Why are some riders so snooty? Do I smell or something??

Landcruiser

Visit site
Hrmph. I don't know about you, but I was brought up to smile at people and say "Hi" or "Good morning" or whatever. I rode motorbikes for years when I was younger, and bikers used to (and maybe still do) nod to each other as a matter of course. Brotherhood/sisterhood thing, I suppose.

So why is it that when I'm out hacking on my pretty little bay criollo, with my western tack and my Hi Viz jacket and bright jods, why is it that the local riders CUT ME DEAD? Not all of them, but the young girls on the thoroughbred types (that's the majority around here). The ones with no Hi viz, usually with a phone in their hand, or riding 2 abreast chatting away. I always smile, greet...and as often as not I'll get a grunt, no smile, possibly complete blanking from all but the actual rider I first make eye contact with.

I usually ride off muttering under my breath and tell my pony all about it in no uncertain terms. Good job he's not a parrot.

Grrrr. Plain old ignorance - hah. That's better!:mad: Turns on heel and marches off.

tessybear

Visit site
Hrmph. I don't know about you, but I was brought up to smile at people and say "Hi" or "Good morning" or whatever. I rode motorbikes for years when I was younger, and bikers used to (and maybe still do) nod to each other as a matter of course. Brotherhood/sisterhood thing, I suppose.

So why is it that when I'm out hacking on my pretty little bay criollo, with my western tack and my Hi Viz jacket and bright jods, why is it that the local riders CUT ME DEAD? Not all of them, but the young girls on the thoroughbred types (that's the majority around here). The ones with no Hi viz, usually with a phone in their hand, or riding 2 abreast chatting away. I always smile, greet...and as often as not I'll get a grunt, no smile, possibly complete blanking from all but the actual rider I first make eye contact with.

I usually ride off muttering under my breath and tell my pony all about it in no uncertain terms. Good job he's not a parrot.

Grrrr. Plain old ignorance - hah. That's better!:mad: Turns on heel and marches off.

Oh i know the feeling :cool: My issue is i have a cob who loves to fart past other horses :rolleyes: but the local teenagers on their TB's all jogging and throwing their heads about while the girls are busy chatting and blocking the entire bloody lane, have tried being nice but got to the point where i smile and end up balancing on the verge with tess :(

Im 17 myself so don't worry not ever teenager is anti-sociable :D I would say hi to you :D

ETS: many of the riders round here are fab though and will end up having a good old chat or joining up with strangers for hacks :p

showaddy1

Visit site
Some are like that... Most arent... You must have more than the fair share where you live!
I talk to everyone... Prob why I never get very far whilst out riding!

tafyx

Visit site
You are not on your own. I do ride a t.b on my own and when I do come across other riders am told to go the other way! Shame as its nice to have some company sometimes and my horse likes it too but other riders seem to think it will be a problem, poor horse is developing a complex and he is so good.

Last edited:

ebonyallen

Visit site
Oh and I thought it was just me lol, some are very pleasant and speak but have to say others just tend to look down their noses and my little ID, like we are not worth talking too and we are not good enough. The other thing that gets my goat is when you slow down for them in a car you do not even get a thank you, so very rude !!!

tessybear

Visit site
Oh and I thought it was just me lol, some are very pleasant and speak but have to say others just tend to look down their noses and my little ID, like we are not worth talking too and we are not good enough. The other thing that gets my goat is when you slow down for them in a car you do not even get a thank you, so very rude !!!

That is my pet hate ! Gives the rest of us a bad name, how hard is it to nod and smile if you cannot take your hand of the reins :mad:

Carefreegirl

Visit site

Hear hear ! I passed a middle aged woman eventually the other day as she trotted down the road, in the kerb, in the middle of the road, straight round parked cars without even a backwards glance. I was so angry that I turned round and went back. Two more cars passed her again with no thanks. I pulled up along side her and said 'it's common courtesy to thank someone when they slow down' she just looked at me all gone out ! :mad:

There's a few round here that don't speak but I shrill 'Morning' really loud and they bluster and mumble morning back. I've lived round here for 40 years though so they probably don't speak because they know me :D

showaddy1

Visit site
My teenage daughter was out riding with her friend the other day, I've taught her to be courteous and give thanks when its due. She was riding a youngster so could,don't take her hands off the reins, instead mouthed thank you to the jeep owner who had stopped for them. The driver wound down his window and gave her a go full... Apparently it turns out that thank you looks like f...you when lip read!! Lesson learnt

Beausmate

Visit site
Round here it's the people out on their poncy warmbloods, all expensive, branded gear and not a stitch of hi-viz among them.

Think me and my little scruffy tb are far too cheery for them, what with all our bright stuff on, all smiley and friendly. Or maybe we just dazzle them into silence. :D

They don't thank you for slowing down when you're driving either. Does my head in too!!

OpalFruits

Visit site
I don't understand why some people do this. It's just plain rude to turn your nose up at somebody else who is trying to enjoy their horse on their hack- doesn't cost anything to be polite.

I'm 16 and would never imagine not saying hello, good morning/ good afternoon, whatever to another rider, cyclist or somebody walking their dog...

luckyoldme

Visit site
I was out having a nice little middle aged lady hack with my friend and spotted two young lases coming towards us on their ponies.
This is an amazingly rare event for us so i was looking forward to a chat. One of the lasses screamed at me to stay back as her pony did nt like other horses!
How does that work then?

Brightbay

Visit site
I think I must smell too :eek:

I know there are lots of other riders around - there's three livery yards within a short ride, and lots of individual owners - we all use the same routes.

I have no idea what I have to do to persuade people to ride out with me! I have hinted, asked (politely) outright, tried organising group rides (lots came along - and a group of them all passed me a week later and barely nodded).

I've joined Riding Buddies on Facebook - nobody else local has joined despite hints.

I've actually opened a gate (from my 17hh horse) for a lady riding a feisty pony - she didn't even say thank you, let alone "hello".

My horse is not a good solo hacker - he needs other horses to relax and enjoy his hacks - and he is well behaved (and brave) when in company. OK, I ride with a bitless bridle and horse is hairy and unclipped, but are we that weird that people just can't be seen with us? It's a bit depressing, tbh. Suggestions welcome :)

Nudibranch

Visit site
It's fascinating isn't it? There's a livery up the road and almost all of them are fairly ignorant. Not a stitch of hi vis between them either. Atm I'm hacking out a very hairy 16hh CB and I admit we probably don't look too impressive. I'll be very interested to see what happens once the youngster is hacking out, biased though I am, he's a big, stunning sports horse and I'll bet the liveries are a lot more interested then!

To be fair the hunt are always friendly and polite, and though I don't go out with them I can't fault their manners.

justabob

Visit site
I have some of the most friendly horsey people that hack out here, they always wave, say hello. Trouble is they are carriage drivers and never break stride. :eek::eek:

Holly Hocks

Visit site
It's not just people on TB types! I have a nice looking TB and a little coloured cob type, but I always speak to everyone, whichever one I'm on. Some people are just ignorant ********s with no manners or social skills. They have a superiority complex but not to worry - one day they'll fall down from their self-imposed pedestal and hit the ground with a thud!

Embo

Visit site
I get this bit it's other liveries on the same yard. There are 2 of them in particular. I will smile or say 'hi' when passing and they look at me as if I'm speaking another language!! They're only a few stables down from me but are the sort who are only up once/twice a week even though on DIY. Just plain rude and ignorant. I think it's because I shared a horse at the same yard before getting my own so they see me as lower class!!

tessybear

Visit site
It's not just people on TB types! I have a nice looking TB and a little coloured cob type, but I always speak to everyone, whichever one I'm on. Some people are just ignorant ********s with no manners or social skills. They have a superiority complex but not to worry - one day they'll fall down from their self-imposed pedestal and hit the ground with a thud!

Oh I agree in no way is it the horse type but the ignorant sod sitting on them :(

JFTDWS

Visit site
My teenage daughter was out riding with her friend the other day, I've taught her to be courteous and give thanks when its due. She was riding a youngster so could,don't take her hands off the reins, instead mouthed thank you to the jeep owner who had stopped for them. The driver wound down his window and gave her a go full... Apparently it turns out that thank you looks like f...you when lip read!! Lesson learnt

Oh my, but that's brilliant! You try to thank them and end up (unintentionally) insulting them :D

I don't often meet people out hacking, but there's one of two responses I go through:

1) OMG SOMEONE ELSE HACKING *loses all verbal filters and scares the life out of them*

or

2) is that... another person hacking? Oh heck is it morning or afternoon? Should I just say good day to save issue? Where's my watch / phone? Oh heck, too late, jst say anything "*mumble* mornin' *mumble*"

I'm not good with people, me :D

Landcruiser

Visit site
Shame you lot don't live round my way...:(

Don't even get me started on riders not saying thank you. It's mostly the same ones - no hi viz, 2 abreast on the main road (what IS that?), eyes front with a sour look.

There's me, and when I say bright jods I mean shocking pink leopardskin, (I know) bright yellow hi viz jacket, over on the left as far as I can get, trotting on into gate ways, and thanking everyone who even marginally slows.

Can I put them in Room 101?

Littlelegs

Visit site
There's only two that I've met who are snotty, & they ignore everyone, including their supposed friends, car drivers, walkers, little kids shouting 'hello horse' etc. And random rude riders. Even people I don't know are generally friendly.

Parachute

Visit site
The title made me laugh! I'm sure you don't smell. Can't really offer much advice, other than if rude to you, ignore them :D