WHW and BHS

Goldenstar

Visit site
I am undecided what to do.
I will remove the BHS from my will that’s decided they don’t deserve my money in event of my death the lorry the puppet the appointment of CE who don’t have the people skills necessary to succeed running a big volunteer led organisation .
At its best that’s what the BHS was a strong frame work where people gave their time and their skills for nothing for the good of the horse world .
I do think sharing thoughts and information on the trustees is a good idea relatively few people vote for trustees and using Facebook many of us could get the names of people out there more that could make a real difference .
Facebook and forums like this are powerful and we now need to take this forward in a positive way .
One thing I think should happen is that the CE should every month visit one county committee meeting on their own .
I think this would be a good use of time and money because this is where the thing has gone wrong .
The BHS needs CE who understands the volunteers better and who the volunteers trust more .
That would be a start

honetpot

Visit site
I just want the BHS to be honest with who ever buys a membership for what ever reason, with what they are doing with the money.

There are more staff and resources put in the education department than the rest welfare, access, and saftey put together. They revamped the education department, and regigged and the qualifications, mainly to support career sports proffesionals, ACP's of which they have about 4000, but the welfare department has far less staff and 200 volenteer welfare officers who are not paid, and there are a few paid access officers to help the bridleways groups.
The recomended level of knowledge to give welfare advice is BHS Stage 3, I had no idea that the my membership fee was esentially to fund sports coachs, Stage 4 and above which even includes a business pack, and the welfare access and saftey part was just there as a tag along. If you do not mind your money going to support sports professionals, or you are sports professional I think its a good place for you. If you want you donation to go towards welfare, WHW is perhaps more for you. I feel like I have been duped, so unless something changes, I do not need insurance, I have cover from another policey, I will going elsewhere, probabely a direct donation to a welfare charity/bridleways group.
Its an ill wind that blows nobody any good, so I hope WHW do well. Looking at their website they seem far more transparent how their money is spent, and they and the Blue Cross already provide free downloadable welfare advice, which I really think the BHS should be doing.
https://www.bluecross.org.uk/fat-horse-slim

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I just want the BHS to be honest with who ever buys a membership for what ever reason, with what they are doing with the money.

There are more staff and resources put in the education department than the rest welfare, access, and saftey put together. They revamped the education department, and regigged and the qualifications, mainly to support career sports proffesionals, ACP's of which they have about 4000, but the welfare department has far less staff and 200 volenteer welfare officers who are not paid, and there are a few paid access officers to help the bridleways groups.
The recomended level of knowledge to give welfare advice is BHS Stage 3, I had no idea that the my membership fee was esentially to fund sports coachs, Stage 4 and above which even includes a business pack, and the welfare access and saftey part was just there as a tag along. If you do not mind your money going to support sports professionals, or you are sports professional I think its a good place for you. If you want you donation to go towards welfare, WHW is perhaps more for you. I feel like I have been duped, so unless something changes, I do not need insurance, I have cover from another policey, I will going elsewhere, probabely a direct donation to a welfare charity/bridleways group.
Its an ill wind that blows nobody any good, so I hope WHW do well. Looking at their website they seem far more transparent how their money is spent, and they and the Blue Cross already provide free downloadable welfare advice, which I really think the BHS should be doing.
https://www.bluecross.org.uk/fat-horse-slim

Thanks for that explanation. I've been wading through the threads trying to decipher all the relevant facts.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
The BHS is the only major organisation that represents the full spectrum of grass roots equestrians and is recognised as such by the Government and Local Authorities. There are many hundreds of volunteers all over the country that do good work for the equestrian community at large under the BHS umbrella. As one of those volunteers I know that we need the BHS and although I appreciate that like many organisations it may not be perfect it is te best we have got and without them I and my fellow volunteers can not continue doing the good work that we do be it Bridleways, Road Safety, Welfare Training etc. So please remain a member of the BHS so that we the volunteers can continue the good work.

honetpot

Visit site
I can not agree that the BHS represents the, 'full spectrum of grass roots equestrians' anymore, perhaps it once did.
There are alot of equines now that are kept as companion animals, and people who do not ride are virtually ignored. I found out the bridleways groups had had their insurance increased, but they are frontline in work for,'public benifit' working with local councils, and they have few paid staff compared to the education department. You may be lucky but I know a few local groups that have had trouble getting support from HO, that not their fault, there is just not enough of them.
You are right unpaid volunteers are doing a lot of work, they are often put in difficult situations, welfare volunteers have to be very careful,
they are not getting the support they should.
I think what really did it for me was when I found out a group of Fellows and Instructors get subsidised hospitality to the RIHS in the BHS box, which includes a meal with wine, a social event, when affiliated bridleways groups have had their insurance increased. Senior APC's have a disproportionate amount of influence on how the BHS is run, if you look a the website it is quite obvious how cinderella welfare, access and saftey are.
I think what money and resources should be allocated in an open and transparent way, so people who are have just joined for the insurance know where the approximately £50 donation is being spent.

D66

Visit site
I don’t feel they represent me. My household policy has third party insurance and I don’t need lessons or coaching. I’ve been handing over money as a donation to this country’s horse welfare and general interests but currently don’t feel I’m getting value for money.
I phoned and resigned.
If I hear they are responding to concerns I’ll happily rejoin.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I've never seen it as primarily a welfare organisation but one for training tbh. My local branch are very good and they are the only organisation we have lobbying for us. As for subsidising meals, come on-this is how it has to work to a certain extent. On the face of it I don't agree with the lorry but as with all these things, you can't change it from the outside. I'll continue to support them, I am yet to be convinced the bad outweighs the good and the way some of the social media anti-campaigns have been run make me feel quite uneasy tbh.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Training has always been a very big part of what the BHS has done and it should be the training has been modernised in the last few years and it did need to be so expenditure is understandable a part it’s oldest objectives to provide a good training framework .
The puppet is ridiculous that sort of thing makes me so angry I believe they tried (?)to make the bridleways people to pay for their third party cover which they need while researching if that’s true it’s disgraceful .
I have big misgivings about it’s work in China I understand it’s going to give a revenue stream and I understand it may do good in China but if it’s got the top end of the society’s eye off the ball at home what’s the point ?
Like M of C I have grave misgivings about the Facebook page I did not like how the tone of that has developed .
However things are very wrong at the BHS I think it’s pretty clear they had the wrong CE, and they need to make a better choice next time .
As members we need to be proactive in choosing the trustees and that’s where the face book page could really make its self count .
I really meant what I said the CE going to a county meeting a month would be a worthwhile investment in time and money that is where they need to start rebuilding from .
And they to deal with the issues they have had in dealing with staff there’s also clearly been huge problems they need better HR fullstop.
I don’t pay my membership for staff to be managed badly and then treated badly I won’t stay a member if they don’t fix that .

honetpot

Visit site
I've never seen it as primarily a welfare organisation but one for training tbh. My local branch are very good and they are the only organisation we have lobbying for us. As for subsidising meals, come on-this is how it has to work to a certain extent. On the face of it I don't agree with the lorry but as with all these things, you can't change it from the outside. I'll continue to support them, I am yet to be convinced the bad outweighs the good and the way some of the social media anti-campaigns have been run make me feel quite uneasy tbh.

Well you have well and truely hit the nail on the head.
Its a charity, and it was formed to forefil its charitable aims, which access, welfare and saftey make up three quarters of, but are supported with less staff and less attention and go toward complying with its 'public benifit'. The other quarter is education. Its own research says the public and members are unaware of it welfare work.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
The puppet was for the year they were the designated charity at badminton.
They were apparently offered some real versions
But I think they cited welfare concerns and/or they thought this would be more engaging/get more donations, even though it's a pretty terrible puppet.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
The puppet was for the year they were the designated charity at badminton.
They were apparently offered some real versions
But I think they cited welfare concerns and/or they thought this would be more engaging/get more donations, even though it's a pretty terrible puppet.

Welfare concerns at Badminton???...

Velcrobum

Visit site
Welfare concerns at Badminton???...

Interesting observation BHS had a stand right next to the main arena but not that much footfall unless you were after a bottle of Gin or a ride on the mechanical horse that you paid for!!! WHW has a stand out by the lake with real ponies with a high footfall.......... Go figure

£22k (or how ever many £ k's ) buys a very smart living horse.................

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Fence 24 at Badminton 2019 was the World Horse Welfare Lakeside fence. There was a small stable and pen beside it, which I think was going to contain an actual equine (not a puppet!) on XC day. It was empty on the Thursday when we were there.

WHW trumps the BHS yet again...

X posted with vc. The BHS stand also got visited by folks like me who went in just to register their disquiet at the current state of affairs at HQ.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Well you have well and truely hit the nail on the head.
Its a charity, and it was formed to forefil its charitable aims, which access, welfare and saftey make up three quarters of, but are supported with less staff and less attention and go toward complying with its 'public benifit'. The other quarter is education. Its own research says the public and members are unaware of it welfare work.

I am aware of its welfare work but haven't considered it primarily a welfare charity and I'm not sure it should be.

I agree its a terrible puppet but if its used a lot then its easy to put away in a box and there's no issues of it being in stressful situations, travelled for miles, out in the heat/rain/general public. If they were doing that with a welfare pony you can bet your life someone would be complaining about that?!

I'm not saying there aren't issues -its an organisation made up of horse people for goodness sake, I'd be gobsmacked if there were none! but I expect the social media campaign has probably done more harm than good-unless stripping the only organisation available to stand up for us of paying members was its aim.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I am aware of its welfare work but haven't considered it primarily a welfare charity and I'm not sure it should be.

I agree its a terrible puppet but if its used a lot then its easy to put away in a box and there's no issues of it being in stressful situations, travelled for miles, out in the heat/rain/general public. If they were doing that with a welfare pony you can bet your life someone would be complaining about that?!

I'm not saying there aren't issues -its an organisation made up of horse people for goodness sake, I'd be gobsmacked if there were none! but I expect the social media campaign has probably done more harm than good-unless stripping the only organisation available to stand up for us of paying members was its aim.

As far as I am aware it has not been seen since.

This expenditure and the vast expenditure on the HGV + running costs whilst demanding BHS volunteers pay for 3rd party insurance while working for nothing for BHS is one of the areas that has caused such disquiet. I have been a member of BHS since before BE and BD split away as separate bodies. I have spent a lot of time surveying/riding bridle paths in the area that I live. I used to be part of a group that kept said bridlepaths clear of low branches. (Always went hacking with secateurs!)

I have been worried for some time about the effect Lynn Peterson was having on BHS it seems my concerns were justified now that various "happenings" are coming out from under the carpet where they were brushed.

ETA

I am going to wait and see how the Trustee elections go and who gets co-opted onto the board. 15 people applied to become trustees but the very secret nominations committee decided only 7 were suitable. 1 has withdrawn (Welfare) 1 is automatically elected as only 1 candidate that candidate was co-opted last year (Education) which leaves 5 candidates for 3 Generalist positions.

Last edited:

Tinsel

Visit site
I am reading the Facebook page that was said on page one I am not in a member of that company I hope the lady who was involved in the fight is okay now

honetpot

Visit site
Please don't tell me they spent 25k on that?????!!!!

We were first told it was education. It now appears it was made for appearences at various events, starting at Badminton 2017, as publicity. Depending on what set of figures you are given no one really knows what it is costing, but its not cheap. The BHS spend on Badminton alone was over a £150k, and there seems to be costings performance for the puppet.So the cost is not really clear.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
We were first told it was education. It now appears it was made for appearences at various events, starting at Badminton 2017, as publicity. Depending on what set of figures you are given no one really knows what it is costing, but its not cheap. The BHS spend on Badminton alone was over a £150k, and there seems to be costings performance for the puppet.So the cost is not really clear.

Wowzers. It gets worse and worse.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
A lot of the costs don't seem very clear, I think it was the puppet that Fred said brought in more in new memberships than it cost but when pressed for the figures, and how they accounted for the fact that a lot of people do new memberships at shows as they have offers (I did mine at badminton a few years ago) he could only come back with 'that was what he was told' which was very unsatisfactory tbh.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I am reading the Facebook page that was said on page one I am not in a member of that company I hope the lady who was involved in the fight is okay now

She is ok - just' The stress of that Meeting, the way she was treated, and the way the Chairman made NO effort to control his raucous supporters/friends HAS led her to resign her membership - although I'm sure she will continue to help and support oter concerned members/ex-members who are working for change. It's a long road ahead.