Who pays for the vetting for a replacement horse from a dealer?

BlueNizhoni

New User
Visit site
I recently bought a horse which passed a 5 stage vetting. 2 weeks later it became apparent there was a pre-existing injury to one of its tendons. The dealer agreed to take it back & find a replacement, from my understanding of the legal rights I should not incur any expenses relating to a replacement horse, does this include the vetting? The dealer is refusing to pay for it.
Thanks

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I would be requiring my money back and not taking anything off the dealer as a replacement. I would also be asking the vet why a tendon injury did not present at the vetting. Did you use your own vet or one recommended to you by the dealer.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would be requiring my money back and not taking anything off the dealer as a replacement. I would also be asking the vet why a tendon injury did not present at the vetting. Did you use your own vet or one recommended to you by the dealer.

Definitely this. I would be refusing to pay for the first vetting and using that money to vet my next horse, which would not come from that dealer.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Definitely this. I would be refusing to pay for the first vetting and using that money to vet my next horse, which would not come from that dealer.

I agree with YCBM and AA, although multiquote doesn't seem to work lately.
If the dealer didn't agree to a refund, I should involve Trading Standards.

Theocat

Visit site
No idea of the legalities, but if it was an injury that should have been picked up at a vetting, I'd be expecting the vet to cover the cost of the second one!

Impossible to judge from what you've said if the dealer is a wrong 'un or not - if a vet missed the injury, it's perfectly possible the dealer was unaware of it too. I wouldn't be too hasty to write them off, unless you think they deliberately deceived you - and if you don't have evidence that they knew, it could be hard to argue for your money back if they've agreed to exchange.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The horse may be clean legged and a subsequent scan has shown an old injury, that would explain why nothing was found on the pre purchase vetting possibly. The OP needs to give a bit more background on the horse.

alainax

Visit site
Let's say dealer agreed to a full refund, and you found the replacement horse elsewhere. You wouldn't expect dealer 1 to pay to vet the new horse. If anyone should, it should be the vet.