Who would buy an ex riding school pony?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I know one who is typical :rolleyes: dead to the leg, although the owner prefers stick to leg, so hard to say, I suppose. However, having watched a gymkhana at my new yard, also an RS, today, I would be racing to look! Some absolutely cracking ponies! So go, have a look. I've no doubt the owner would prefer a decent home, so ask lots of questions and take a chance!

madmav

Visit site
There was one in Olympics eventing team, can't remember which country, which was ex-riding school. I gasped when I heard it. Possibly the Eton equivalent of riding schools, but nonetheless...go for it. If it's a good horse, it's a good horse, no matter it's history

Kaylum

Visit site
Yes but you need to remember as already said, it's a bit of reverse to when riding school riders get their own horse and don't understand riding school horses get worked all week and wonder why when they ride their horse once a week they can't cope. So bear in mind it's used to work and ride it on its own on the road and hack it out and watch what it's fed etc. All our riding school horses were getting at least a 2 hour hack a day plus a lesson, and a weekend a couple of lessons plus long hacks. That's hunting fit all year round.

Bayneddie

Visit site
Two of the three horses I've owned have been bought from riding schools so yes!
They've been brilliant to handle - been used to all kinds of numpties ;) - generous, tolerant and forgiving. But one of them did turn out too much for me as he needed riding every day otherwise he went loopy which didnt fit with my job so I sold him on to go hunting.

Ella19

Visit site
Gosh ours have the life of luxury; out 24/7, only 2 hrs about 3 days a week, hack and school! Message here is check with the owner how they are kept, not all are worked 24/7 like dead donkeys!

debsg

Visit site
My first pony was a 20 yr old ex RS pony. I used to ride him in lessons and my parents bought him for my tenth birthday, as a surprise. He cost £50 with all his tack and livery was ten shillings a week (50p) and included stable, turnout, hay feed and bedding!! This was 1969.
He was a fab little black Dartmoor x, 12.2 and called Midnight. I did everything on him, so did my brother, in his turn. We passed him on to a little girl near us, whose pony was killed on the road. Last time I saw him, he was 32 and still going strong, in fab condition and with a lovely family, doing what he did best - teaching kids :)

rubysmum

Visit site
My daughters first pony was exRS, perfect for a 6yr old as he was very tolerant of mistakes she made, loved fuss and cuddles and was the best hacking pony ever

Spotsrock

Visit site
My ex riding school horse is on her last legs. She's 32 and we've have almost 18 years together. She was not suitable for riding school as scared of male riders. We've hunted done some dressage, xc, local shows and jumping, trail blazers and bs on ticket. She's also been my best mate and got me through horrid experiences. Please don't discount a riding school horse, mine thrived and blossomed in a private home. For kids i'd defineately look at riding school for the experience also.

caramac

Visit site
I agree, the one we just got is pleased as punch with herself, shes loving having an 'owner'.

I got my little coblet from a riding school that was closing. When I first got her she was quite withdrawn and shut down, but after a couple of months she really started to come out of her shell and is now a happy, demanding pony with a huge personality. She is safe to ride and has always hacked out on her own and is great with traffic. But she is not the easiest pony to ride, she has plenty of tricks up her sleeves when we school which she probably learnt from her riding school days and out hacking she will have a look at things and will occasionally spook and spin although she would never dream of bolting off so she will just spin and then just stop. But at the end of the day she is safe as houses and always looks after me. She is a little gem and I love the very bones of her.

lizziegoos

Visit site
Gosh ours have the life of luxury; out 24/7, only 2 hrs about 3 days a week, hack and school! Message here is check with the owner how they are kept, not all are worked 24/7 like dead donkeys!

This. The RS I go to ponies & horses are very well looked after. I am on at the top of the waiting list for one of their horses as I jump, hackout, do my bhs stage 1 & 2 on him and do dressage competitions on him hes so fantastic!! Hes the best I have ever ridden & I also ride a friends TB outside of the RS & could have bought him but have chosen to wait for the RS pony who i tack/untack him,put him out/bring him in, groom him,etc before & after my lessons& he knows me well na.;) so yes go for it.:)

Last edited:

HaffiesRock

Visit site
Wow! All really positive!

I thought there would be a lot of people telling me to run a mile, but no one did.

Love all the stories of people buying the RS ponies and keeping them forever :O) Really heart warming.

Thanks everyone. x