Who's raised,backed & produced their own horse from a yearling?

Andiamo

Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a warmblood yearling....with a view for his future to be in dressage.
The trouble is, buying the good quality ones as 3-4 year olds is prohibitively expensive, and you don't know their background, they could have been raised in an industrial-scale breeding operation in Europe, with no handling at all, and are scatty wild feral things at 3 when they arrive in the UK to be sold....or they could have been treated badly, or had bad experiences, or been backed and overworked at too young an age, so damage has already been done by 3 years old....

The benefits of getting a yearling, is I can get an excellent quality, well bred youngster with very few experiences, and even if they have had experiences, they'll grow out of any negative impact and can go on to be well balanced nice horses. We can also bond, and grow together, do in hand showing, go for country walks together :) - so that by 3-4 years old, I'll know the horse's reactions to everything, and we'll know each other really well.

The downside, is that you don't know how the horse will be to ride....you could get to 4 years old, and find out that while the horse is sweet on the ground, that he's a nutter under saddle...the other downside is that it's a looooong wait to be able to crack on with things :), or there's also the risk of injury / accident before they reach an age to be ridden.

So, who has done it? Have you bought a foal or yearling and brought it up, backed it, and you're now a happy partnership? I'm interested to hear everyone's stories, good and bad ;)

Thanks

ihatework

Visit site
I did a few years back. I bought something that checked all the boxes.
But it turned out to be just completely incompatible for me under saddle, a massive waste of time and money. I'd always buy something backed now if it were to be purely my long term riding horse. I suppose it depends on how adaptable you are as a jockey too, I'm not very as I like quite specific types/personalities

Nicnac

Visit site
Yep - bought one in Holland at 4 months back in '93; picked her up at 6 months old and sadly lost her when she was 19 in a freak accident. She was my soulmate - a cantankerous old bat at times but we knew each other inside out. She was the soundest, healthiest horse I have ever owned.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I bought a yearling who I had known since he was a day old, so zero risk in that respect. I really enjoyed the fact that he was 100% 'my' horse and he became almost a friend. He hunted, low level evented and showed promise at dressage. But it was a long time to wait, and then he died at six years old.

If he hadn't died, he would have been the first of many horses I had owned which would have had a home for life.

I said I would never have another that young, but in your shoes, wanting an expensive and very well bred youngster, I would.

Just close your eyes when it's two!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Well, I've bred, reared, trained and ridden many, many foals over many, many years. A couple have gone on to compete at FEI levels (with me or their new owners), some have been duds, most have been nice middle-of-the-road types. You can't really tell what the future will be, and I wouldn't bother with a young horse these days; I like to get them when they are 6 - 10 and already showing what they can do. Very young horses are a gamble: so much for "potential".....

Reactions: DD

Echo24

Visit site
Yes, only because I viewed over 20 horses and had three not pass a second stage vetting so I had wasted a lot of money and time and had to compromise somewhere. However I was very lucky and he proved to be the easiest youngster to handle and back. I did have experienced help on hand to help me and always said that if at any point I couldn't cope I would send him away for professional schooling (which I did as we hit a wall with the riding away but even the professional said he was incredibly easy to bring on). I also said that I would do whatever he would excel at so had he turned out to be nothing more than a hacking horse I would be happy with that as I felt that was the commitment I made when I bought him. I would like to do more dressage with him but his forte is jumping! He is my horse for life though. My only concern was if he would make the height I would like and at the moment is still a little smaller than what I wanted (currently 14hh and really wanted 14.2hh). You will be surprised at how fast the time goes though and I certainly feel our bond is stronger than if I had gone for an older horse. If I was to buy another horse I wouldn't hesitate to get a yearling again.

Andiamo

Visit site
I'm sorry to hear you lost her. It sounds like you had an incredible 18.5 years together, with lots of love and trust. What an amazing story, thank you for sharing!

Reactions: DD

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i bought a 15 month old part bred trakhener many years ago and backed and schooled her myself. i had never done anything like that before but i took it slowly, read loads of books and used my commonsense. i walked her out in hand and also did some showing with her and she took to everything really easily... luckily she had a good temperament and we ended up competing successfully at riding club level. i had a very stressful job and didnt feel able to affiliate but she was good enough ,it was just me that held her back. i had her PTS aged 24, so if you are young enough and prepared to be patient, go for it....it was a great experience for me

Andiamo

Visit site
can't seem to work out to delete something if the original post I am replying to doesn't show...

Last edited:

Charmin

Visit site
I bred and produced one mare, and have got a 3 and a half year old gelding that we bought as a weanling who's about to start some groundwork, will be sat on once or twice this summer and then turned away until he's 4 and ready to start hacking.

I think there's a lot more to consider. Yes, on the one hand it can be a good way to get something nicely bred cheaper than when they're backed and produced a bit. However, you've got 3+ years on livery if you don't have your own place, you run the risk of injury in that time period, you can't really truly tell temperament as a yearling - my mare was an absolute cow bag between 1 and 2, but has been very sweet ridden. Also, I'm a true believer in that youngsters should be out with youngsters, so you may not even have them at home with you, they may be on youngstock livery, so you don't even get the daily benefit of seeing them everyday. My gelding as a yearling was big and bold and annoyed everyone in the field, then tried to play with humans by jumping on them, so he was sent off to youngstock livery so he could play and get rid of that energy. Then you have wormer to pay for, feed, vaccines, dentist, farrier, the odd vets bill when they have a scrape, rugs (jeez, the rate you go through rugs!) etc. It's cheaper to buy a 4 year old, or a rising 4 year old, unbroken or lightly backed.

It's also a very long time to wait before anything can come from it. There's also times when you look at them and think 'what the heck have I done here' because they're gangly, or bum high, or not grown into their looks yet. My mare dished for a bit when she was two -
thankfully seems to have outgrown it now, but bit disconcerting at the time! Producing your own is not all smooth sailing either, youngsters can be sharp and unpredictable and at times a blinking handful. You have to think of things you take for granted with older horses - bandaging for the first time, teaching them to lunge, teaching them to trot up nicely!

However, it is a very rewarding experience and when you go onto achieve things it's a fantastic feeling knowing you've done it all yourself. I know my mare inside out and back to front and feel completely comfortable on her. She's been trained from the beginning from my aids so we know how each other ticks. My three year old has just come back from youngstock livery and I'm looking forwards to doing some groundwork with him this summer, see how he goes. I have eventing in mind for him, but I could find he has no jump or isn't bold enough.

The most frustrating thing for me was when my mare was off work for 9 months and I had two horses and not one to ride, but that is horses for you. I think I'd only have one if I also had one to be ridden, I couldn't just have a youngster as I'd be willing the years away. If my boy is as easy as my mare was then I would recommend it, but I'll report back when I'm a little further into the breaking experience!

Andiamo

Visit site
I bought a yearling who I had known since he was a day old, so zero risk in that respect. I really enjoyed the fact that he was 100% 'my' horse and he became almost a friend. He hunted, low level evented and showed promise at dressage. But it was a long time to wait, and then he died at six years old.

If he hadn't died, he would have been the first of many horses I had owned which would have had a home for life.

I said I would never have another that young, but in your shoes, wanting an expensive and very well bred youngster, I would.

I'm so sorry to hear this. MY friend had the same experience, she bought her soulmate at 6 months old, did everything with him, at backing he was an absolute gent. And at 6 years old he died of cancer. It was a year ago, and she still cries when talking about him, he meant the world and more to her.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I've bred and backed two, still have them both aged 5 and 9.

Both are totally different to each other - both out of sharp mares by laid back stallions. One is a totally drama llama, the other would rather not get out of bed.

You just don't know what you are going to get!

Luckily, I like challenges, and mine are challenges in opposite respects!

Andiamo

Visit site
Well, I've bred, reared, trained and ridden many, many foals over many, many years. A couple have gone on to compete at FEI levels (with me or their new owners), some have been duds, most have been nice middle-of-the-road types. You can't really tell what the future will be, and I wouldn't bother with a young horse these days; I like to get them when they are 6 - 10 and already showing what they can do. Very young horses are a gamble: so much for "potential".....

yes, exactly, it's a gamble. You just don't know how they'll turn out.

Andiamo

Visit site

haha, yes, at two they're very awkward looking!

Tasha!

Visit site
I bought a 2 yo from a friends stud, so knew all his history. He was scatty and feral and unhandled :D now he's 9 and absolutely cracking, so I don't regret it for a second. It's a real gamble though, his brother turned into a nutter, so mine could have gone the other way!

PorkChop

Visit site
I've bred and produced my won several times, very satisfying.

I tend to buy an unbroken 3 or 4 year old to produce, as I am better at judging them at that age, or as a foal. Not so good at judging them when they are 1 or 2.

Andiamo

Visit site
I bought a 2 yo from a friends stud, so knew all his history. He was scatty and feral and unhandled :D now he's 9 and absolutely cracking, so I don't regret it for a second. It's a real gamble though, his brother turned into a nutter, so mine could have gone the other way!

That's lovely! Did you do much with him between 2-4 years old? Or did you just leave him out in a herd to develop on his own?

Andiamo

Visit site
I've bred and produced my won several times, very satisfying.

I tend to buy an unbroken 3 or 4 year old to produce, as I am better at judging them at that age, or as a foal. Not so good at judging them when they are 1 or 2.

yes, it's a bit hard to judge them when they're very little. At 3 they start to look amazing, but then the price skyrockets, because everyone can see how amazing they are... and even if you can see the mare and sire...you still have no guarantee that they'll become that same high quality. I've seen lots of below average quality horses bred from top pedigrees in Germany, and the pedigree is no guarantee of a really good horse.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
my sister bought a 2 year old Arab colt she was nervous of him so I did most of his handling I backed him with a friend when he was 4 he was the easiest horse ever, my own horse was pts so my sister offered him to me and his been with me ever since, I did have him gelded but his 13 now does ridden showing and is the perfect hacking horse, I think down to the fact I walked him in hand on his own a lot when he was young so he has always been confident, I am so glad to have him I absolutely love him and he is totally my horse, if I was a bit younger I would do it again but probably wouldn't be as lucky as I was with him.

agree about the 2 year old comment he had a massive head with a weedy body and it did take some years for him to totally fill out but looked lovely when he did it's amazing how they change.

Last edited:

SusieT

Visit site
I'd probably buy a 'pack' of two or three if I was buying one to give myself the best chance of getting a good one, shouldn't cost much if you're getting land to house one yearling...

Andiamo

Visit site
my sister bought a 2 year old Arab colt she was nervous of him so I did most of his handling I backed him with a friend when he was 4 he was the easiest horse ever, my own horse was pts so my sister offered him to me and his been with me ever since, I did have him gelded but his 13 now does ridden showing and is the perfect hacking horse, I think down to the fact I walked him in hand on his own a lot when he was young so he has always been confident, I am so glad to have him I absolutely love him and he is totally my horse, if I was a bit younger I would do it again but probably wouldn't be as lucky as I was with him.

ahhh that's a lovely story :)) what perfect timing that he stepped in to mend your broken heart after losing your own horse.
Yes, I was planning to do a lot of in-hand walking out with a new yearling. A friend has a yearling, so they can grow up together like brothers, and go to do some baby classes in-hand together, it'll be nice for them both to have a friend to go in the trailer with.

Andiamo

Visit site
I'd probably buy a 'pack' of two or three if I was buying one to give myself the best chance of getting a good one, shouldn't cost much if you're getting land to house one yearling...

haha, well that's very tempting!! and a good way to hedge my bets... but, he'll go to live with my friend's yearling, so they can grow up like brothers in a massive field together - along with a mixed herd of mares and geldings.

Tasha!

Visit site
That's lovely! Did you do much with him between 2-4 years old? Or did you just leave him out in a herd to develop on his own?

As he was already 2 and knocking up 16hh already we had a lot of catching up to do lol, so did quite a bit with him. Had some issues teaching him to lead safely but cracked it as a 3yo then took him out into the world in hand which he loved. Backing was a doddle in the end - i knew him pretty well by then and he let me know when he was ready.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
ahhh that's a lovely story :)) what perfect timing that he stepped in to mend your broken heart after losing your own horse.
Yes, I was planning to do a lot of in-hand walking out with a new yearling. A friend has a yearling, so they can grow up together like brothers, and go to do some baby classes in-hand together, it'll be nice for them both to have a friend to go in the trailer with.

I was very lucky I wouldn't be without him and we have a very strong bond as I am all his known since he was a baby it is a lovely feeling to have that, we did quite a bit of in hand showing as well when he was young, I would definitely go for it sounds like you and your friend can have loads of fun with them in the early years and youngsters need other youngsters so it's a perfect situation.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
All of mine, bar 2 where bought at 6 months of age. Bred one and reared it and bought one at 3 unbroken. There is nothing more satisfying than rearing your own. Plus the trust they have in you is solid and you get to know them inside out.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I've done 2 from yearlings. One was a rescue with no background turned out to be a cracker. Second was a kids pony (which in some respects is even more of a risk!). The kids pony was also a cracker but not a natural one. Took a lot of work to make her to my standard but once done she was super.

Just about to start foal watch for my first home bred. Probably a one off but I hope it will be a good one for me (if it takes after Dad!) or my daughter (if it's like it's mother) to event. Probably be the only foal we breed.

I would say if you've got something else to ride meanwhile and will enjoy the process and be able to sell if it's not what you want at the end of it, go for it, otherwise save that money for 5 years and the cost of keeping it and then have plenty money to buy something that's already rideable.

windand rain

Visit site
bought my frst Highland pony when she was 20 months she is 22 now and has done absolutely everything
First day I saw her
Picture066.jpg

22 years young
18268084_10212872731842189_2581331995150466781_n_zpshm9w16kq.jpg

The Bouncing Bog Trotter

Visit site
I am a hobby rider and I have done it 4 times. First time was a semi disaster and I sold her as a 5 year old (but I was 16 when I bought her). The second was a pure bred connemara - we had a great time and competed BE, BS and showing qualifying for PUK championships, sold him as a 15 year old schoolmaster to a great home. The next was a super warmblood filly who was too much horse for me so I sold her as backed 4 year old and she is now in a super home eventing at Novice level and doing very well in Working Hunter classes. The current one is another super filly with Jumbo breeding but she is out of a PB connemara mare and as a first foal is not going to make the height or the chunkiness that I need, so she will also be sold on. Would I do it again? Yes, without doubt. Great experience every time and I have learnt so much from all of them.

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
I did - bought my boy as a yearling and did all the basics myself. He was professionally broken and I've ridden him away. He's perfect - much better than I could have hoped for. He hacks alone or in company, goes beautifully in the school, lovely natured and friendly with other horses. He is far less spooky or difficult than any other horse I've had, and I feel very safe on him (he's only 6 now). His only flaws are that he doesn't like the hose (no idea why, he used to be fine but we hide it in a bucket now and pretend to bucket and sponge him) and that he's quite an anxious minion, although I suspect that is down to his breeding (TB x welsh d nebo bloodlines). Not sure if I've been exceptionally lucky but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, although I don't think I'll ever have the time for a youngster again.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a warmblood yearling....with a view for his future to be in dressage.
The trouble is, buying the good quality ones as 3-4 year olds is prohibitively expensive, and you don't know their background, they could have been raised in an industrial-scale breeding operation in Europe, with no handling at all, and are scatty wild feral things at 3 when they arrive in the UK to be sold....or they could have been treated badly, or had bad experiences, or been backed and overworked at too young an age, so damage has already been done by 3 years old....

The benefits of getting a yearling, is I can get an excellent quality, well bred youngster with very few experiences, and even if they have had experiences, they'll grow out of any negative impact and can go on to be well balanced nice horses. We can also bond, and grow together, do in hand showing, go for country walks together :) - so that by 3-4 years old, I'll know the horse's reactions to everything, and we'll know each other really well.

The downside, is that you don't know how the horse will be to ride....you could get to 4 years old, and find out that while the horse is sweet on the ground, that he's a nutter under saddle...the other downside is that it's a looooong wait to be able to crack on with things :), or there's also the risk of injury / accident before they reach an age to be ridden.

So, who has done it? Have you bought a foal or yearling and brought it up, backed it, and you're now a happy partnership? I'm interested to hear everyone's stories, good and bad ;)

Thanks

I have done one from 15 months old and another I bred and I still have the horse, it is very rewarding.

Benefits from the yearling - un spoilt and she was a blank canvas and being so turned out to be an amazing horse.