Who would buy an ex riding school pony?

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I'm talking as a happy hacker with a bit of jumping.

Just a question really. The riding school round the corner from me announced its closing in September and some of their ponies are for sale.

I am in the market for a new pony, worth a look or run a mile? x

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Worth a look but see if you can try it in different surroundings and by itself. Be aware that the popular horses will have been worked several hours a day and will be much more lively when worked less than that though.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
If its a nice well run yard.
Id say well worth a look.
Will have seen lots if things and been a seen that been there horse.

On the other hand if a not nice run yard the ponies could be ignorant and badly schooled !

Shantara

Visit site
Depends, I've been on some great ponies who I would have loved to own, but then I've also been on some that only know to follow nose to tail and seem dead inside.

BobbyMondeo

Visit site
yeah deffinately, need to make sure its ok being ridden by itsself though as most are not used to that.

I dont think you would have to worry about it being a lot more lively if riddden less ....mostly riding school horses are stood around or walking for atleast half their lessons (in my experience of riding schools anyway)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
but then I've also been on some that only know to follow nose to tail and seem dead inside.

Those are the most rewarding ones, they usually change completely when they have a 1-1 relationship with some-one who is prepared to spend time with them.

OP, it's certainly worth a look, we've had a few ex-RS horses and they've all been real characters and given us years of fun!

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I would, but only to go to a yard with a good few horses. My first pony came from a riding school, and was a nightmare because he was kept at home with only one other for company - that and he was young and I was novice!

welshcob*

Visit site
definitely worth a look, but as others have said would def like to try on it's own etc, good luck, hope you find an amazing ponio!! :D

Dancing Queen

Visit site
I'm talking as a happy hacker with a bit of jumping.

Just a question really. The riding school round the corner from me announced its closing in September and some of their ponies are for sale.

I am in the market for a new pony, worth a look or run a mile? x

Yes, why not? They maybe have bad habits but they can be ironed out - You would be giving possibly a fed up pony a new lease of life!

wench

Visit site
Just because a pony is in a riding school doesn't mean it's fed up or overworked. My local rs's ponies work at the weekend, then more or less get the rest of the week off work. When working, they are generally in the school, but also go out on hacks. Can't get much better than that!

indie999

Visit site
Yes definitely but agree they are worked usually and properly in most cases. So to suddenly do an hour a day or only 3-4 times a week could see a change etc. BUT my old boy abandoned livery then riding school was just what I wanted for hacking. Was never going to be a show jumper but did all I wanted. I would go Good luck hope you find something. I would try to speak to some of the young girls or boys working on the yard to see if you can find out about the horses too. They tend to be more honest.

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Worth a look, but do bare in mind how RS horses are treated / handled / ridden. They're used to several hours of work per day, they're rarely taken out / handled alone, rarely have to lead and spend a lot of time in a stable. A friend of mine, years ago bought one straight from a RS. He hit 24/7 grass, being ridden a couple of times per week and he fully lost the plot. I'm not saying all would, but it's something to consider.

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I did! My first horse was a 16.2 IDxTB, supposedly 14 years old, safe as houses extra quiet. Lovely. I got him home, fed him sensible rations gave him 24/7 turnout and he became a lively, energetic and fun hack with a heck of a jump in him! Gorgeous temperament but the second his hooves hit the grass you were off at a flat out gallop. I loved him dearly and only had two years with him because it eventually turned out he was more than likely in his thirties than his teens.

I would absolutely, definitely have another ex riding school horse any time. :)

Umbongo

Visit site
I would, but be prepared to deal with some problems. Most are fine but you could find some problems with napping/change of behaviour when in less work etc. But you can have problems with any horse you buy!

I used to work at a riding school that closed so we had to sell our ponies. After a few weeks we did have a couple of calls asking for help with regards to some ponies becoming more excitable/grumpy etc when only being working an hour or so every other day instead of 3-4 hours 6 days a week.

I took on a riding school mare who had become sour in the school and refused to jump. She was the worst napper I've ever had as she had only been out in company. After a few months we got back to some schooling, jumping and hacking out for hours by ourselves. It took a while to develop a relationship with her (intelligent arab mare!)as she was used to someone different all the time and not very trusting.

She was the best horse I have ever had so definitely worth it! Worth a look :)

Last edited:

WestCoast

Visit site
Absolutely worth a look. I ride a lovely fella at a riding school today - but you just get them understanding you and someone else rides them.

Paula

Dexter

Visit site
I've got one. He was a RS pony from 4 to 12 ish. He is a total star! Ploddy but uber reliable and is the perfect hangover horse :D He has a rider who makes a fuss of him and pootles about on him, as hes too ploddy for me. But hes literally worth his weight in gold, he nannies the babies out riding and in the field, gives pony rides to novices and kids, and is still, despite being middle aged and a bit arthriticy, up for a blast about every now and again. He hacks out alone and in company with no issues, and can be trusted to take a beginner for a plod round the lanes and bring them back safely. He comes to call at a trot and shoves his head in his bridle,raring to go. I adore him and love him for who he is, hence me finding him someone who worships him

Snozzo

Visit site
My pony was an ex riding school one too .... it took around a year to build a good relationship with her and get her hacking happily on her own. We used to spend alot of time initially in reverse! Once we had cracked and living in a small yard with a few horses rather than loads, she was an absolute star and we had so much fun and won literally hundreds of rosettes. I had to have her pts last year at the age of 42, having owned her for 26 years. Pony of a lifetime.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Those are the most rewarding ones, they usually change completely when they have a 1-1 relationship with some-one who is prepared to spend time with them.

OP, it's certainly worth a look, we've had a few ex-RS horses and they've all been real characters and given us years of fun!

Second this when the riding school sold up where I used to keep my horse most were snapped up by clients (and not cheaply) and all have made fab first horses although some took quite a while for their cheeky characters to re-emerge. None have turned into lunatics. Some of my friends still have them and some have gone on to further lovely homes having given their previous owners bags of fun and confidence. The trickier school horses that no-one wanted were sold on to a dealer. Definitely worth a look :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Definitely worth a look.

I bought an ex RS pony 13 years ago, give or take. He's now 19, has given me some fabulous times hacking, has turned a hoof to everything from TREC to horseball, taken me round sj/xc courses and done everything I ever hoped and more. He's still nuts, had a paddy on the lunge, fell right over, jumped up and trotted off as if to say "you didn't see that, it never happened", but I could put a novice on him tomorrow and he would look after them.

There are some real gems to be picked up, even in RSs and horses are what you make them, to some extent anyway.

Megibo

Visit site
worth a look OP.

We went to see a horse at a closing polo yard, Meg was the 3rd one brought out. Dead to the mouth, leg and napped like a good'un. But she was ploddy and safe and mum knew she could fix the napping :p

2 weeks later she knew she wasn't there anymore and transformed completely into a right second pony. 7 years on we have done bit of everything with her, mainly juming. She is fab but did change a bit. Every now and then she likes a good old buck :D (and yes...teeth back and saddle are absolutely fine...)

FionaM12

Visit site
I did, a long time ago. I bought my lovely Bamber 1n 1973 when I was a teenager. I already knew him well, I worked at the riding school and when it closed, I bought my boy.

He was aged, rather stiff and his lungs weren't the best :( but in temperament he was the ultimate go-anywhere, bombproof but fun pony. He hacked out alone, in countryside or heavy town traffic (to the farrier!). Happy, happy days.

*sighs*

RainbowDash

Visit site
Hi,

Defo worth a look. As OP's have already said check that the horse/pony will ride out solo and be prepared for them to be more lively if they're used to working 2/3 hrs or more.

But treat as any other equine purchase - :D:D:D:D

Let us know how you get on. XX