Who should pay???

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
....When transporting a horse to a new home, if it involves hiring a transport co who should pay, the old owner or new owner?

Thanks

JenTaz

Visit site
The new owner, after all the horse is then their responsibility, unless previously discussed that transport/delivery would be included in the purchase price

nixxyz

Visit site
New owner i would have thought. I paid towards the diesel for the old owner to transport new horse to me with their waggon and we collected old loan horse too. Its nice if you can get delivery for free but i think id always collect or pay anyway.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
New owner should arrange it. If old owners agrees to bring the horse, it should be as a favour but full purchase price should be handed over first and the new owner would be responsible for insuring the horse from that point ie before the journey.

noodle_

Visit site
new owner!!

the seller i bought my mare from paid for it and dropped her off for me - but that was good will only i didnt expect that!!! (but i did pay in full and give her a bull**** free sale lasting 30 mins!!!)........:D

NativePonyLover

Visit site
As a new owner, I paid when I had to move Peter from his old home to me. It wasn't cheap as he lived in the New Forest and I was in Surrey at the time - but just one of those things! It also made it a lot more expensive when we discovered he didn't load as happily as assured by previous owner - and ended up paying for transporters additional time too. Dad wanted to charge the old owner for that (I had no intention to - but I did hear all about it on the journey home ....!)

OWLIE185

Visit site
I was very lucky as the old owners delivered my horse to me. I still have the picture of her arriving in a trailer being towed by a car. I had her for 21 years and she was ridden almost up until the end. (Just make sure that you insure the horse for the journey).

Lego

Visit site
The new owner of course - why should the old owner have to pay to send the horse to wherever the new home is? :confused:

magicmoose

Visit site
New owner takes on all costs and responsibilities once they own the horse. They or the transporters should also load the horse when it leaves, so that you are not liable if it prangs itself on the way up the ramp!

Mongoose11

Visit site
Erm, new owner. Why would it be the old owner. New owner surely pays for horse at point of pick up or collection?

windand rain

Visit site
New Owner
but if I was near enough and we had transport and they didnt and they had paid in full without haggling I may well deliver free up to say 60miles

Archiepoo

Visit site
ive delivered a few that ive sold but only once for nothing extra-it was a very special horse that i didnt really want to sell and he had had a hard time before i had him so i wanted to vet the home he was going to -it was a wonderful home and she adores him -but i still wish i hadnt sold him:rolleyes: