Who lives at parents still so they can keep a horse?

Least favourite person?

• Total voters

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
As above really thought I would do a quick poll. If you are in compulsory education unfortunately you do not count as I am really intrigued to know how many of you are like me.
I am 26 and live at home because I can keep a horse for free. There is no way I could afford livery and I also get transport. I am sure if I did not have my horse then I would not be at home.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Ditto here - 27 and live at home on the farm because otherwise 2 horses and overheads would cripple me.

I am trying to get a mobile home though!! (oh the luxury!!)

Malibu

Visit site
i live at home with two horses (another one on loan to other family) I am ONLY 17!!!! not sure what i am doing after school, this time next year, i am plannig on taking gap year to work and then uni hgopefully, will have to take one on livery with me! so not sure what i shall do later on in life. I would like to get some land and build some stable with a house later on! gosh im glad i am only 17!

piaffe

Visit site
Hmm, i couldnt really answer. I do not live with my parents but I do live in my dads other place, rent free. i guess, i had no horse i could maybe afford to rent (probably not) but i am happy to stay here so that i can afford to keep the horses

teapot

Visit site
live at home but no horse.

But living at home means I can still ride though and had Baron earlier this year

KatB

Visit site
I'm 20 and moved away for 8mnths as a working pupil, so took horsey with me! now come home and there is not a chance in hell I would survive financially without living at home! My horse is on livery, but thats my "rent" money!! Lol!

4whitesocks

Visit site
Not living at home (am 32 so no great surprise there) but am rueing the day my Mum decided to sell the farm (6 years ago) there were at least 8 stables of various sizes and shapes.....

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Im 24 and i still live at home with my parents. I keep both mine and my sisters horses at home... wouldn't have it any other way at the moment!!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I could just not afford to move out - its the only way I can afford to event as much as I do. I am very lucky in so many ways but its sometimes hard to live with your parents!

darkangel1243

photobucket.com
I sold my house and moved my family in to my parents house.Granted they have bought a house and 20 acres just so I could keep my horses on at home and eventually build our own pad down by the stables.
I'm 33,Oh (38), 2 kids, 2 dogs and living with my parents**runs and hides**can be fun luckly we have our own section of the house so not quite living with but I am if that makes sense??

buckybee

Visit site
No - but my pony lives at my mums and i don't pay very much for him to live there - although a really should start or she's gonna get mad!!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I made a lateral move from father to finance...I mean fiance
tongue.gif

MissDeMeena

Visit site
I'm 24 and still live at home.. tho i'm always thinking of ways to move out.. i get on REALLY well with mum and dad, but being my parents, they're always going to treat me like a child, and i can't really kick up a fuss.

My one and only plan at the mo is to move up to Lamborne area, get a job with free accom. in a racing yard, and keep horses DIY as close to that yard as poss..
Only downsides are.. i have started to gain a few 'owners' down here, which i obviously don't want to lose.. and mum and dad are also rather handy with a lorry (and the free diesel that goes in it)
I pay for everything else, but diesel and the need to buy a lorry (unless i can talk mum and dad into letting me have this one) are the main problems.

Patches

Visit site
My situation is a bit different.

I live with my in-laws, sort of. The farmhouse is just too big for them, so we had it split in two and we live in the larger half with the children. They live "next door" but in reality they open the dividing door to allow kids to go up there for babysitting whilst I go out on horses or help on farm etc. Dividing doors are shut in the evenings though!

They do not fund my four horses or my chooks etc. Just convenient babysitters!

However the farm has been in their family for generations and is therefore long paid for. The farm pays for all utilities etc anyway as it's a business premises, with us running a large dairy unit. We just pay for food and sky!

I couldn't afford four horses if we didn't have our own land as livery would cripple me. Also, mother in law doesn't mind having kids whilst I am only outside but she'd hate me to be off the farm at a livery yard incase things go wrong, so it'd never work anyway.

S_N

Visit site
Well I live at home, but not nec. through choice! I hope to be moving out soon. The horses are at livery, so it makes no odds where I live in relation to them!

Patches

Visit site
Arrr but have you missed the point here SN?

I know it'd make no difference where you lived in relation to getting to the yard to see your two...BUT...could you afford to keep them at all if you had a house and bills to run too or can you only afford them because of living at home?

S_N

Visit site
No, I haven't missed the point at all, I said "I hope to be moving out soon" - therefore one would be right to assume that my circumstances are changing!! Adding the bit about the horses being at livery, was purely because nearly everyone who has replied to this thread has their horses at their parents as well!

Patches

Visit site
Arrrr....I see.

You answered my reply then, you don't live at home just to afford the horses at all. Good luck with the change in circumstances. Reading, rightly or wrongly, between the lines I'm assuming that means there's something exciting in the offing?

S_N

Visit site
Yeah - I was being lazy, using quick reply
tongue.gif
grin.gif
Trying to watch Graham Norton too, after 1/2 a bottle, I canna do 2 things at once ya know! Possibly - fingers crossed
grin.gif

Patches

Visit site
Sounds like you're having a merry old time.

Only drink I touch is coffee! Such an entertaining life I lead. Good luck then, I won't cross my fingers as I'll not be able to type!
grin.gif

MillionDollar

Visit site
That is so wierd thats what i want to do, was thinking of mobile home or a log cabin!
I'm 20, I live on a farm with my family, go to college and i am (hopefully) going to diversify farm into a livery yard, so won't be able to move yet!

riotgirl

Visit site
I feel so much better reading this post! I still live at home (am 28) and keep my horses at home. Couldn't afford a horse if I had to move out.

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
I wish I could still live at home but my folks live about 12 000 miles away. Somehow I pay for a tiny flat for myself and Molly, still waiting for that rich man to come along - will be moving in with Molly at the rate my bank balance is depleting!

Niamhy

photobucket.com
I live at home, while I dont pay for livery (as I look after 6 horses as Yo is in hospital for the past while).

However there is no way I could have afforded to save for a jeep or a horsebox (went halves on the box with my friend) if I wasnt living at home. Currently paying off loan I took out for jeep, and saving money for a house of my own.

I couldnt have paid rent on top of all that, and been able to afford horsey stuff. Im 26 by the way!

TGM

Visit site
Not now - but before I met my OH I lived with my parents purely because I couldn't afford mortgage/rent and to keep a horse.

Nic

Visit site
Im 20 I Live at home & keep ponies there too. Couldn't afford them if I had to pay livery & have just taken on another
crazy.gif

Tempi

Visit site
i live at home, but i pay everything to do with Bloss, entry fees/diesel/half of the lorry/keep etc....i also pay rent, but only £100 a month. If i didnt have a horse i could comfortable have my own mortgage by now...........but i wouldnt change anything for the world!! i have my indenpendance and go out most evenings with friends so i am perfectly happy. i also help a lot around the house with cooking cleaning and shopping.

BBs

Visit site
Still live at home, did move out, then returned due to not being able to afford to
frown.gif

Horses are on DIY livery, although mum always pays for my older horse (livery/shoes) and winstons insurance. I pay for all feed, hay/straw, diesel, entryfees and winstons livery etc.

I absolutely love having the horses at the new yard, and a flat is available to rent - however, I jsut cant afford that atm! but should I get some horses in over the winter I may consider it
smile.gif

MdeM seeing as Lamborne is only down the road from me, I say you share said flat with me, let me have your horses at livery with me - and you go play racing at Lamborne lol

Kelly1982

Visit site
I live at home with my parents so that i can afford to keep my horse.

I moved out for a year when i had a break from riding but moved back home again when i started again so i could afford it.