Why are people like this?

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
In our local supermarket they have disposable gloves & spray for wiping baskets and trolleys which I use then dispose of gloves once in car.

I always have wiped trolley handles and also shopping with anti bac solution before putting away as I suffer from contamination OCD.

After years of feeling like I'm loopy it's really weird but also reassuring that other people are doing it too.

southerncomfort

Visit site
In our local supermarket they have disposable gloves & spray for wiping baskets and trolleys which I use then dispose of gloves once in car.

I always have wiped trolley handles and also shopping with anti bac solution before putting away as I suffer from contamination OCD.

After years of feeling like I'm loopy it's really weird but also reassuring that other people are doing it too.

Same here. Embarrassed to admit that I use anti bac wipes on my shopping usually anyway. I have progressed to using wipes on my carrier bags now too.

Its nice to feel 'normal' for a while anyway. ?

Am dreading going to the chemist to collect my inhalers tomorrow though.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I carry hand gel and antiseptic wipes so the trolley handles get wiped down before and and after shopping, car handles wiped then hand gel used. I haven't started wearing a mask yet but I do have one.

phizz4

Visit site
I work at a university, ie the building is allegedly full of educated/intelligent people. I've been sat in the ladies, heard someone urinate in the next cubicle, and then walk straight out without using the (noisy) sink and dryer. I genuinely didn't think it was possible to not wash your hands after going to the toilet; it's so ingrained in how I was brought up it's just automatic.
This sort of attitude is unbelievably common with men in public toilets. And you have to then use the same door handle to get out as the doors always open inwards. Why? I try to use a tissue or paper towel and bin it outside somewhere. I wonder if they do the same in thier own homes?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
some people really struggle with noisy hand driers, and opt for the alcohol gel option instead of washing as a result. Shaking hands dry I always think makes the door handle wet for anyone else following you.

NLPM

Visit site
I really hate having to touch filthy door handles with clean hands in public toilets, especially when the sinks have taps that twist (so you can't use your elbow to turn them off). I'm always relieved when it's just an entrance angled in such a way that a physical door into the sink area isn't needed, and there are automatic taps and soap dispensers!

Those of you finding you have to use loads of hand-cream, maybe try using bars of soap rather than liquids if you aren't already? I found that changing to bars of soap is the only thing that has stopped my skin cracking and bleeding. Even with the increased washing they're actually healing now, since someone at work suggested using bars would be better. I feel like I've spent the last few winters with painful, scaly hands unnecessarily!

blitznbobs

Visit site
The most likely way to catch the virus is still from droplet spread directly from another person. So only getting a basket of shopping or a bag is the worst thing you can do. Get a lot of food, less often is better. I wear gloves and no mask as I’m a selfish cow and according to the latest research unless you can get a proper filtered mask, masks increase the chance of you getting the virus but decrease the chance of you passing it on so until everyone must wear one I won’t be. As for stations to wash hands outside supermarkets... do they have elbow Or automatic taps and soap dispensers? If not it’s a great way to spread infection round the store as MOST people do not wash their hands properly - this includes health care professionals unfortunately... just go to one of the hospitals infection control demos to see how few can do it even immediately after a demo, so expecting the public to just do it outside a supermarket is unrealistic. Your best bet is to have as few interactions with other people as possible from as big a distance away as possible...

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
No washing stations or sanitiser for trolleys/baskets at my local supermarket yesterday. I take my own hand gel. I don't drive so have to go weekly as I can only physically carry a week's worth of supplies. People were mostly being sensible with distancing. Fans of the local football team have a food parcel support stall outside so easy to donate and feel like you're doing something useful.

I was amused when people went mad buying liquid hand gel at the start of lockdown; I switched to using bar soap in the shower and for hands a while back. A bar of Dove lasts WAY longer than a bottle of shower gel, and my local £ shop does 2 for a quid in the cardboard boxes so no plastic packaging.

southerncomfort

Visit site
My co op has now introduced a one way system.

While I can see the benefits, only about two thirds of shoppers were sticking to it, plus it really slows everyone down as you've got to stand and wait while someone spends 5 minutes deciding which box of cereal they want.

Instead of taking 15 to 20 minutes, I was in there for 45 minutes today during which time one particular man squeezed past me twice practically brushing against my shoulder.

Was a nervous wreck by the time I came out!