Why are saddle so IMPOSSIBLE!

Lolo

Visit site
Whatever did we all do before there were saddle "fitters" and horses just got on with it?

Probably had horses like Reg who will just put up and shut up and keep going as best he can regardless, and exploited their good natures, albeit accidentally.

My old boy had white hair all down his wither and back from poorly fitted saddles- he was from the era of saddle fitters not really existing. He had long lasting back problems as a result and permanent atrophying of muscles around his withers. I know which situation I'd rather tbh :)

LouisCat

Visit site
Whatever did we all do before there were saddle "fitters" and horses just got on with it?

Probably did a fair bit of damage to quite a few horses' backs....

The Exselle Integra might not be a bad idea. KirstyHen has one (long legs!!) and I rode in one on Sarah D's ex racer Mickey and it was so comfy and secure and not too blocky :)

simplyhunting

Visit site
Lolo, Reg looks the same stamp as our old chap(17.2hh old-chase style build, huge withers, massive body.. well you get the picture). We got a 2nd hand Kentaur Olympic Jump saddle for him with latex panels (Actually found it rides similar to our butet at work) fits a treat, think we only paid £200?
The mare in my piccy < also has a Kentaur Naxo's jump saddle, again with latex panels, but a smaller 16.5" seat as I had it made for a tiny, short backed pony-Suprisingly even with my long legs-long in the thigh! I'm still comfy in it. But she's another chaser-stamp (16.3)tb who will drop you in an instant if she dislikes the saddle! But she loved it and funny enough it does seem to fit most horses it goes on.. Just might be worth a look?

For showing I have an old-penwood super flat saddle to go on them-perfect with a thin sheepskin numnah underneath- But sometimes not everyones cup of tea a there's nothing to it!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If he's difficult to fit I can't quite see how buying a saddle over the internet is going to fit/be able to be made to fit better than your current one tbh :confused:.

GinaGeo

Visit site
I was going to suggest the Solution Saddles too. I was a big cynic, but like Al have a horse that changes shape a lot and is also very opinionated about saddles. I couldn't ride in the saddles he preferred and we hit a stale mate. I rode bareback for six weeks, whilst getting him fit and contacted Solution Saddles as a last ditch attempt to find something that worked for both of us.

Well he loved them from dot and as you can change the block set up to suit the rider as well we were sorted. I've since added a Dressage saddle to my collection and both saddles get used on both my horse's and if I need a fit alteration I jut change the pads. It's a larger initial outlay, but I've saved money in the Long run.

Definitely worth contacting them and arrange a fitting and trial to see what they both think of them. You can pick them up cheaper second hand as well :)

Lolo

Visit site
We've hit the stage where the saddlers in our area all seem to have their own pet brands- one loves Ideals, another Stubbens, and another whatever the most expensive thing she has ;) Which isn't great tbh. So we have found a (retired) saddler who measures and adjusts saddles, and use this in conjunction with another saddler who helped us with what types of saddle we should be looking at. This combined with people's experiences of different brands means we can find saddles which fit him.

We're doing better than the saddle we did buy from a saddler, who was convinced he was a narrow and so anything she put on him perched about 6 miles above his spine...

PeggyPatch

Visit site
I read this title and it made me smile because I suffered with this problem with my youngster when he was growing. He was also awkward because he was bigger on one side which pushed the saddle into a twisted position.
So, after searching I got him a vogue treeless saddle I think its heather moffit. I showed at county level and qualified for puk in it even though its a dressage saddle.
It comes with changeable pads (ones more raised but my boy was a table top so everything would normally just slip because he lacked a wither).

I've read that treeless saddles can slip. However, my boy lacked any sort of wither and it never moved. Also, because it can fit most horses and moulds to their shape (and yours because the seat is made of memory foam so very comfy) I've tried it on a few horses and its never moved.

This, although not for everyone, was my answer to the problem of how to get a saddle for a developing horse.

Javabb94

Visit site
Not sure if been mentioned already -

Have you thought about an ideal impala? Monoflap version not dual flap.

I have a tb x appaloosa with ridiculously large shoulders - he is more hunter build to be honest but fairly short coupled and this was about the only saddle that fit both me and him without him being restricted through the shoulder

Like Al I don't fit in GP's as very long legs especially hip to thigh but I fit in a 17.5" impala pro perfectly, it really suits me and my position has improved as I'm more supported in a saddle that fits me!

It also fits my ISH mare who is a bit finer than my other horse - have heard it fits quite a few

He also fitted an Albion kontact lite but I just didn't get on with it at all!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I would advocate Prestige every time! I bought my first one when I first got Sov. I gave my saddler friend a £250 budget for a saddle, he found 3, 1 was £200, 1 was £250 and 1 was £650!!!! Guess which one fitted perfectly? Yep of course! And to be fair it has always fitted him just as we'll, I have had it checked a couple of times and save for using a gel riser when he was racing fit it has never given me cause for concern. I would look for something that looks more or less right rather than trying to make something fit if its not right.

Scarlett

Visit site
I had an Equipe that I sadly had to sell :( I replaced it with two older Barnsby foam paneled saddles and found them to be an identical fit, but for £250 each...! They are not as plush as the Equipe but the horses love them and I find them lovely to ride in.

If you were close enough I'd be more than happy to lend one out to try.

Lolo

Visit site
One of the ponies Al rides has an older Barnsby jump saddle which she loves, but finding them seems to be a tricky task! We joke that all the ponies she rides have much nicer saddles than any of her horses will have :D

Thanks for all the advice- lots to think about, and lots to try out and ask our saddler about. We're hoping that, if nothing else, as the saddles we're looking at will hold their resale value well as they're already second hand and we do keep them in pristine condition.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I wanted a barnsby jump and couldnt find one either! My instructor has the Milton one and it was a lovely fit on my horse and nice to ride in :)

If you want to try my prestige you are more than welcome but Al won't fit in it! Would at least give you an idea of whether they sit right on Reg though I guess.

If you like them deffo try the ideal impala as I know they sit well on short horses. It was the only 17" the saddler put on mine which wasnt too long so you might find Al gets some more space in that as could go up a seat size. Sadly I despised the blocks on it but If I have to buy new again I would probably go to them for a custom make with no block as clearly the way they put together tree and panel is good for short ponies

Last edited:

BronsonNutter

Visit site
Just a thought: Mel85 on here and her partner SW have just started using Solution Saddles on theirs, and Mel is a real convert - and she isn't at all fluffy, iykwim :p Her horse as huge shoulders and a high wither and is practically jumping her off in the new saddle - in a good way ;) :) Might we worth having a chat with her about them - again, they are pricey, but they do come up secondhand.

Not ridden in one of the new jump versions, but have ridden in the Smart Dressage, and freestyle dressage, GP and jumping varieties (and own a GP). They're only any good if you get the perfect size for yourself - mine is too big for me and I just can't get on with it. However, the size and style that I need never comes up second hand - never thought I'd complain about having a small backside! :p

Final straw came when it rubbed Wilby's back raw :( due to the padding I was having to put under the front end to counteract his shape (on the fitters advice). However I've never seen that happen in any other horse with a treeless, and they are very helpful, no pressure style people when it comes to advising you on what size/style of saddle would be best.

I feel your pain though, having my freakish shaped horse - he is impossible to fit a saddle to: croup high, some withers but not a lot, wider ribcage, reaaaally narrow shoulders etc. Everything just gets drawn forwards all the time :eek: Atm we are back in the old jumping saddle with a good old polypad underneath, which seems to be working, touch wood...

I_A_P

Visit site
Was going to suggest Albion kontact lite. I have bought a second hand one and I'm very long legged. Although I haven't jumped in it an awful lot it fits me very well and u got mine within your budget second hand. My horse is an easy -ish horse to fit though so I'm lucky.

I'm local to you and the other option for me was a prestige but would have had to be made2measure ...££££££

becca1305

Visit site
Hey Lolo I spoke to my saddler and asked if there was anything really similar in fit and style to the equipe synergy and she said the prestige dx and paris ds would be similar. I like the look of the dx so now have 2 saddle models I can keep an eye out for! I'm not sure on the normal prices for those models but might give you some more to look at/ keep an eye out for :)

Lolo

Visit site
Thank you becca and I_A_P-added to our lists! His Albion legend doesn't fit him so well, so not sure about other brands...

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Having great results with my Reactor Panel. Horse has great big shoulders, short coupled, dipped back - conformational but some of it was caused by his old saddle.

Before I got the RP, he was showing some atrophy at his wither, and some weird lumps which looked like muscle spasms behind the saddle - which was due to the saddle being ever so slightly too long. Old fitter was happy with the length but the horse clearly was not. He would always buck while working in. Never really thought a whole lot about it til he managed to deck me. Had a friend watch me ride, this was a few days after the old fitter had been. My friend told me saddle was moving a lot off his back. Okay, time to listen to the horse, he knows best.

So started researching - liked the sound of the solutions saddles and nearly went for one, but the feedback I got was about 50/50. Some loved it and swore by them, some complained that back issues started coming back after a year. Some said the saddles started to sag, and just look a bit tatty. Some complaints came about saying that the stirrup bars would dig in to the horse. And yet some people have been using them for years and years, and love them.

So looked at Reactor Panel, I need 17.5, horse can't take any more than 17 (better in 16.5, but tooooo small for me). Got the saddler up and we tried several makes, but it was the RP that suddenly gave me the ever elusive medium trot without breaking - and no bucking!

One year on, saddler came back out, made a tiny adjustment (horse changing shape). Never needs flocked, just a little tweak now and again. Physio raving about the shape of his back (no more atrophy or lumpy areas). No more bucking/spooking/dumping me.

Saddles are huge investment. I would rather not have to compromise on the shape I need/size that fits but neither do I want to get a tree shape that won't suit or a too large saddle for the horse etc. The other thing, the saddle can follow me to the next horse (except maybe to something really barrel shaped, as from what I understand, these saddles don't really work on barrel shapes). The saddle can be altered with a few changes that do not weaken the tree.