Whose OH was horsey before you met them...

meardsall_millie

Visit site
Ooooh K does this mean there's an OH on the horizon then?! :p

Well you know my OH - not at all horsey when we met, although I think I've done a pretty good conversion job on him! He's still quite scared of the horses but is happy to trail to all my comps with me and does tons of stuff at home to help out. He's also developed a pretty good eye and can tell me what things are going wrong, although he doesn't understand why!!

He's really into his golf so we both get quality time away from each other as well, which I think is really important. :)

KatB

Visit site
Ooooh K does this mean there's an OH on the horizon then?! :p

Wouldn't go that far... you know me! :p

Yes you have done a very good conversion on him... wouldn't know he was scared of them tbh!! again, I think the other interest is a common theme with "Non horsey" OH's... I'm learning lots from this thread ;) lol!

mitchellk

Visit site
Nope - my ex saw the horses as competition and would pout and sulk if his presence was ever requested at the yard (I had a yard of 4 at the time). We did have a difference of opinion about the best type of horse power him being into motorsport however this meant the weekends were guilt free for competing as he was generally at the other end of the country doing 100 miles an hour on a race track.

He came to a few events to see me but would usually turn up in a flash sports car, wonder why metal clad hooves aimed at said flash sports car when it roared into lorry park, spend all his time there talking to other riders OH's about said flash sports car so didnt generally pay my riding any attention. To be fair I found his races very boring and only went to the ones where there was a decent bar.....

I got fed up after 6.5 years and he now has a new non horsey girlfriend and I am single but also horseless :( - I miss the horses more than him!!

HotToTrot

Visit site
Wouldn't go that far... you know me! :p

I think the other interest is a common theme with "Non horsey" OH's... I'm learning lots from this thread ;) lol!

Kat, you need one 1) with their own interests, 2) with a poor sense of smell, 3) who's absent for long enough for you to sneak your rugs and numnahs through the wash and remove them before he comes home, 4) who's Egyptian (so when you say "my horse costs x pounds per month" he will think you mean Egyptian pounds and not faint in shock), 5) but has Siberian blood in him so he doesn't mind standing round in the cold watching you SJ and 6) who's time-lexic and never knows whether you are actually late.

I think that if you pop those criteria up on MySingleFriend, you'll be beating them off with a hunting crop.

ecrozier

Visit site
HottoTrot that's very true! Kat if you find one you could clone him....!

Actually my OH is pretty fab. He can ride, in the sense that he's competant to stay on in wall trot canter and gallop, can pop a log, and is very relaxed around horses. He had ridden a bit in SA before we met and even played a bit of polo with an ex. He started riding my old girl then bought his own, she however tore her DDFT and had to be retired. He then had a two year break and then decided he wanted another go so we bought Roo. He did loads with him last summer then he lost interest a bit.
He still 'owns' roo tho and will come and watch me compete him and helps out a bit around the yard and says he will come for a few hacks over winter.
It works because he is never jealous of the horses and I do make an effort not to waste time up there, and in return always support his interests (mainly mountain biking!) and encourage those!!

KatB

Visit site
Kat, you need one 1) with their own interests, 2) with a poor sense of smell, 3) who's absent for long enough for you to sneak your rugs and numnahs through the wash and remove them before he comes home, 4) who's Egyptian (so when you say "my horse costs x pounds per month" he will think you mean Egyptian pounds and not faint in shock), 5) but has Siberian blood in him so he doesn't mind standing round in the cold watching you SJ and 6) who's time-lexic and never knows whether you are actually late.

I think that if you pop those criteria up on MySingleFriend, you'll be beating them off with a hunting crop.

LMAO! However, I'm not necessarily wanting an OH, hence the comment to M_M... but may be tempted to see how an "equine themed friendship" goes ;) :p

SamuelWhiskers

Visit site

PMSL ;-)))

I think you could bottle this type of man and sell on ebay!!

Kat

Visit site
Mine was horsey before I met him.

We actually met in a riding lesson, and got chatting then, and again when he was stewarding at a RC show I was riding in.

Our first "date" was him being my groom at a RC show, and then me buying him a beer as a thank you afterwards. Although he did take me on a proper first date after that was a success!!

I like having a horsey OH, and finding time for each other was never a problem as neither of us had our own at the time, and my share fell through at about the time we met so I had more time on my hands than usual. In fact riding meant that we saw a bit more of each other as we'd see each other at lessons and shows and go for a pint afterwards.

Now we are looking for a horse together. We ride to a similar standard so it isn't too much of an issue to find a horse suitable for us both. The big difference is that he doesn't jump, that means that we don't compete against each other too often. We do compete against each other in dressage, and he is fairly competitive, luckily I see dressage as being a competition with yourself more than with others so it isn't too bad.

Overall I'm glad that my OH is horsey.

Princess P

Visit site
Mine wasn't but well and truly is now, he's fantastic! He loves my horse as much as I do and looks after him for me in the week when I'm busy studying.

He did his trailer test so he could drive me to shows, always walks the course with me and gives me a pep talk when I'm nervous in the warm up. He even did 'join up' in the field the other day when I was poo picking - I was amazed when my horse wouldn't leave him alone after that! (And still a bit suspicious that he had polos in his pocket ;) ) It is really nice to have someone else's opinion on what rug should I put on tonight etc and I don't think I'd enjoy having a horse so much without him.

And the best thing is he is now trying to get a farriery apprenticeship, so in a few years I may have my own personal (free!) farrier! :D

HotToTrot

Visit site
HTT - thanks for helping me out with the ad ;) - can I add in a helicopter, traffic really kills me at the moment...

Helicopter - how manly and exciting, why not. Or maybe we need to add in point 7: a valued client at work, who will persuade your employers to let you work from home....

vam

Visit site
He wasnt but is more or less now. He had no real intrest in them when he met me but he had known me for years before hand so knew that they where a massive part of my life.
He was fab when my girl was ill, came up every night for 6 weeks to help and just be there for me. My mum caught him being abit teary in the van the day she was out down (horse not mum). Couldnt be with out him, he drives the box, videos me, helps at shows, fixes mine and other peoples stuff horseboxes included, he likes nothing better than to sit around drinking tea chatting with the other liveries while im riding, i sometimes think he knows more about whats going on than i do :rolleyes: always ready to help out. He sees the new one as much his as mine as he was with me when i bought him.
He's very practical which is helpful and knows how to support me without being a jerk.
Dont get me wrong we scrap at times normally over directions and when i know best :p but he is fab. He wont ride however but would love to drive heavy horses or scurry ponies :D
He is very much into his cars so will go to shows and tinker when ever he can but i try to go to shows with him as im a bit of a petrol head as well. I always make sure there is nothing he wants to do first before i decide on going to a show etc.
It seems to work as we have the right balance of him being involved but keeping his own intrests.

fingers_crossed

Visit site
Very horsey - it's how we met - training/working at the same yard!He's now setting up his own yard (dressage rider - not gay shock horror ) and i'm a medical student (and event when my horse is sound!)

Patience is definately the key. We argue alot about horsey stuff sometimes (different tastes), but thats why we work - we both love a good debate. Sometimes it's difficult, because he does make me feel like a numpty at dressage - but also brilliant at helping me out with my horse (albeit reluctantly after a day at work). I do the girly tidying up of the scruffy horses! It's good to bounce ideas off each other but it is difficult, especially as he lives an hour away. His family is very good at helping out in the mornings so he comes to see me a couple of nights a week and we get at least 1 weekend day together.

It can work really well (4 years thursday! :) ), but you have to keep talking, expect it not to be as rosie as you initially imagine, you'll probably have differences of opinion, and try to find time away from horses to do something else, even if its just watch TV , or you might end up unable to hold a convo on anything else. Having said that - not sure I'd want a non horsey one now :)

sw123

Visit site
Mine is a farmer and of the opinion that they are a waste of time, make a mess and cost money!!! However his sister has horses although the complete opposite of the spectrum to me - ours are competition and cost £££ per month, hers live free range on the farm and are ridden bareback and with a headcollar every now and then! However, he does know one end from another and went to agricultural college where there were lots of horsey girls too!

He's not overly interested but will come and support, gets worried that i'm likely to damage myself, often catches the horses, chucks feeds in etc and listens (and has learnt) when i'm rabbiting on about how they're going.

He does however think that Spider should be sold to fund a new tractor for him!!!

I think the important thing is though that his job and interests take up a lot of time, so I come home from work, do the horses and ride etc and walk in at a similar time to him so we're not sitting about waiting (or not too often either). Also becasue often in the summer he's up early to harvest etc its not a shock when i am to compete!

little_critter

Visit site
My OH isn't horsey and I very much doubt he will ever be. I managed to drag him to the stables to say hello to new share pony (promises of beer on the way home). He literally said "hello". I asked if he wanted to pat / stroke her - he said no - "hello" is enough!.
Mind you - I have got a tentative 'ok' from him to help set up jumps etc if I want to have a go at jumping, currently I only jump in lessons because I have no-one to sort the poles out for me.

jenbleep

Visit site
I have to say I am quite glad that some of your OHs aren't into the horsey thing at all because mine isnt either, and I did worry that it might come between us!

My OH is not horsey in the slightest and although he says he likes horses, he is wary of them because 'he never knows where he stands with them, they kick bite' etc :) He's been to the yard to pat C and even led her to the field but that's all I get.

I was a bit :( about it at first because I had visions of him learning to ride and hack out with me but it's never going to happen and it's ok! He's a gym goer so he likes to spend time there anyway, and on the weekend he tends to work a lot (he's a plasterer) while I am at the yard/shows etc.

He will help with jobs around the yard though, like putting fences up etc :D

jess_asterix

Visit site
Mine is, I met him at shows.
He used to work on a yard, would finish around 7:30 most nights then he would drive to mine for about 8:15 so didn't see each other loads, but spent all weekend with each other. Now he works 9-5 nearer my house and only has one 3 year old in work so we send more time together at night and we can do more 'normal' stuff as he is not working 7 days a week :)

It comes in handy when you have a problem with the horses though as he is a better rider than me so can always sort it.

Oh, and he can drive my lorry so is my driver haha

Delicious

New User
Visit site
Believe me having a horsey OH isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Half the time I feel like I’m just an unpaid groom. So much of my time is taken up mucking out his horses and his kids competition ponies that I don’t have much time for my own horse! My previous unhorsey boyfriend actually took more of an interest in my horse! It’s good to be able to discuss and talk about horsey stuff but sometimes we have very different opinions which causes arguments. We don't seem to get to spend any quality time together in the evenings we're too knackered and at weekends him and the kids are at shows.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
mine was/is very horsey. ex professional flat (and previously jumps) jockey (although just about to get his licence back out) ridden about 20 winners and well over 150 rides over the last few years.

we met through him riding out at the yard I work at, he still comes to ride out occasionally, but freelances around the local area riding out for whichever trainers need him. he actually enjoys horses as a hobby though and is more than happy to ride one of my two whenever he can (in fact since he finishes work before me he has often ridden them both before I even get the chance to!)

went to ascot sales with him earlier in the week, and I was the one having to be sensible preventing him from buying a field full of the damn things!!