Why are some horsey folk so mean?

Whisp

Visit site
My poor friend has had a horrible time with her YO who, to be honest, sounds like a complete witch!

My friend set up a pin camera in her stable and has caught YO bitching about her to other liveries, calling her odd and stuck up, not looking after the horse, putting left over hay from other stables into her stable (she even found poo in there) and swopping stable rugs for turnout rugs when friend had left clear instructions (horse is on full livery) clearly to save some time in the morning. She is looking to move ASAP (any recommendations for yards near ludlow would be appreciated).

I am totally amazed that people treat their clients in this way and only wish I lived nearer to her so she could move in with me!

sandi_84

Visit site
No idea but there are all manner of nasties in the horse world for some reason :(
On the upside though there are a whole heap of lovely ones out there too! Hope your friend manages a move to a nicer yard asap!

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
Put it on a disc and tell yo shes got a horse shes looking to buy on it. Sit down with yo to watch then as the penny drops tell her shes moving

Whisp

Visit site
I do hope you realise that no one is allowed to put any form of cctv without posting a notice to anyone that may be filmed. Even the YO on her own yard!

It's not CCTV, its a camera hidden in her rugs. She is secretly filming as there is evidence of wrongdoing and she wanted to see if she was being paranoid... As it stands she wasn't! I'm not sure why it wouldn't be allowed as the TV shows film people when they aren't aware to catch them out - that's not illegal and its pretty much the same..

I'll be telling her to keep it to herself though.. Just in case ;)

skint1

Visit site
Not providing a service your friend has paid for,and causing the horse discomfort or suffering, that's appalling, but the being slagged off is pretty standard, I take it as a given on a livery yard, I find the more times someone insincerely calls you "hun" the more likely it is they're doing it. As long as my horse is happy and we can be polite to each other in person I'm content.

shannonandtay

Visit site
It is true, I'm monitoring cctv cameras as I type, notices must be displayed
due to the data protection act.
I don't know the legalities of hidden cameras though

That's strange because we are about to get CCTV fitted to our house and the company hasn't mentioned that notices need to be put up.

luckyoldme

Visit site
I have a camera in my car, and nearly all hgvs have them now.
I don t have a notice and if I did oncoming traffic would not be able to read it.
Ive seen cases of residents families in nursing homes fitting cameras too...and if I had had one when I was on a yard with a psycho I would have used it then.
Invaluable really ... I would be looking for livery elsewhere and then making sure the yo saw her behaviour on film!

TrasaM

Visit site
Hidden cameras were frequently used when I used to work on internal fraud. Never had a problem with it either and recordings were used to obtain admissions of guilt and where relevant would be passed to the police to secure convictions.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I think its illeagal too. We have to have notices of cameras on the planes at work. Its a bit like recording a phone conversation, you have to let the other person know - thats why a lot of phone lines tell you phone conversations may be recorded "for training purposes"

scribble

Visit site
You cannot carry out this type of surveillance on people without a RIPPA authorisation which is obtainable form an authorised officer or magistrates court.

Adopter

Visit site
How horrible that your friend had to go to such lengths to find out what was happening. Whether legal or not she needed to know, now she can move on and find somewhere much nicer.
She can let Y O know some of the things she has observed without admitting to a camera, that will give YO something to think about, what an awful thing for the owner to do, and I do not think your friends horse will be the only one she picks on.

hayley.t

Visit site
That is terrible, she must feel awful. Hopefully she will find a new yard soon with nicer people.
With regards to the camera, i'm not sure on the legalities but somebody was stealing from my work and the bosses put some secret cameras up, obviously not telling any of us and they caught the culprit and the evidence was used in court.

abaddon_1974

Visit site
Rippa legislation only applies to investigative bodies so does not need to be looked at in this scenario.
Same with the lack of notices, this could affect any evidential value of what is being filmed but as it is unlikely to end in a court case then this does not apply either.
But if I felt that I needed to have a hidden camera on a yard then I would be looking to leave that yard as soon as possible.

putasocinit

Visit site
Make sure no one else knows about it, only let her see it with you, and then deny it if she has the b. lls to do anything about it. Your word against hers.

Bubley898

Visit site
RIPA regulation of investigatory powers act only applies to police or places such as councils, not people using them personally.

maxmize

New User
Visit site
So many people put these anonomous YO moaning posts on here - why done people, and in this case you, just name and shame the YO on here! and then everyone can avoid them. Eventually they will have to understand why they dont have any liveries anymore.

undergroundoli

Visit site
My meny stranded theory:

A) People like horses because they are rubbish with people. They go round accidentally upsetting others as they have the people skills of a newt.

B) Someone with the people skills of a newt likes horses, but as they are so socially inept they don't have a partner or end up with kids. Depending on the industry they work in theire lack of people skills stops them progressing at work. They have an inordanate amount of emotional energy left for horses, which causes them to be judgmental about other peoples horses.

C) People hater clings to horses but is just nasty to other people they come into contact with.

D) A high incedence of peoples A, B and C normalises bad behaviour in the horse world.

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
So many people put these anonomous YO moaning posts on here - why done people, and in this case you, just name and shame the YO on here! and then everyone can avoid them. Eventually they will have to understand why they dont have any liveries anymore.

Possibly because naming and shaming is against the T&Cs on here?

WelshD

Visit site
You get good and bad everywhere. I think its just that in any hobby the pool of people is smaller than the general population and these people stand out more. I dont think its anything to do with loving animals more than people or any other psychobabble.

Legal or not I would keep the camera footage quiet