yard defines keeper as person responsible on day to day basis, ie it's DIY so me. My sisters horse is on loan to a girl up there in my supervision so I hold it as she is under 16 and I am responsible for horse. I could get it to yard in under 15 mins if DEFRA ever showed up though. Could take YO that long to find specific ones I guess.

unbalanced

Visit site
I know the parentage and everything because I bought her from her breeder who is actually at my livery yard now by random coincidence(!!!) and owned both parents until they died. My mare was registered with the breed society (suppose she still is) at birth and when I got her we got the breed certificate although that got lost somewhere over the years. So the breed society have at least heard of her even if she isn't passported with them!
I think I will give them a call and see if they can get rid of the old passport and give me a shiny new one with the right details. Do we think she is a bay after all then? I thought she was 'sunbleached black'. Is that not a colour? She gets a yellowy orange mane and tail in the summer y'see...
YO figures as long she keeps our passport numbers she will be ok if DEFRA comes to call because she can prove she's seen them and then she will call us and make us bring them up straight away. She would rather we were responsible for our own paperwork as we are all DIY and like I've said, she would hate for them to be stolen or something. If she gets in trouble for it it's her lookout. It suits me because I can just keep it with my travel stuff then I never forget to take it with me before taking the pony out - if YO had it I would definitely forget! New yard this weekend though so might well be new rules and I might just have to organise myself a bit better...

unbalanced

Visit site
Unfortunately a horse can only have one passport.

What breed is she? Do you know anything of her lineage?

I suppose that you could 'lose' the current passport, but you can't register a horse with a breed society 'just like that' :confused:

You need proof of parentage , a covering certificate etc.

She's a Welsh D. I used to have a breed cert (bought her from her breeder in '99) but it got lost a few years ago. I imagine WP&CS still have it on record though. I know her breeder (at my livery yard) and she owned her parents up until they died. The only reason she has a generic passport is she was on loan when passports came in and her loaner had so many passports to get done (I was abroad and completely uncontactable, no access to email, phone or anything) that she did them all through the same generic society for simplicity's sake to make sure she was legal as soon as possible.

Naryafluffy

Visit site
Oh Dear, my vet has my passport, easie when i need her repeat presecription sent out I can just phone, no longer have to worry about forgetting her passprt, or not having it in the case of an emergency.
To be fair it wasn't on purpose, she went over to get teeth sorted and was getting sedated and put in the stocks, I then forgot to take it with me and they've had it ever since.