why are there no serious competition horses on loan??

BSJAlove

Visit site
it upsets me! there i am looking for a serious compition horse for full loan. find the perfect one, it falls through and now i cant find another?!?

why do i ALWAYS get the bad luck
frown.gif

fornema

Visit site
This was on horsedates.co.uk advertised about a week ago

Offered
No image available

FOR LOAN OR LEASE TO 5* COMPETITION HOME (100409)

Stunning 16.2hh reg kwpn mare,She is truly a top quality horse ,with out of this world paces,shes just coming up to 5-years old and is backed,walk,trot,canter.Her full brother events at ** so she has it in her blood lines to event or would make top class dressage horse.ONLY 5* proven record rider\\\'s may apply.and 5* homes.ref required.Genuine reason for lease/loan

claire k
paddockpeople@aol.com
Norfolk

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
This was on horsedates.co.uk advertised about a week ago

Offered
No image available

FOR LOAN OR LEASE TO 5* COMPETITION HOME (100409)

Stunning 16.2hh reg kwpn mare,She is truly a top quality horse ,with out of this world paces,shes just coming up to 5-years old and is backed,walk,trot,canter.Her full brother events at ** so she has it in her blood lines to event or would make top class dressage horse.ONLY 5* proven record rider\\\'s may apply.and 5* homes.ref required.Genuine reason for lease/loan

claire k
paddockpeople@aol.com
Norfolk

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't a serious competition horse though - it's a just backed 5 year old that has done nothing. Might prove to be wonderful in the future, after the loanee has put all the hard work in, and then the owner might just take it off them. It might just as easily prove to be useless - which the loanee will be blamed for as they have 'ruined' it.

251libby

Visit site
.....because serious competition horses go on lease not loan and you have to pay £1000 a year for the priverlage (sp)!!

PaddyMonty

Visit site
They are about
tongue.gif

I would class Juno as a serious comp horse. True she is just starting out, is green and a bit quirky.
In her last 3 BSJA comps she has had two 3rd placings, a 2nd and a win.
Now has £107 act, £51 notional. Not bad for a total experience of 7 comps.
On full loan to me. I do keep her at owners farm (foc) but also have permission to move her if I want to. She is the last of their breeding line and wont be sold so no worries about putting in lots of work only to loose her.

her first comp
sat22066.jpg

sat22070.jpg

Bossanova

Visit site
I offered my eventer up for loan to sj a while ago and got so many numpties applying I wouldnt bother again. My advert was very clear about what he could and couldnt do and very upfront about his quirks.

People dont often loan good competition horses- there are normally a fair few lower level ones hanging around but they tend to come through word of mouth

SpottedCat

Visit site
It depends on what you call 'serious'. To the average person, my horse who is proven at Novice level eventing and is safe as houses to teach someone the ropes of eventing is a 'serious' competition horse. He'll go intermediate one day I hope and I've been told by a couple of professionals he'd go advanced in the right hands (which are highly unlikely to be mine I might add as I suspect I will run out of talent and ability right around the intermediate/CCI* stage).

However to someone like Freshman he's not a 'serious' competition horse because his record is a bit dismal and he's never going to be in contention for any teams.

He is on loan right now - but he went via word of mouth and the girl who has him had to agree to only having him for 6 months as I want him back then! She's happy with that as she gets to at least get some experience BE on a decent safe horse, I'm happy because I get to go travelling for 6 months and then event the second part of the season, and so it goes on.

So I think you need to realise that if someone has a decent horse capable of a bit more than the bottom level of affiliated competition, it will a)not likely need to be advertised and will go through word of mouth and b)you may have to be flexible in how long you get it for.

I went to see a horse advertised as a novice eventer for loan once - it was never going to go novice again and in fact from what I have heard never evented again - there was a reason it was advertised for loan rather than it going through word of mouth! I bought my horse instead a few months later.

burtie

Visit site
Depends on what you mean by serious, that said I have loaned out my mare a few times and although she was always well looked after and they were capable riders, they didn't generally have the time, money and know how to compete her seriously, hence why they were loaning not buying.

BSJAlove

Visit site
serious i mean a horse that will go far or has gone far in a disopline. in my case, BSJA or BE is more of what im after.

i did have the perfect horse all set to arrive today but owner called at 8 saying the horse wouldnt load and they had been having problems for weeks so i turned it down as id previously had horses who were crap to load and i do NOT want to go there again!!

BSJAlove

Visit site
BJSA ive gone up to foxhunter and BE only novice. im more of a bsja person
laugh.gif
by far i mean had potential to compete to a high level or IS competing to a high level.

dieseldog

Visit site
Is this for you to ride? What about the superstar youngster you were trying to sell last week? I thought it had to go as you had too many other horses.

BSJAlove

Visit site
the one i was getting was the new one. but the owners called me this morning saying they couldnt get her to load when they had told me she was perfect so i questioned them and they came out with a load of stuff wrong with her that they had already told me was fine. so i was SEETHING. not a good day today. and now my youngster is gone, im looking for another!!

FRESHMAN

www.northcotestud.com
For me that advert is like most others. In reality it has potential, not a serious competition horse. I think it isa cheap way of trying to get someone else to 'produce' a horse up to a standard without paying schooling charges. Doesnt usually work though!
grin.gif

emma69

Visit site
Decent comp horses do go out on loan, but usually only to people who are known in the discipline. If you are jumping foxhunters, you likely haven't got that much of a reputation yet. As others have said, you may have to be flexible with the length of the loan, I have known a couple of really decent sjers and a dressage horse who were all loaned out when their riders went overseas for a year.