Who's been to Cheltenham (racecourse)?

Twiglet

Visit site
Going to take the OH to Cheltenham for the New Year's Day racing (it's his birthday).
Can anyone recommend a raceday package or a particular ticket - it's a bit confusing - Best Mate, Baracouda, Club, Tattersalls etc!!

And can anyone recommend any decent hotels nearby?

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
Next question - how deep are your pockets for the Hotel ?

Do you want to stay in Cheltenham proper or in a village location ?

The racecourse can be walked from Cheltenham town centre in 15 minutes and there are a few nice ones in there - The Queens Hotel, The Carlton Hotel, Hotel on the park, Travel lodge (out of town) .

Loads of nice smaller ones in Montpellier (where most of the nicer bars and restaurants are) which can be walked in 20 minutes from the racecourse as well, and a few also in Pittville which is the racecourse side of town but not much really going on up that way.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
The travel lodge is near the railway station and is situated behind the towns TGI fridays also - which makes it popular with the guests, 10 - 15 minutes drive from the racecourse.

There is the Delabere on the hill overlooking the racecourse also, as well as the Rising sun further up the hill BTW, both nice hotels and 10 minutes drive from the racecourse.

Twiglet

Visit site
Erm, pockets can stretch a bit seeing as it's only for one night and it's his 30th birthday!

I'm not too fussed as to whether it's in Cheltenham centre or not....we'll have the car so don't mind driving to somewhere special. I suppose a village will be quite nice, especially if there's a bit of snow!
I'm mainly looking for somewhere friendly, not 'chain', with good food onsite or nearby, and a nice room, preferably four poster!

Have seen the Colesbourne Inn which looks good?

Thanks for your help.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
In the centre is the Queens - very nice, very posh at the top of the promenade.

The Colesbourne inn is here http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?c...amp;scale=50000

A good 30 minutes drive from the racecourse as its near Cirencester, Its next to the petrol station on the main road about 3 miles from Cirencester.

My suggestion for a village pub location is where Cheltenham people go for a drink in the country (and I've been going with my parents and my own kids for the last 30 odd years) - The Mill Inn at Withington (off the A40 on the London Road east of Andoversford).

Peter DeSaverys mansion is next door to the pub and we regularly box the horses to the pub, hack out from the village, and then come back there for something to eat. In the winter, they light big log fires in both the bar and the dining room. Its a nice place to go IMO

See the write up below.

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/facility/48

Twiglet

Visit site
There's so much choice and it all looks lovely!

Have just spoken to a friend, who's husband may be able to fly us down there in a private plane (he owns a flying school) - now that would be arriving in style!! But would mean we'd need to stay very near the racecourse as wouldn't have a car to get around once we're there.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
I used to live up that way, Hotel is on the junction on the Shurdington/moorend Rd, Never been in there.

On the far side of town from the Racecourse and definately a taxi ride from the town centre - 3-4 miles from the racecourse.

A nice restaurant opposite on the other side of the junction (Morans) but little else up that way to do.

I've never seen a private plane landing or taking off from the racecourse but the choppers fly in regularly.

The nearest airfield is Staverton by the M5 between Cheltenham and Gloucester but this would mean a taxi ride