Who stayed with their horse for PTS by injection?

_GG_

Visit site
Thank you so much for all your posts. xxx

I have definitely made the right decision. I put him out on the field for his last morning and even on two Bute he was so sore and kept stumbling. It was sad to see because in himself he is so well and looks in great condition. But it did confirm I am doing the right thing. He was out with two yearlings who wanted to play but he kept telling them to go away. He just wanted his grass!

So far I'm feeling ok. I'm dealing with it at the moment by thinking he's going out for the summer to see his best friends who have already passed away. I'm hoping that will help me when it finally happens this afternoon. I've cleaned his stable out and I didn't get upset because I pretended I was putting him back out for the summer.

Now for a big bar of chocolate before getting ready to go back out!

Oh bless you. It is so difficult when they look so healthy but yes...as you say, you know you are doing the right thing and please believe me when I say that that knowledge will help you and be of some comfort to you eventually.

Sending huge hugs. Nobody knows our horses the way we do, so to have faith in your decision is all that matters and you are right...he will be able to go and play again, pain free and happy.

xxxxxxxxxx

Joanne4584

Visit site
Hi everyone.

I'm actually ok.... I feel like a weight has been lifted. Going to see him was getting hard, because it was horrible knowing he wasn't right. I know I did the right thing because he struggled to walk yesterday. He stood perfectly for the vet (as always). I gave him a few polos, rubbed his head and kissed his nose as he was injected (just a big syringe). He had his head high and ears forward (it was breezy so he was looking at the trees next to him). My vet took the lead rope as he fell. His head did smack against the floor which was a horrible sound, but I know he'd gone by then anyway.

He twitched a bit, then the vet confirmed he had gone. He took his head collar off for me and I asked if I could have a few minutes. He said of course, he would leave me to it. I thanked him and he left. Bertie blinked a few times and had a couple of little breaths, which really did look like he was still alive, but it was nice. My boyfriend stayed with me while I gave Bertie goodbye kisses and a hug. The YO wanted to cover him with tarpaulin but I used Bertie's rugs instead. So I left him all snuggled up and warm.

I left the YO to deal with the collection. I cried quietly but there was no sobbing. I couldn't talk about it without crying so I didn't speak. My BF was brilliant and gave me lots of cuddles. He stayed over and left this lunch time. I was worried I'd break down once he'd left but I've been ok.

I think I did most of my grieving in the days before. Now I'm glad it's over and that Bertie is back with his friends. I'm sure I am going to get upset over the next few days but I am so glad I was with Bertie at the end. Thank you for all your replies, reassuring me it would be ok being there. I think my BF and one of the lads who helps at the farm found it more traumatic to watch than me. I have wonderful memories of Bertie and I'm glad I got to say goodbye properly. We went for a walk last night and it was raining. As we walked back into my street, there was a full rainbow above my flat. That had me in tears. I think it was Bertie trying to tell me he was ok.

xxx

Emma_H

Visit site
Sounds like a lovely final journey for your boy.
Glad you're doing okay, remember him well and take care of yourself.
Sending a hug xx

3OldPonies

Visit site
Glad to hear that you are OK, well done for staying with him. What a lovely peaceful way to go, some favourite treats and a loving owner by your side.

Pipkin

Visit site
Glad you're ok. Its a hard thing to do. well done for staying.
Don't blame you for not staying for the collection, I did and it still haunts me 18 months on.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
AWWW I am glad your B/F was there when you have one that will stay with you on days like this when you need them most, they are few and far between.

Sounds like it went peacefully. Diamond was in the indoor school so I heard nothing when she went down. At least now you have got through it and hopefully you can share that with friends when they come to a day like this. That it is a peaceful way to go and it is ok to stay with them till the end. You will cry in the coming days and prob always shed a tear about Bertie, but they will be tears of happiness of the wonderful times you shared, sending huge vibes and look after yourself, you will need people around you for a while.

You will also need you time as well to cry and grieve on your own, I know I did/do. :)

I will never stay once they start hauling them in I walk away and left the truck owner and vet over saw her going in. That I could not watch.............

Last edited:

Spring Feather

Visit site
Sending you kind thoughts and a hug. When you know for sure it's the right thing to do, it makes everything so much easier on the day. You'll continue to have sad moments but they will lessen as time goes on.

maxapple

Visit site
Lots of love for you. I had my pony put to sleep last Monday - like you is had to make the decision due to his health. I felt relieved on the day and day after as I knew it was the only decision.

I am now just missing him so prepare to have a few moments days when you feel very sad.

Someone said to me it's the most important decision you can make for them so take heart in knowing you did the right thing.

Xxxx

PolarSkye

Visit site
Hi everyone.

I'm actually ok.... I feel like a weight has been lifted. Going to see him was getting hard, because it was horrible knowing he wasn't right. I know I did the right thing because he struggled to walk yesterday. He stood perfectly for the vet (as always). I gave him a few polos, rubbed his head and kissed his nose as he was injected (just a big syringe). He had his head high and ears forward (it was breezy so he was looking at the trees next to him). My vet took the lead rope as he fell. His head did smack against the floor which was a horrible sound, but I know he'd gone by then anyway.

He twitched a bit, then the vet confirmed he had gone. He took his head collar off for me and I asked if I could have a few minutes. He said of course, he would leave me to it. I thanked him and he left. Bertie blinked a few times and had a couple of little breaths, which really did look like he was still alive, but it was nice. My boyfriend stayed with me while I gave Bertie goodbye kisses and a hug. The YO wanted to cover him with tarpaulin but I used Bertie's rugs instead. So I left him all snuggled up and warm.

I left the YO to deal with the collection. I cried quietly but there was no sobbing. I couldn't talk about it without crying so I didn't speak. My BF was brilliant and gave me lots of cuddles. He stayed over and left this lunch time. I was worried I'd break down once he'd left but I've been ok.

I think I did most of my grieving in the days before. Now I'm glad it's over and that Bertie is back with his friends. I'm sure I am going to get upset over the next few days but I am so glad I was with Bertie at the end. Thank you for all your replies, reassuring me it would be ok being there. I think my BF and one of the lads who helps at the farm found it more traumatic to watch than me. I have wonderful memories of Bertie and I'm glad I got to say goodbye properly. We went for a walk last night and it was raining. As we walked back into my street, there was a full rainbow above my flat. That had me in tears. I think it was Bertie trying to tell me he was ok.

xxx

Oh bless your heart . . . sounds like a very peaceful going, and how brave and selfless you were to let him go when the time was right. Cherish your happy memories - they will get you through the dark times.

Much love.

Naomi x

julie111

Visit site
I'm glad you are ok and it went as well as it could. He is in a much better place now and your pain will heal with time! Hugs to you, take care x

Tiffany

Visit site
It's horrible having to make the decision isn't it but at least we can make it when they are in pain and haven't got a decent quality of life. Sorry for your loss.

I stayed with my gorgeous TB mare years ago. She went down like she would if getting down in her stable so it was all very calm and peaceful. It was still very upsetting although, I'm so pleased I was with her at the end.

Last edited: