Why are the majority of top male dressage riders gay?

flyingfeet

Visit site
Just a query really - I know sexuality should make no difference and is really none of our business but....

Is it because they have feminine sensitivity with the strength to hold the horse together??

Is it because you need a certain mentality to keep going round in circles without the 'adrenaline junkie trying to kill yourself jumping' element?

Or is it merely a front so they don't have to keep battling off the mad old lecherous dressage ladies??
grin.gif

This is nothing to do with the CH post, I was merrily drooling over Edward Gal and turned from oggling to googling and found he was gay
frown.gif
frown.gif

Michelle73

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Or is it merely a front so they don't have to keep battling off the mad old lecherous dressage ladies??
grin.gif

This is nothing to do with the CH post, I was merrily drooling over Edward Gal and turned from oggling to googling and found he was gay
frown.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

PMSL!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember when I found out Carl Hester was gay!!!!!!!!!!!! I was very
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

wizoz

Visit site
I don't think it matters one way or the other but there are a LOT of gay men in all disciplines. My dressage trainer is gay, it's never bothered me, in fact it makes life a lot easier.
wink.gif

I have often wondered what it is about horses and men being gay but there, I guess you'd have to ask them!

Muddywellies

Visit site
How funny that this post is on here today....................
Only last night, my non-horsey other half stated that all male horseriders are gay.
I told him he was talking cr@p, then had a think, and had to backpeddle and agree with him that most top male dressage riders are gay. I don't understand why, but what I would like to know is why they are all so TOTALLY GORGEOUS ! ! ! !

Aniseed

Visit site
I completely agree with this post. My dressage trainer (who is female!) an I were discussing it the other day and couldn't think of any top male dressage riders who weren't gay. Even the ones that I thought were straight turned out not to be.

BBH

Visit site
I don't know but I do think Gay riders take the time to understand the 'pysche' of a horse and I often wish I'd sent my youngster to a gay rider to begin his education because he is a very sensitive soul and I'm sure would have fared better with someone more in tune to his needs.

_jetset_

Visit site
My husband has been learning to ride in my dressage saddle and he said that they must have smaller tickle tackle than a hetrosexual man because he has been in absolute agony!!!

Twinkletoes

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think its because their bits get squished!

jb XX

[/ QUOTE ] lol. I think its a good thing, I mean imagine the debauchery if none of them were, how would we ever focus

AutumnRose

Visit site
PMSL Jetset...'tickle tackle' hilarious!!!!!

I've thought about this before....although my trainers dressage trainer is a top German guy (i can never remember his name so don't ask me), who has ridden at top level over there and here, is married and very much not gay. Perhaps he's the exception that proves the rule
tongue.gif

Obviously it doesn't matter at all either way but an interesting conversation
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Eventerlad15

Visit site
Many aren't, and defending the male here i'd say its just chance. I suppose many riders who love horses have that 'softer' side to them, so maybe why dressage riders are gay?

All I know is that i'm totally straight and it has nothing to do with 'tickle tackle'!

NikkiF

Visit site
We have a male instructor that comes to our yard, and yes he's gay, but we're very cruel and haven't told the 2 teenage girls who hang around to watch him!
cool.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We have a male instructor that comes to our yard, and yes he's gay, but we're very cruel and haven't told the 2 teenage girls who hang around to watch him!
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
evil

kerilli

Visit site
Well, according to my trainer (who is 'mature', wise, German, and straight as a die!) it is because gay men are less macho, less testosterone-driven, more sensitive and patient with the horse... more like a lot of women, I guess.
So, I guess it's more "gay guys can maybe get a better tune out of a difficult horse because they're less confrontational" - which makes me think that the straight ones must be REALLY exceptional riders!
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

fingers_crossed

Visit site
And alot of dressage is about presentation and gossiping with connections, which many heterosexual men (or the ones I know) cannot be bothered with - my OH often jokes about whether it would help him if he turned!

only_me

Visit site
just had a thought - most top male eventers are straight, as are showjumpers.

But in dressage the majority of top male riders are gay...

anyone spot something?
tongue.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
and how strange that most showjumpers at top level (as far as i know) are not gay?!! my gay dressage trainer refused to come to a showjumping dinner for that very reason
blush.gif

My OH is convinced that all men who ride are either gay or fat and old (it doesn't help when he sees people like Geoff Billington on the TV!
blush.gif
tongue.gif
)

diggerbez

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
just had a thought - most top male eventers are straight, as are showjumpers.

But in dressage the majority of top male riders are gay...

anyone spot something?
tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

agh! you beat me by a minute!
mad.gif
tongue.gif

meardsall_millie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I completely agree with this post. My dressage trainer (who is female!) an I were discussing it the other day and couldn't think of any top male dressage riders who weren't gay. Even the ones that I thought were straight turned out not to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Er - Richard Davison - married - not gay!

Halfstep

Visit site
Really don't see how/why the sexuality of anyone makes any difference? Honestly?

At least in dressage people are open enough to feel comfortable being out of the closet. Perhaps that is what makes the difference?

Iestyn

Visit site
I'm certainly not going to complain - if any one of them wants to come n find me, they're more than welcome!!!
grin.gif

LittleSoph

southeastriders.myfanforum.org
At college I had three close male friends. One was gay and is aspiring to be a dressage rider, riding for some very influential riders, and the other two... one wants to showjump and one is an eventer! lol! So it isn't just the case at the top!

However, my lecturer was gay and he events at four star.

TheoryX1

Visit site
Hahahahahahahhah. This brightened up my Sunday morning. Interesting subject, but who cares really. I like gay men, always have. Mini TX's sj instructor, who is actually a 4* event rider is as camp as hell. His boyfriend who is also an event rider is even camper, so it just goes to prove its not just dressage riders!

Mimd you when I found out CH was gay I wept - what a waste of a man.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Bizarre thread resurrected from the vaults!! :D

I'm sorry, was there a point at which anyone DIDN'T know Carl was gay?

And as above meh. There's really only one situation in which it matters. :)

kerilli

Visit site
Yes, quite surprised to see this old one resurrected.
I fail to see why it is anyone else's business, ever. (Unless of course it happens to be the person you fancy the pants off and then discover is gay... really must get my gaydar attuned.)