Who remembers WHS win a pony competition!

misst

Visit site
I did too every year and every year I was crushed that I did not win. I used to lie in bed and imagine someone coming to the door to say I'd won....
I had to wait until I had a daughter until we had horses - got there in the end ;-)

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
I was convinced I'd win every year but no ?

Had to wait til I was 32 for my first horse - he was an angel of an ex racer and definitely with the wait ?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I entered.

One year, I sent a 'proper' entry in; the tiebreaker was about why Jane was so happy or something. It was a flowery entry, like I thought they were really looking for.

Then I sent a second entry in, for the tiebreaker of why Jane was so happy I simply put, "Because Jane has a horse!!!"

Gutted not to win.

I sneakily hoped they may like the brutal honesty of the second entry!

Then, the winner of a lovely grey took him swimming in the sea. She was on the front cover, in the sea on the horse, in a bikini and with no hat. I was horrified and sure she didn't deserve the pony if she would ride without a hat!

Baywonder

Visit site
Oh yes, I remember it only too well!

I was banned from entering the competition, as my mother told me in no uncertain terms that even if I did win a pony, we could not afford to keep it.

I also remember scribbling over the face of the lucky winners every year too - although I always checked to make sure there wasn't a pony poster on the other side of the page beforehand! ?

GreyMane

Visit site
Oh yes. Heartbroken not to win, every year.
I seem to remember it was a lot of quite hard questions? Also remember Rags the Blue Peter pony and wondering, if I collected enough old rags, if I could afford a lovely pony like that!

Lois Lame

Visit site
I entered a competition to win a pony in 1974; the winner could choose between a Highland, a New Forest, an Exmoor... and what were the other two? I cannot remember for sure. We had to write which pony we'd prefer and why. (I think. Memory is sketchy there.) I wasn't sure what I'd do with the pony if I won because we would be going back home in a matter of months.

I suppose my parents thought I had Buckley's chance of winning because I don't remember any dramatics from mum --- but I would have ignored any of that anyway.

Ratface

Visit site
I never entered, but I had a pen friend who did. They lived in Kent and we lived in the Midlands. The pony was, I think, a piebald. I was invited to go for a visit. Riding him through a shallow stream, he slipped. I fell off and he accidentally trod on me. I've still got the scar on the back of my left leg from one of the nails.

chaps89

Visit site
I don’t remember the WH Smith one but I do remember the Your Horse one. I really wanted to enter but it was drilled into me that it wasn’t the cost of purchase but also the cost of keeping one and we couldn’t afford that.
A couple of years ago a lady on my share horses yard did actually win :)

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
I entered.

One year, I sent a 'proper' entry in; the tiebreaker was about why Jane was so happy or something. It was a flowery entry, like I thought they were really looking for.

Then I sent a second entry in, for the tiebreaker of why Jane was so happy I simply put, "Because Jane has a horse!!!"

Gutted not to win.

I sneakily hoped they may like the brutal honesty of the second entry!

Then, the winner of a lovely grey took him swimming in the sea. She was on the front cover, in the sea on the horse, in a bikini and with no hat. I was horrified and sure she didn't deserve the pony if she would ride without a hat!

Thst was the Win a Pony run by Pony mag.
I used to enter that too.... you are right, she didn't deserve the pony (should have been me) :D :D

mustardsmum

Visit site
I remember entering every year from about the age of 7! Was lucky enough in my teens to finally get a NF pony but not through WHS. I always suspected there was no pony - let’s be honest no one knows a winner and nobody ever says “I won!” ? I also entered a Kerrygold butter win a pony - I was a bit desperate……. ?

humblepie

Visit site
I can remember the one in Pony mag - it was really difficult, had lots of historical questions and literary questions. I used to go down the reference library and work my way through them. Gosh those were the days, no internet, just had to go through book after book to get the answers. I came second in a Pony mag competition once, sponsored by B & I Ferries. First prize was a holiday to Ireland strangely enough by ferry. Second prize was an Irish knit sweater but we did get to go the very posh presentation in London.

Lucky Snowball

Visit site
I was also a non winner of Smiths win a pony. One year we had to match foals to their dams. I was really hopeful of winning as I paired a black foal with a grey Welsh type and thought that no-one else would get it right !!!! I think the tie break was putting a caption to a long legged foal scratching behind his ear and standing on 3 legs.

luckyoldme

Visit site
Oh yes, I remember it only too well!

I was banned from entering the competition, as my mother told me in no uncertain terms that even if I did win a pony, we could not afford to keep it.

I also remember scribbling over the face of the lucky winners every year too - although I always checked to make sure there wasn't a pony poster on the other side of the page beforehand! ?
I feel your pain.
I can remember being very very upset and my dad sitting with me on the stairs explaining that they had four mouths to feed. He did pause before telling me that my idea of getting rid of my brothers and sister was not an option.

fetlock

Visit site
I probably did but can't remember.
I do remember entering a David Broome one and getting a runners up prize of a David Broome annual. There was a tongue twister final element to it and my dad came up with a cracking one with schockemöhle in it (shock em all) and another Broome related one too. We went with the former - probably not the greatest of ideas to base it on one of his main rivals..

millikins

Visit site
I won a 10 shilling book token as a runner up. I bought 4 books for 2/6 each, one was "Moonfleet" which remains a favourite children's book. I think my parents would have been horrified if I'd actually won.