Who struggles with watching racing due to fatalities?

Girlracer

Visit site
I'm struggling a bit with it all more and more over the years as i become more aware of the dangers associated with racing.

With Cheltenham going on at the moment i'm torn between my interest in the horses and love of watching them work and the idea i'm supporting an industry that is really (for the horses) pretty dangerous. The number of fatalities over a few days is scary for me, and the idea that it's "okay" because "it's for sport" is ludicrous to me.

How do you feel about it all?

Montyforever

Visit site
I don't like seeing horses fall so tend to watch flat racing more than jumping but even that's risky. I watched the grand national for the last time a few years back and just felt sick and haven't really watched much racing since!

mon

Visit site
I won't watch greyhound racing as believe they can have a worse life than racehorses love my dogs and horses

ozpoz

Visit site
Yes, I can hardly watch any more, even though I love to see a good tb doing what it does best. An age thing,maybe... but the older I get, the wimpier I become.

Parachute

Visit site
This is true, but you can't really say the risks to a race horse aren't a tad hire than the risks to a dressage horse!

I never claimed they weren't. All i'm saying is, there's risks to pretty much everything! These thoroughbreds were bred to race, so that's what they're on this earth to do. If people kept thinking 'Oh no I won't do this, there's a risk to that' the earth would literally stop!!

slumdog

Visit site
I've always wondered how the number of injured race horses compare to the horses competing cross country, I wouldn't be surprised if there's not a lot of difference, just one has more coverage. I don't really want it but only because I find it a bit boring if I'm honest and I've not a clue how to bet!

xxbrubblexx

Visit site
struggle to watch the flat racing just can't watch the hurdles - to many injuries hate it and the whipping - disgusting so totally agree 100%

Nicnac

Visit site
Nope I love watching it and if this post refers to Cheltenham, after 2 days there haven't been any fatalities as far as I'm aware.

If you don't like it; don't watch it!

Think you may need to change your username OP as I always thought you worked in the industry.

Enfys

Visit site
I don,t watch it anymore, the amount that die is quite staggering!QUOTE]

Statistically though, is it? Compared to the many thousands of horses in training.

Any death is sad and regretable. :(

I don't watch racing
a) because I don't have time and
b) because there is only flat racing televised here, I like NH and hurdling

Shantara

Visit site
I'm completely torn.
I love the drama and action of racing, but I can't stand the thought of those beautiful beasts getting hurt. I would never be able to find it, but I have read a few things about jockeys and it was heart breaking. A jockey had lost his horse in the Grand National and I was brought to tears reading it. Another was about the dangers for jockeys and that was scary too!

Charem

Visit site
I'm completely torn.
I love the drama and action of racing, but I can't stand the thought of those beautiful beasts getting hurt. I would never be able to find it, but I have read a few things about jockeys and it was heart breaking. A jockey had lost his horse in the Grand National and I was brought to tears reading it. Another was about the dangers for jockeys and that was scary too!

Was that the young lad that rode Dooney's Gate? He won an award for the piece he wrote. It truly was heart wrenching to read :(

ETA http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/9200188/Dooneys-goes-for-Bechers-lifts-then-doesnt.-Bang.html

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
This is going to sound cold but horses die in every sport, wouldnt be the first time at local event Ive watched a totally distraught rider carrying his/her tack :( Also seen a few belters at the rideouts and a few air/ambulance for human/vet for horse jobs :(

I dont watch much TV but I watched a few races today. Love to see them bowling along enjoying their job :)

pinklilly

Visit site
I used to love racing but have lost interest, it's the wastage rate in training that gets me. Worked with point to pointers, one season we started with seven horses, only 2 ran. The rest had injuries to tendon / ligaments, one was shot as would recover but not race again. The season after that, 9 horses, 3 ran, one destroyed. The fatalities on the racecourse are much less common.

Tiarella

www.myspace.com
My o/h occasionally likes to go with his friends so I joined them on Sunday.

Got there and was walking unto the main entrance next to the track as the first race set off must of only been 50 yards before jockey pulled up horse - broke leg, like completely floppy holding it up and clearly in agony, vet tool 2/3 mins to get to horse and was pts there and then without screens around etc. It made me feel so terribly sick I must of looked like a ghost - I will never go again nor will I ever watch it on tele.

1stclassalan

Visit site
I'm terribly torn too. No one who has read my posts that mention my dear old mare will be in any doubt just how sloppy I can be about her ...... or horses in general - but I do have a pragmatic and practical side.

There are thousands of horses in some form of race training - it's what they do - the entire reason they have an existence at all - take away the races and what would happen to them? I had a deep conversation about this very subject with some protestors outside Warwick last year and I think, made them feel so bad that they had second thoughts.

Then of course, injuries are not limited to racing - in fact out of the goodly number kept for hunting, eventing and showjumping - I reckon that's been even more fatalities ( may be just in my notice ) amongst the horses - and quite a few of the riders.

As a kid I used to dream of seeing my name in the frame - owned, trained and ridden - in the Grand National - of course, and back then it was murder for the horses and suicide for the jocks - though much of that carnage was caused by the race being open to all comers rather than restricted to qualifiers.

I don't go racing as much as I used to but when I do, I rather go with the same attitude as I look at a battle - there may very well be casualties.

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I used to love everything about racing but became disillusioned a few years ago. Spent my life in it really. But not because of injuries but because of the people.

My take on injuries. Had a hunt cross our land a few weeks ago. Did not have permission. Husband went down to the back field to make sure they came no further. From where I was I could hear the beatings the horses were were getting. The land was barley suitable for turnout never mind never mind jumping out over flooded ditches. Most had various bits of skin hanging off and bleeding injuries. But hey whatever right? And horses die galloping around fields and getting stuck in stables. More die deaths through ignorance or total neglect. But those aren't in front of us at all times.

I do know this, the trainers I worked for, mostly in America, they were some of the best looked after horses you'd want to see. I've worked for the same here but I will say I've worked for some that had know idea how to keep horses properly.

But for me it was mostly people. Bloodstock agents that tell you we'll give you 100k for your horse and I'm taking 150k for myself. They very rarely put anything back into the sport. Why don't you take 25 k for yourself for picking up the phone and put 125k towards racing charities. Owners who think they have a football and so when it isn't fun anymore they don't pay bills and don't give a crap what happens to the horse. People who's only talent is being related to somebody. Hard work will get you only so far over here. Only money gets you opportunity. But really rich or poor it doesn't change how you view the horse that doesn't win anymore. Or never wins. So yeah for me racing is ruined by these types of people. Yeah plenty of good but I never really realised how low some people are on morality and integrity. So yeah, I soured.

Terri

weebarney

Visit site
I dont watch it as it doesnt appeal to me as an equestrian sport like sj or eventing. I also cant stand watching them falling. The only 2 horsey thing i have zero interest in watching is racing and showing.