WHS Win A Pony Competition

MochaDun

Visit site
Like the What Horsey Books Did You Read post, how many of us entered the WH Smith Win A Pony Competition? I think it was either in the late 1960s or early 1970s that it ran but I know I entered it a couple of years running I think. I was SO convinced I would win, though can't remember what you had to do apart from something to do with producing a till receipt I think and a tie-breaker maybe?! Or have I got that all wrong? Yes I'm that old and my memory isn't what it was! Anyone else do it? And did you maybe win and get your first pony via it?!
smile.gif

legaldancer

Visit site
Yes, I did! Three years running at least. I remember getting the list of winners & runers up too afterwards.

You had to get a till receipt, but also answer many horse care questionson an entry form which I think were multiple choice. There was also that tie-breaker as you say, which I think was simply "I want to win a pony because...."

Boo hoo, I never one & had to wait until I was 16 before I got my first pony.:(

trundle

Visit site
I entered it three years running as well, never won anything ! I seem to recall that Smiths paid all the costs for the first year, 50% of the costs for the second year, and 25% of the costs for the third year, and after that, you were on your own (my dad said that was the point where the pony would be sold
frown.gif
)

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
I entered it every year I could so it would have been in the 70's I was convinved I would win as well. I waited and waited to hear from them to tell me I had won and to make arrangements to chose my new pony.

Gorgeous George

Visit site
It must have been in the late 70's early 80's as I remember entering it many times and of course never winning.........I had a somewhat longer wait for my first when I was 37!

Shay

Visit site
Yep me too. Sad lot aren't we! (Mind you I entered the Horse magazine win a pony last year too!)

zandp

Visit site
I entered it too, also totally convinced that I was going to win. Dad was in the RAF and we moved all the time so it was probably a good thing I didn't win.

I had to wait until I was 33 for my first.

Ashgrove

www.facebook.com
I entered every year I could, I was convinced the prize pony was coming to live with me.
I waited until I was 21 until I bought my first horse.

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to recall that Smiths paid all the costs for the first year, 50% of the costs for the second year, and 25% of the costs for the third year, and after that, you were on your own (my dad said that was the point where the pony would be sold
frown.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad said the same
wink.gif

DarkHorseB

Visit site
Yes I remember entering it too. It must have been late 70s - I got my first pony in 1979 - didn't win him though!!

Can you remember all the pony books there used to be about in those days too - children these days don't seem to have so many pony stories available.

MG56447

New User
Visit site
hi guys, if you guys are seeing this i mean the people who organise winning a horse pls give me feedback. so I have a few questions about the competition, um do you guys like organise where the horse will live and if you guys organise the helmet, riding outfit, water container, grooming brush, riding boots, bridle, saddle, saddle blanket, feed tin and clean water, proper food, good shelter, parasite control, vaccination, vet and dental care, proper exercise and company. also do you guys organise a like riding lessons, stables, and something to add on to where the horse will live um will it live like close to my house ooh and the lead and stuff like that. thanks P.S pls give give me feedback =-)

Last edited:

GemG

Visit site
hi guys, if you guys are seeing this i mean the people who organise winning a horse pls give me feedback. so I have a few questions about the competition, um do you guys like organise where the horse will live and if you guys organise the helmet, riding outfit, water container, grooming brush, riding boots, bridle, saddle, saddle blanket, feed tin and clean water, proper food, good shelter, parasite control, vaccination, vet and dental care, proper exercise and company. also do you guys organise a like riding lessons, stables, and something to add on to where the horse will live um will it live like close to my house ooh and the lead and stuff like that. thanks P.S pls give give me feedback =-)

?????

Eh!?

Old Bat

Visit site
I remember it! And entered it a few times. I think it had a portrait of a pretty wh type pale palomino on its advert. I didn't get my first pony though until I was 38 :(

Olly's crew

Visit site
Haha just found this thread! I entered for years, I remember one question showed photos of all the native ponies and you had to name them ..... I was gutted avery year when I didn't win, had to wait until I was 47 to get ours hahaha