Who's got the oldest Jack Russell Terrier?

endymion

Visit site
Sadly no longer with me but my JRT was put down last year at the age of 18! The terrier temperament definitely got him through all the old age associated illnesses and he enjoyed life to the end. So hopefully you've still got many more years with your eldest.

Dogstar

Visit site
My current JRT is only 11 but a previous one made it to 17. A friend has JRTs from a lineage that regularly make 19/20

s4sugar

Visit site
Oldest JRT I personally knew made it to 24.
The owner booked a puppy from me for when xxxx passes - they waited nine years for their puppy.

echodomino

Visit site
My oldest is 10 so still a baby compared to the others people have mentioned lol. She has hopefully got years and years left in her but she's definitely started slowing down, she can't do much more than half an hours run any more.

Haha I have an infinity of Russells then cos I have 5 :eek:

cbmcts

Visit site
My old girl (JRTxsomething with biiiiiig ears) is nearly 21 :)

Very frail and bockety now but still up for a potter and dances for her dinner...

But my 13 year old died of a stroke earlier this year so you never know!

ThePinkPony

Visit site
My JRTx is 15.

She acts like a puppy until you expect something from her, then you would think she was on deaths door. Quirky little sod she is, love of my life. just dont think of her as a dog, because trust me, shes got you sussed.

not sure what i'll do when shes gone... well apart from buy a smooth haired dacshund, because theres no point trying to look for another person like her.

jaijai

Visit site
So pleased to hear they are usually quite long lived. Have a pup just over 5 months old and he is such a character.:) Already could not imagine being without him.

Last edited:

jrp204

Visit site
161/2, although she is very prone to weeing in the house! Really driving me mad atm, she will go outside, potter around then come in and pee on the doormat!! I've told the kids I aim to do the same when i'm old.

Jay89

Visit site
161/2, although she is very prone to weeing in the house! Really driving me mad atm, she will go outside, potter around then come in and pee on the doormat!! I've told the kids I aim to do the same when i'm old.

This sounds exactly like ours!! She is 17 now, she tends to spend most her day sleeping!

Scoutie

Visit site
My aunts was 21 when he was PTS. Still going walks albeit shorter than when he was younger, he had hearing and sight a problems and was practically toothless but still happy in his own little world.

endymion

Visit site
This sounds exactly like ours!! She is 17 now, she tends to spend most her day sleeping!

It's really sad seeing them slow down I think. Ours started sleeping all the time, then the back legs got wobbly, he started going a bit senile - looking at things that weren't there and forgetting that he had been fed. Eventually the hearing and the eyesight went downhill. One day he had a seizure and we decided enough was enough. Our 21 year old cat has recently went blind so think we have the whole lot to go through again this year and the house will seem very empty :(

Sorry to depress everyone! :)

Suffolkangel

Visit site
Mr JRTx is 11 and still looks like a puppy, no one ever believes he's as old as he is... :) he's my world. Pic in my siggi was taken when he was 9

Damnation

Visit site
My Grandmothers was 17 1/2 when he was PTS.
He was diagnosed with lympatic cancer at 14 and Grandma put him through Chemo and he lived!
It came back more agressive though and he had to be PTS.
Most of the family was quite glad as he was an agressive little basteward. Dragged me down her bak yard by my trouser leg when I was 10 and he was 9 :eek:
And bit numerous people and dogs..
My friend has a JR pup though, absolutely adorable :D