Who remembers the Caroline Akrill 'Eventer's Dream' trilogy.... there's a NEW 4th book!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I am super excited - this new 4th book will be arriving tomorrow! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Courses-Ho...&sprefix=caroline+akrill,stripbooks,97&sr=1-1

The original three eventers dream books were my absolute favourites. The stories of Elaine and the Fane sisters were just hilarious, but also gritty and believable in their own way... I cannot wait to get stuck into reading the new one!

Anyone else have favourite bits or memories from the trilogy? I personally love the story of the old grey horse in the 2nd book...

And just in case you've forgotten or need memory jogging, here are the synopsis back cover blurbs about the original 3:

Eventer's Dream:

I planned to find myself a sponsor in the shape of a sympathetic employer …

Elaine is determined to make it on her own as an eventer. A wildly eccentric family whose relationship with equine welfare is sketchy, whose house and stables are about to fall down, and who have no financial sense whatsoever is not part of the plan. No one could possibly, not even in a dream, think that this would be the best way to start off an eventing career.

Could they?

A Hoof in the Door:

Elaine has found her potential event horse and her career is being sponsored by the impecunious and eccentric Fane sisters. But there is professional training to pay for and equipment and saddlery to buy and the Fanes, naturally, are short of cash. Caroline Akrill gives an authentic and often hilarious insight into the world of horses she knows so well as totally unsuitable horses from the Fanes' notoriously awful livery yard are pressed into events and competitions, ranging from the local Point-to-Point to the dignified elegance of the show ring, in the relentless pursuit of prize money to finance the training of the event horse. Just as they are beginning to realise that no amount of prize money will be sufficient for their needs, a golden opportunity for professional training presents itself only to end in catastrophe. Will Elaine and Another Legend ever get to the starting post?

Ticket to Ride:

Elaine has won a place on a training course for potential event riders but first she has to shake off the eccentric Fane sisters who still insist that they own a share in her event horse. This proves no easy task and, at the training centre, Elaine's problems increase. The exacting standards sent by the instructor and the rivalry between the students cause her to doubt her ability . Not only that, but she begins to realise that the glossy, exclusive world of three-day eventing is not quite what it seems. With a gallery of memorable characters, both human and equine, lots of humour and some truly heart-stopping moments, Ticket to Ride brings this highly successful trilogy to a close.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
The Comet? Except he wasn't really The Comet? He had quite the back story?

That's the one. It's why I have very strict instructions for my NHOH as to what happens to the horses if I ever have an accident -- no selling them out from under me leaving me with ghost horses in stables! Stuff of nightmares...

Lexi_

Visit site
Oh exciting!! I learned to ride at a stables that reminded me a bit of the Fanes’ yard so I loved these books.

“Finding Genesis again has made an old lady very happy” ??

I must reread them soon. The characters in the third book have stayed with me for ages.

fetlock

Visit site
I'll have read them for sure, but can't remember a lot about those ones.

She was a wonderful writer. She also wrote a lot of show reports for H&H in days gone by, which were always a hugely entertaining read.

catembi

Visit site
I remember these! In fact, I probably still have them somewhere in my parents' attic...! Must dig them out...

WelshHoarder

Visit site
Absolutely loved these (in face re-read them recently on Kindle during a nostalgia trip!). Really looking forward to the 4th one

poacher82

Visit site
I was about to post this exact topic, having discovered the fourth book, Courses for Horses, down an accidental Amazon wormhole. I then bought ebay copies of the original three (mine are stuck in storage miles away that I don't have easy access to), and read all four this weekend - a wonderful trip down memory lane, and a great new book! So I just wanted to give this post a bump for anyone else who loved the original books and missed the original thread!

poacher82

Visit site
you always sound so busy, how do you find time to read!
Me? I don't post much on here so not sure you have the right person (although I am quite busy 😂)?! But generally, I love reading and if I'm stuck in to a book it's glued to me - book in one hand, stirring dinner with the other! Plus I had the lurgy at the weekend so there was far more sofa-dwelling than usual - about 3 hours of running didn't happen, for a start!

tristar

Visit site
Me? I don't post much on here so not sure you have the right person (although I am quite busy 😂)?! But generally, I love reading and if I'm stuck in to a book it's glued to me - book in one hand, stirring dinner with the other! Plus I had the lurgy at the weekend so there was far more sofa-dwelling than usual - about 3 hours of running didn't happen, for a start!

no sorry! it was O P i meant

however, well done for cooking and reading whilst having the lurgy, some skills there !