Who rolls first?

fburton

Visit site
Quite a lot of simple commonsense there. However, one statement piqued my interest...

Sarah says: “The most socially confident horses in a group usually make their scent marks last. This includes being the last to roll, often in a favourite spot and near access points including gateways in a domestic setting.”

I'd love to see the research that showed this, assuming it exists. My first question would be: what does 'socially confident' mean and how was it measured?

Annagain

Visit site
Quite a lot of simple commonsense there. However, one statement piqued my interest...

Sarah says: “The most socially confident horses in a group usually make their scent marks last. This includes being the last to roll, often in a favourite spot and near access points including gateways in a domestic setting.”

I'd love to see the research that showed this, assuming it exists. My first question would be: what does 'socially confident' mean and how was it measured?

Me too. Arch usually does roll last, but only because he HAS to roll if he sees another horse roll. He'll roll first too if none of them are rolling as he's 3 or 4 rolls a day man :rolleyes:. I would describe him as "socially confident" but he's also bottom of the pile. He's not textbook at all when it comes to horse sociology. It's almost like his confidence comes from knowing his place and never challenging it. He is everybody's friend and never has any trouble from the top ranking horses. There are 5 of them in the field and three of the others will move out of his way for him to come through the gate whereas they'll guard the gate from each other. Those three will also protect him from the fourth horse. If he could get to A he would beat him up quite mercilessly but he's scared of the others and they simply won't let him anywhere near A. He definitely gets bossed about by the other three but it's all very good natured and he's the first one they come to for a groom or a play (I found him once in the middle of a three-way. He had one each side of him grooming him and he'd keep switching sides to groom them!). They never have to get nasty with him as he does what he's told and never threatens them. It seems to make for a very happy, easy life for him.

Janah

Visit site
My boy always rolled after everyone else even having previously rolled. I thought he was leaving his mark on ‘his’ patch. He was a great digger of wet rolling holes. He left fields he had been in with big holes of wallow mud, bless him.