Who still isnt turning out?

Needtoretire

Visit site
I agree, it's best they are out but sometimes it just isn't possible. If I had a dryish level field I wouldn't hesitate to turn out. He will have to wait until its dry. He is ridden and hand walked for grass and also stretches his legs in the school so hopefully that will be just enough for now.
This, common sense has to prevail despite not being able to offer the perfect conditions. My physio called in yesterday and told me he is flat out busy at the moment with endless shoulder and neck tension issues due to horses being out in the mud and dragging themselves throughout.

Esyllt

Visit site
We've had sunny spells here yesterday and today. My two had been in for a week on their concrete yard, but one part of the fields which is stonier than the rest had dried out a fair bit, so spent all day putting up electric fencing paddocks for the sheep and the horses. Turned them out last night. Despite their not being much grass, the lad still pigged and had a mild gas colic episode 😞 luckily he lay down and did the faces etc while I was there, so got him straight up and encouraged the mare to prat around, so he joined in, and (touches wood, crosses self etc), it looks like the gas has shifted. I've left him upright and eating, and looking less like he swallowed a space hopper 🙈

spotty_pony2

Visit site
Same. My gateway is actually fine. I can go through it in trainers. My problem weirdly is half way down the field (triangle on a hill) it gets suddenly wet. I think there’s bit of a spring.
So mine are and have been out pretty much every night still except for one week when it was torrential rain over night and I switched them round to in over night and out in the day.
I have reached the point where I’m getting a bit worried about how it’s going to come back 😳
There’s just nothing out there but then again my horses don’t need much so that’s not the very end of the world I guess.

We have springs under one of our fields so I can totally sympathise - they can’t go in that field currently because the floor is like mashed potato!

Dontforgetaboutme

Visit site
My yard has done 3 days a week turnout a week since start of December due to rain. Was hard enough before my sharer fell over & cracked her ribs, on days they are in I have 2 to ride. Heavy clay round here. Garden is a swamp too

palo1

Visit site
Mine have had some turnout on grass most weeks since October, and daily when that has been possible. However, they have mostly been on the yard for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I won't knacker the fields for the sake of a few hours every day. The horses seem really relaxed about it; the want to come back into the yard in the afternoons when they have been turned out, they don't go mad when turned out and I thin k that my open, communal yard (with a large undercover bed and hay stations) has to be the way forward for me. I hated keeping them in the yard 24/7 earlier in the winter but it was pretty clear they did not want to stand in mud and water, trying to graze sodden veg for hours at a time so...their wish is my command!

I have come to really love and appreciate my simple set up this winter tbh. It can be really bleak here and all 3 of the yard horses are looking grand. I don't think my older horse has ever looked better at the end of winter in fact and my mare has been working well, maintaining a healthy weight and seems to be very relaxed.

I keep hoping we can turn out for longer but the fields will have to be much drier for that.

tda

Visit site
My paddocks were in bad condition before the winter, because of the wet, now they are truly shocking, yes it will take some time to get right once it dries up a bit (a lot) but my gang still are free range, (hardstanding with bales on)
I might have to review my ideas this year/winter, see what the weather brings 🙈

muddybay

Visit site
I'm lucky enough that mine have been out everyday! A bit of a pond to get into the field but all the horses seem happy enough and aren't waiting by the gate to come in

Bobthecob15

Visit site
We actually had 2 days of turnout in a row this weekend!! It’s a miracle 😂 however rain all next week so that’s them back on the horse walker/loose school in the arena or turnout pen twice a day for the foreseeable 🙄

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I would love to be able to turn mine out every day throughout the winter, but where we are it is just not possible to give them more than a turn in the old orchard (although they are currently having an hour out in the YO's garden) - round here, grass is a crop and it's the only crop - it's grown to feed cattle and sheep, and the very idea of putting anything on it during the winter (especially horses) has farmers frothing at the mouth.

The fields are absolutely sodden, and even though the grass has started to grow, it's very patchy in the horse fields, and only looking green in the other fields where the slurry has reached having been sprayed in from the road. I'm not only worrying about when we'll get the horses out, I'm really fearful for the amount of hay that will be made (weather permitting) if the farmers are short of ground for silage. Horses won't be the priority.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
So glad we have flat fields and no clay, even though they do loads of zoomies it recovers when we switch back, The MOT 1 has been a life saver for the gate ways no sucking wellies off in the back fields.

blitznbobs

Visit site
My horses have been out every day this year… with the exception of one day when the farrier was there all morning and it was a thunder storm when he left… but I have a lot of land and much of the winter turn out is trashed… putting in an all weather turn out for next year…

blitznbobs

Visit site
Walked across two of my turnout fields on Friday. They have not had a horse on them since October and from a distance look like lovely green frassy fields. However, in reality they are paddy fields and if anything was turned out they would be mud heaps. A dry week and they will be perfect so we wait on. We are on top of a massive hill but a clay topped hill - even the adjacent arable field is under water. Luckily (or planned over many years) we have a walker, three sand turnout areas and everything is ridden daily.
Yep we walked one of our unused field on Friday… to look at altering the fencing… it was green but with an inch of water on the top… went to check the drain hatch to see if drains were blocked… nope running like a waterfall in there, just too much water has fallen out of the sky! Anyone mentions hosepipe bans after this winter needs to be up against the wall

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Mine have been in at night more than ever over the last three months. I’d say they are in at night at least three times a week. They’ve also been in for a full 24 hour period at least three times.

We are on a hill, plenty of land, totally up to us. It has been thoroughly miserable, and I’ve had them asking to come in.

Cloball

Visit site
Mines been out from 9-4 everyday apart from about 7 non consecutive days and coming in at lunch time a few more which I think is good going. Still on the winter field which is the top of a hill and holding up well with hay. Other liveries are moaning about not being on the summer field which is both sodden and green despite their horses being the ones that charge about. I'm pretty easy going about following what the YO wants to do it's their land. Plus I'm paranoid about colic after last autumn and would quite like to wait until after my exam this time to start stressing about spring grass 😅 but I guess I'm selfish. I'd rather keep paying for hay than the vet.

callybbi

Visit site
We are lucky in that we can keep ours out 24/7 with open access to a hardstanding yard area and 3 open stables to wander as they want. The winter field is looking the worst its ever been, but am hoping for some good weather when its dry enough to move to summer grazing, to try and do some work the winter field to help it recover.

Belmont

Visit site
My 2 have lived out all winter (with access to their stables) and the field is fairly poached now. I put them out for a few hours on their summer paddock yesterday, with the intention of moving them onto that this week, but I think I'll postpone that plan whilst the forecast is showing yet more rain! :oops:

AppyLover1996

Visit site
I'm doing alternating turnout with my lad - he's got white legs so mud fever is a massive concern of mine and our fields are mega boggy despite the yard owner trying their best to stop it from happening. When I do turnout, I turnout for a few hours and then sneak up and see if he's by the gate or still with his mates and then base the decision on bringing in on that. I'm lucky that he actually hates rain and has been known to throw a tantrum when asked to go out, so I listen to him and see what he says - he doesn't mind being stabled and gets a good leg stretch when in, but I do also advocate for them being out as much as possible without detriment to themselves or the land - it's a total balancing act and one I don't think we'll ever get right!

Hallo2012

Visit site
mine have been out for a couple of weeks but now back in the all weather pens with hay........my clay is getting mid cannon deep in the worst bits and IMO not worth the risk.

Asha

Visit site
My youngsters have been out pretty much 24/7 but they have been in a 10acre field with adlib hay. All seem quite happy. The broodies are out in the day, but because of the midges want to be back in by 3pm . The ridden ones have just gone back out at night and in during the day, all happy. Im resting a couple of fields, which do still seem very wet. Ive walked past the local farmers field and the grass is really growing, so as long as it dries enough for them to get on it they should get a good first cut.
we havent got much grass in the turnout fields, but im happy with that. All of ours are good doers , so its really helping with everyones waistlines ( apart from mine )

Birker2020

Visit site
I can only speak for Lari out in large acreage with the rest of the herd on retirement livery. Holding his weight just, no mud fever at the moment, still a bit footy so still on one bute a day, 1/2 sachet in each feed. Rain scald cleared up and skin healthy, growing back with vengeance on his belly where it all fell off.

I think the bigger the acreage the better the surface. If Lari was back at 'home' (the livery yard that I've been on for 20 years) then I am sure his paddock would be trashed by now.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
This, common sense has to prevail despite not being able to offer the perfect conditions. My physio called in yesterday and told me he is flat out busy at the moment with endless shoulder and neck tension issues due to horses being out in the mud and dragging themselves throughout.
I had my horses physio out a few weeks ago. Normally my boy is just maintance, this time she mentioned lots of tight spots, due to mud. I hadn't even thought about that!! Friend has 1 rideable out or 3, other 2 are lame, probably due to the mud.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Feeling a bit better about my situation now. Most of us are in the same situation. My boys don't mind being in at all but it's a lot of work around a full time job!!