Who's not wormed yet as no frost !!

Polos Mum

Visit site
I've had my eq paramox in the barn for more than a month now waiting to give it after the first hard frost .............. but we haven't had one yet -

anyone techical know whether I should just give it or keep waiting??

swilliam

Visit site
When I said to the vet that I'd not wormed yet because we'd had no frost, he told me that it didn't matter with modern wormers, because they kill the worms - old ones used to just make them let go apparently, so the frost then killed them.

samlf

Visit site
I have been doing the same. I am going to drop westgate labs an email shortly to find out what they think as I am in two minds

windand rain

Visit site
yup wormed mine as we have had a frost or two did 5 days of panacur as I have a 10 litre tub given to me so have enough for the whole of this year with a tape worm job in the summer

Queenbee

Visit site
Funny you should say this as this is exactly what we've been talking about this week at home and the yard. Frost has been nonexistent this year whereas normally we would have wormed with frost in November. I too would be interested to hear westgates Reccomendations on this.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Maybe Borderreiver on here can come on and fill us all in - I have to confess I don't know why the frost is important so I can't even work out whether it should be relevant to modern wormers - Doh!!

TheMule

Visit site
There's really no need to wait till after a frost. It's recommended you wait till after a frost to ensure adult bots were dead so no new eggs to ingest, but they're long gone now.

eggs

Visit site
I'd be interested in knowing the answer too - never heard of this before! X

In the old days the worms were shed in droppings after worming and could infect the pasture. Modern wormers kill the worms which are then shed in droppings.

Also bot flies are killed by frost so the advice was to worm after they had died.