Who mucks out like this??!

cumbriamax

Visit site
hmm I do it very similarly but there is always more muck than that in my stables (thier horses must be well trained and houseproud:D), but some of mine are on shavings and we have rubber matting.

not sure I would like tiled walls in my stables though.

bigboyrocky

Visit site
Thats how i muck out straw minus scrubbing the walls down! I just dont fill the whole stable, more like 3/4 as hay and water buckets go at the front :) Now moved to shavings though again, woop woop!

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Can't say that we muck out like that but have been to yards where they're similarly immaculate. On one the owner told us quite proudly that if there was more than one dropping in the stable during the day the groom would get a warning and if it happened more than once that would be it :eek: (Good job they hadn't seen our yard :eek:)
But then the horses there only went from stable - walker - stable and were fed hydroponic grass. We bought one from there, turned it out in the field (with others) and he stood in the gateway for two days before he worked out what to do :(

smac

Visit site
Lol, this post reminds me of one from other day- was it called how many hho does it take to muck out a stable...

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
And did anyone else notice that she cleaned around the drinker and the walls before using the same sponge to actually wipe out the actual bit the horse drinks out of?

Harry Mead is a bit hot though isn't he.....;)

trottingon

Visit site
Hmm, a bit odd, but I suppose everyone has their own way of mucking out. What I didn't understand was wiping down the walls around the feeders with plain water, saying it reduces chances of infection? Since when could anything be washed thoroughly and disinfected with plain water???

RuthnMeg

Visit site
And did anyone else notice that she cleaned around the drinker and the walls before using the same sponge to actually wipe out the actual bit the horse drinks out of?

Noticed this ^^

Mucking out = no problem, but wiping the walls down EVERY day seems a bit excessive for me. (that would be one a week job?)

Gamebird

Visit site
ME! :eek: I don't have a drinker or a manger though so am spared those bits (though my feed and water buckets get scrubbed out every day). Might explain why it takes me 45mins to do two horses :rolleyes:

I worked in a showing yard for a while where the boss used to take a spirit level to your banks. They had to come half way up a certain brick in the wall and not move at all if someone sat on them. The bed had to be so thick that you could drop a pitchfork, prongs down, into it from a height and if you could hear the tines hitting the floor it wasn't deep enough.

There was a fab video on horsehero a while ago with Wayne Garrick showing how to muck out a shavings bed which is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Weezy

Visit site
That is how I muck out too! However, I use a poop-scoop to take out the droppings and therefore waste no straw at all. Clean straw all goes up, wet comes out, floor is clean. I clean my water bucket and feed buckets every day...so no, cannot see anything odd there!

Halfstep

Visit site
I muck out like this too, although without quite the same level of obsession, or loss of clean straw. Have to say, that straw does look gorgeous, my horse would take one look and think he'd been brought to a Michelin stared restaurant :eek:

icestationzebra

Visit site
I perhaps didn't word it very well.... it wasn't the technique that I thought was odd, it was the fact that the stable was so clean!! 1 dropping and what looked like two tiny wet patches. She said she needed to take out the wet horrible stuff from under the drinker, but again that looked dry.

I'd happily take the stuff out of her wheelbarrow and put it into my box if I used straw!:D

PerdixPerdix

Visit site
lol, i wouldnt wash down the walls with just a sponge and water, id use a dettol spray fgs!

im proper anal with stables though, i blame my old boss, they have to look immaculate, banks all the exact same height/width, the shavings/straw in a perfectly straight line with a little gap before the door ect, and i would clean out all buckets and water troughs.

and my heart would break a little bit every time the horses would march in and ruin it! i actually love mucking out though so maybe im the weirdo.

kerilli

Visit site
Hmm, tbh I think that if you are going to have straw bed and banks, the banks need to be higher if they really are going to 'prevent injury' as claimed. I stabled over somewhere once with 4' high straw banks, it was amazing.
I can't see the point of washing down the walls, drinker and manger with just water, how is that going to prevent any bacteria etc? I'd use essential oils or a very weak disinfectant.
As for tiles on the walls, they look beautiful but they'd terrify me. My visiting horse kicked out at the wall the other night hard enough to put his toe through it (wooden wall) and pull a hind shoe off. That's bad enough, but no injury at all to horse, and no shards etc. The thought of what that kind of kick would do to tiles, and the potential for self-harming with shards of tiles all night, make me shudder...

amage

Visit site
I perhaps didn't word it very well.... it wasn't the technique that I thought was odd, it was the fact that the stable was so clean!! 1 dropping and what looked like two tiny wet patches.

They probably skip out several times a day! Ours would tend to be as clean as that as they are usually turned out for most of the day unless coming up to a race and then we do a good skip out in the evenings. The one horse that hates turnout and is in more gets skipped out twice a day. We wouldn't waste that much clean straw though!