Who still isnt turning out?

Boughtabay

Visit site
Mine have been out all winter in the day, in at night but I’ve just had the 3yo gelded. They were out in nice clean grass paddocks over the BH weekend and it just about stayed dry enough that they didn’t trash them, but it’s so wet again by today I can’t put them back in the paddocks. They’ll have to wait now until the wound has healed / the main field dries (ha!) whichever comes first. They’re frustrated, I’m frustrated… it’s very frustrating. That said our physio also mentioned tight hamstrings when she came out to my ridden one & that she’d seen a lot of them due to the mud. So you can’t win!

Kaylum

Visit site
We have loafing areas everywhere. We have to. They take away parts of fields but are useble all year round and have field shelters in them. Every horse gets 6 to 8 hours of turnout. Unfortunately in this climate we need to adapt and change wherever possible. They need company and be able to communicate with each other properly. Donkeys have a big barn they go in and out of. We only have 12 acres but it's been planned over 20 years to make life easier for the animals..

maya2008

Visit site
Once our guest goes home at the end of the Easter break, I’m going to start bringing the ‘out’ ponies in during the day (at night the stables already have occupants), then turning them out onto smaller paddocks in the summer field overnight (to try to prevent too much running around on ground that just won’t take it). They’ll be ridden before they go out, so will hopefully go out tired and just eat calmly till morning. I hope…

Desperately need to get them off the winter field so we can start sorting that out, and kind of running out of other options!!

mini-eventer

Visit site
Mines had pen turn out since November, I decided to introduce grass this week, slowly - starting with an hour on Friday - thinking the fields will hold up to a couple hours a day.

It has been going ok, until yesterday when he decided to have a little buck and a fart, we are on clay, the skid marks are epic, deep, and he has lost a front shoe! 😭😭😭😭

Its established turf but it is so soft it is just cutting up. Think I might have to ease off until it dries a bit more

Goldenstar

Visit site
Mine where out in their spring field it just over four acres of old pasture it’s part of the medieval field system of the original village its horse friendly grass .
Today I have had to bring them in everywhere is flooded again, my school is a lake that rarely happens and there’s extensive flooding on the roads we saw loads of miserable lambs when we rode out some of them will die today it’s pouring with a break .
Horses are staying in .
I have never had to do this at this time of year .

whizzer

Visit site
Out in the day, been in at night since January. Usually I'd aim to have her back out at night as well by the time the clocks changed but it's so wet & muddy I just can't face it. Luckily horse is perfectly happy still being in at night being waited on hand & foot!

Fluffypiglet

Visit site
Still hand grazing and even just stood on the grass he’s sinking to above the top of his hoof! This is good thick grass that is never used for turnout. The turnout remains with little grass and very wet with mud soup in gateways and all along fence lines. No idea if we’ll ever turn out again at this rate. And I know that turnout is good for them, welfare etc but right now he would injure himself and not actually get anything to eat. It’s driving me nuts. 😭

MarvelVillis

Visit site
We've been lucky that we're allowed to turn out in all weathers, but they have to be in at night until beginning of May. Our field is fairly flat but it is clay so it's like a swamp. They're always waiting at the gate when I get them in at 4pm, and I have had to deal with mud fever again this year. When will it end? :(

SEL

Visit site
Mine are all still in at night - can’t remember ever having them in still overnight into April. Weekend looks horrendous with gale force winds 😠😠😠
I was all excited because it looked dry until OH started moaning about high winds and a golf competition.

I've got a clinic at the outdoor which is really exposed. Baby cob had never, ever given me an easy ride there even in benign weather. I'm going to need a parachute.

Fields sodden again this morning. I'm sinking to my ankles in the field that they are supposed to be on by now. I'd forgive high winds if they'd dry it out but rain has popped onto my weather app for next week now.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Mine have been out as much as possible but it's played havoc with Arabi's feet he was crippled on Tuesday I really thought abcess or laminitis, but his heels are so soft and his grown a very weird sole and speaking to my farrier alot of horses are the same.

I left him in for 24 hours on bute and he was fine the next day so I'm bringing them in for at least 8 hours a day now just to give the feet a break.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I jinxed it…we had 2 days of turnout last week and then it rained and rained and rained….🤬 argh!!!!! I think even the horses have given up now 🤪 just eternally grateful we have a horsewalker, turnout pen and they are allowed to free school in the arena 🤦🏻‍♀️

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Feel so sorry for you peeps who y/o wont let you turn out in winter.

I could never do it here. the amount of bedding - work- hay exercise that would need to be done would be a nightmare.

meleeka

Visit site
My pony has been out! The high winds did a fabulous job of drying the field out. There’s still a few puddles, but hopefully I can get it harrowed before it rains too much again.

As an aside, pony had a little trot round and then looked at the lack of grass with disgust and came back in the yard to eat her hay. I did tell her that she wouldn’t really want to be out anyway 😂

Bobthecob15

Visit site
My pony has been out! The high winds did a fabulous job of drying the field out. There’s still a few puddles, but hopefully I can get it harrowed before it rains too much again.

As an aside, pony had a little trot round and then looked at the lack of grass with disgust and came back in the yard to eat her hay. I did tell her that she wouldn’t really want to be out anyway 😂
I know I think that’s why ours aren’t that bothered 😂 the ad lib hay also probably helps!

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
Managed to roll my gateway last night and some of the drier bits in the field. I will hopefully harrow it when it's all dry. Fingers crossed mine will be going out tomorrow after another day today of high winds and a bit of rain!

TheMule

Visit site
I harrowed my top field yesterday- probably a fraction early, but I’m glad to get it done before the next batch of rain arrives