Why are some rider difficult to share a school with?

rockysmum

Visit site
What annoys me is the attitude that some people take precedence. If everyone pays the same livery, then providing the basic school rules are followed nobody is more important. If a small child wants to race around, or a novice jog about, they have just as much right to do so as people doing 'serious schooling'.

Absolutely agree :D Although I cant see the point of riding in the things, I booked our indoor for half an hour (quiet time) in the snow, just to let my three loose. Other people book an hour for a lesson on their own so I couldn't see the problem. I pay for the facilities for all three.

Ended up with someone getting snotty as " I need to ride ", they wouldn't have done that if someone had booked it to school in.

HashRouge

Visit site
I'm probably dreadful to share with as when passing another horse I panic and forget which is left and which is right and sometimes I even lose the ability to steer :p
I often tell the story of when I was living in Portugal and having lessons on a large livery yard. The school my RI liked to use was ENORMOUS and sometimes there would be as many as 20 horses, all being schooled by individual people and doing completely different things, so you'd have some people hogging the wall to do lateral movements or piaffe, people jumping in the middle, and others trying to do extended canter down the diagonal :p. It was terrifying, especially as I could never remember if it was left to left or right to right! My teacher did tell me, but I always forgot, and then when I tried to pick it up from watching other people, they all did different things, which confused me even more! Now THAT was difficult!

Solo1

Visit site
Takes a bit of flexibility, but usually I can cope. One girl though seemed to have some serious issues with sharing and would do everything she could to put anyone off sharing with her. This meant riding so close when passing that your stirrups clanked, when you're riding a circle heading down the 3/4 line towards you at extended trot meaning you had to dart out the way. When on my sane Connie I could ignore it as he was quite happy being manouvered around and charged at, however when I got a newly broken 4 y.o she tried to pass very closely at canter, pressing me into the fence (it ripped my jods), her schooling whip hitting her several times as she passed and my mare freaked out and lashed out. Thankfully it was a very near miss but I think she learnt her lesson, without someone getting hurt! The mare still doesn't like horses approaching her closely :(

The only other one I don't like sharing with is the one who insists on having a 20x40 space to work in, leaving me with a 20x20. I am slowly infiltrating her space and showing it's not always to grave consequences!

thinkitwasjune

Visit site
One of my close friends is awful to ride in the school with. It's not intentional, she just has no concept of where other people are in the school and how what she's doing might affect them. I'll happily hack with her but I try to avoid schooling at the same time as her! There are two other girls at the yard that I hate riding with. One rides her horse so fast (because it struggles with canter) that it's actually terrifying, and the other always wants to jump courses of at least 1.20 in our relatively small arenas!

I prefer to ride on my own if possible, simply because I find it easier to focus on my horse that way :)

oldbaymare

New User
Visit site
Not lucky enough to have a school at home but do get annoyed when working in at shows. Seems every time I find a nice quiet space to work in, within minutes someone will be on top of me, even though theres space elsewhere! Drives me crackers, as does people with long schooling whips passing closely and happily running whip along my horse!

Shutterbug

Visit site
Some people just don't think - or don't care that they are in the way. I always try to be mindful of where I am if someone else is riding in the school but have had occasions where the other person was just riding around as though I wasn't there - with no consideration for me or my horse - when one person is being mindful it doesn't work, it takes everyone riding in the school at the same time to be mindful and considerate. Luckily I'm on a small yard and never ride in the school at the same time as the other liveries

georgiegirl

Visit site
We have four rules at our yard for working in the school and they seem to work pretty well!

1' all riders to pass left to left at all times.
2' if someone is lunging they should be the only horse and rider in the arena
3' if jumping then please put all jumps and poles away after use. any ground poles should be rustic/unpainted
4' pick up any poo's!

works well for us. We have recently had a few new riders who didnt know the left to left rules etc but they have soon joined in on it and we all get along swimmingly. Also say if you were wanting to build a full course of jumps/practise a full dressage test on your own were all pretty obliging to wait and let people get on with it before coming in.

igglepop

Visit site
I have only had one person who i could not stand to share with, she is a terrible rider who thinks she is amazing. She would give her little sister lessons and cut me up (even when i had booked school for lessons) and ride so close my horse would buck and panic we ended up arguing as apparently i was angry that i could ride as well as her not that she was putting me in danger . It got so bad that yard owner got involved. I don't mind sharing school even if i have booked it but just don't ride like an idiot. It was well know that i only booked school for lessons to keep young kids out as the horse i was riding was dangerous (was known to kick). Rest of the time i rode late at night needless to say I'm now very happy to have a school all to myself.

GoblinPony

Visit site
I find it rather annoying when people ride with earphones shoved in their ears. They are typically engrossed in music (or their trainers' comments) and unaware of their surroundings. It is particularly challenging to navigate the warm-up arena packed with riders half of whom have their ears plugged.

winkles

Visit site
Don't mind sharing the school at all (I am usually the one feeling like I'm in the way though) in fact I quite like it. What I do hate though is people who lunge in the school when others are riding :mad: so dangerous!

(Here comes the waffle :p )

Someone did this to me a while ago, another livery wanted to get the beans out of youngster before she got on. Fair enough, but she was the yard bosspot who got annoyed when anyone lunged in the school and not in their fields :rolleyes:

"I'll only be a minute" ended in her constantly cracking the whip, and, when it was cracked up my ponio's backside by mistake, a short stride up into the air followed by a longside of broncing and cantering on the spot :mad: never have I been more proud to sit to a tantrum :D we quickly vacated the school after that!

Madam Min

Visit site
I must admit that not knowing or adhering to the school rules is a real bug bear of mine! I appreciate that sometimes due to the unpredictability of horses its not always possible and especially at shows in collecting rings you can get so focused on your own riding but I think some people are just selfish and seem to relish cutting others up! :mad:

Happy H

Visit site
Thanks for your comments all.

I think some are just a bit ignorant/selfish... and some do it on purpose so they get the school all to themselves ;)

Always good to get other's views and know you are not alone!

TarrSteps

Visit site
It does happen, littlelegs. True the rider may be within the letter of the law but still causing unnecessary confusion. I do ride occasionally with someone who always seems to need to circle through someone else's circle, or ride slightly too close, or leave not quite enough room, or press another horse when the rider is clearly having problems. His own horse can be quite extravagant and he often puts other riders into positions where they technically do have right of way but would not really be safe to take it. He is a cheery fellow and always apologises with a laugh if you ask for more space but it happens so often I can't think it's by fluke or even ignorance.

Littlelegs

Visit site
That makes sense tarrsteps thanks. Although not specific school rules, in my mind those examples fall into basic manners for me, (which should be just as important as left to left etc imo) so I hadn't really considered it from that angle.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Oh, completely - rude is rude! :). I'm pretty sure the fellow I described feels he's superior to the riders he is forced to share the school with and they should be able to cope, although his horse is often the one misbehaving and setting everyone else off!

quirky

Visit site
I'd still like an explanation or example of how someone is always in the way/ ignorant/ selfish while following school rules.

I'll give you an example :)
Riding my then youngster, who by anybodies standards would be described as solid and dependable, even when a young age.
I was riding the outside of the school, on the left rein, other rider riding inside track. She was riding, in her opinion, in a forward seat, I would say bordering on out of control.
As she was on the inside, she was controlling the passing distance, she came way to close to my girl at speed, and feeling threatened, she tensed up, I thought she was going to shoot forward, instead she just stepped her bum out. Unfortunately for the girl coming towards me, her horse reared up and had her off.

Had she been riding in a more considerate fashion, she wouldn't have been unseated :D

Littlelegs

Visit site
Thanks quirky, that too makes sense, but again falls under good manners also being a school rule imo. And in that situation, it also counts as passing too close. So not obeying rules on two counts!

EnduroRider

Visit site
I wonder if somebody could clarify what should happen in the following scenario: one horse on the left rein at walk, another on the right rein at trot. As the faster horse gets the outside track, should you then change to passing right to right?

winkles

Visit site
I wonder if somebody could clarify what should happen in the following scenario: one horse on the left rein at walk, another on the right rein at trot. As the faster horse gets the outside track, should you then change to passing right to right?

If this happens M's school, the faster horse overtakes by stepping off the track to pass the other rider left-to-left, like a shallow loop almost. So, the left-to-left rule is prioritised over speed, but I've no idea if that's either correct or common practice.

luckypeggy

Visit site
I've been told in the above situation that fastest pace takes priority, so would pass right to right. Only seems to happen with walk/trot though, canter doesn't seem to apply!

Equestrianforever28

Visit site
As title really - there is always one on every yard and although they generally follow the school rules, they are just always in the way!

Is it a lack of consideration and awareness of the other rider? Or is it something else?

Are you that rider?

no i was the one always get cut up by this lady with her horse anywhere i went she went if i tried to change the rein she would cut right in-front of me.

i was lucky to get two corners in the school , i had to use the middle of the school which wasn't very useful as she kept cutting me up in the middle of arena.

oh she knows where shes going she just does it to the younger riders evil cow much !!!

madiz123

Visit site
Good god I was probably that person! I had no idea there were rules... I kept my project polo pony at a normal yard for a few months so I could school her on the winter. My schooling consists of me weaving around all over the place! I would never stick and ball if someone was in there with me. I always gave them plenty of space though - I tended to keep myself to one end of the arena whilst whizzing around.

pip6

Visit site
Wish I had a school now to have the problem, but don't miss livery yards.

At last one we shared pretty well apart from one woman. You were allowed to book sole use of school for hour a week, which let people have lessons in peace. Fair enough. I'd booked school, & said woman asked if she could come in for 5 mins lunging to check horse. Fine. 30 mins later I left school, she was driving my horse nuts by yelling at her horse & cracking whip like circus ringmaster. She tried another time to barge in on my booked time & got told where to go. Then she tried to be funny by booking the 6pm (very popular for those who work) slot every night of the week, even though she only worked 3 days a week. Thankfully YO stepped in & stopped her being so selfish. She was just as bad when she rode the animals, probably why her placid connie dumped her on the school rails breaking some of her ribs...abyssmal person/owner/rider. Think it all stemmed from frustration, she wanted to ride but was scared of the horses.

Renvers

Visit site

In my experience, and the way it is approached at my yard, yes.

A yard rule we have is that if someone is riding a youngster/newly backed horse you ask if they are happy for you to join them in the school. Good manners and certianly safer all round

hollyandivy123

Visit site
What annoys me is the attitude that some people take precedence. If everyone pays the same livery, then providing the basic school rules are followed nobody is more important. If a small child wants to race around, or a novice jog about, they have just as much right to do so as people doing 'serious schooling'.

i find this the most annoying problem, we have one who expects the school to themselves has actually told me they will never share the school with someone/something like me, and if they can not get in when they want have the most childish hissy fit it is pure arrogance and ignorance and i really can't be bothered with people of self importance and that have no respect for other people and their property (this is another moan/rant about people who steal and don't get me on this:mad:)

Auslander

Visit site
I'm very conscious that I might be doing all sorts of unexpected things when schooling, despite observing the rules, so I make sure I've got my radar switched on, and take responsibility for staying out fo the way of others. I don't mind sharing, and I'm not bothered if people don't play by the rules. As long as you are aware of where everyone is, it's pretty easy not to get involved in a pile up. I like my horses sharp off the aids and poised for the next instruction, so people getting in the way is a good thing in my book!
I hate with a passion, experienced riders intimidating less competent people. If I ever have a livery yard again, I will add another school rule - that experienced riders get out of the way of novices/young horses - not the other way round. And I will make damn sure I enforce it!

Frosty89

Visit site
I've never minded sharing the school on my old yard, but some people were so inconsiderate. There was no booking system for the school which I think works better personally. Sometimes there would be up to 6 people in a 20 by 40 all on big horses. I found it very annoying when two of 'clique' would ride around side by side having a chat whist I'm trying to school.

The yard I'm moving to in a couple of weeks is VERY different! There is both an indoor and outdoor, which hardly anyone uses apart from the staff. There is also a booking system which you can request sole use or you can add that people are welcome to join.

I find that warming up at shows is a night mare as well! Some people have no manners!

mcnaughty

Visit site
I took my 6yo daughter into the school the other day to practice skills off the leadrein and an older girl with a TB turned up and was standing outside - I felt sorry for her so said she could come in but within 5 minutes she was cantering round the school.

I suppose I shouldn't have invited her in but I would have thought she would either a. have realised that she should go into the jumping field (large, flat and good for schooling, and the ground was good (not hard/boggy)). b. come in but stuck to walk/trot work for a bit longer than 5 mins and then given us some warning so we could leave.

Left to left always.