Why are yard boots/ country boots so expensive

Lexi 123

Visit site
It only horsey people who buy them . Like you can ride in them but there technically not proper riding boots as you can’t compete in them so why are they like 200 hundred for just a yard boots that are only for the winter. I just don’t get why are they overpriced.

Equi

Visit site
Leather is expensive. Decent leather is more expensive. Decent leather with a fancy name attached is even more expensive. Tis what it is.

I’ve personally never paid more than 100 for my country boots, just picked up a pair of broginis for £99. I simply would not pay £375 for a pair or dubarrys they weren’t even comfortable.

Highmileagecob

Visit site
I virtually live in a pair of KTYs and have another pair waiting in the wings for when these fall apart. Two pairs for under £120. And pair number one has been resoled by the local shoemender and is still going strong after two years.

Boughtabay

Visit site
It only horsey people who buy them . Like you can ride in them but there technically not proper riding boots as you can’t compete in them so why are they like 200 hundred for just a yard boots that are only for the winter. I just don’t get why are they overpriced.

Because it’s only horsey people who buy them 😜

ponynutz

Visit site
I live in a £50 pair that are substituting for riding boots since my ariat long boots suffered a terrible death. I’ve never found them to be too expensive tbh!

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
I like ariat windermere h2o they are usually £160 ish but i did manage to get a paid for £135 which I thought was very good 😊

eahotson

Visit site
Merry boots.Look on Facebook.I have a pair.Love them.They are Australian and colourful.Made with high grade rubber with a neoprene lining.Very easy to put on.Keep your feet dry and warm.Good sole so helps stop slipping in mud etc.Easy clean.

conniegirl

Visit site
I have a pair for the yard and a pair for good.
I wear the good pair everywhere. With dresses, skirts, jeans etc. they’re a very useful part of my wardrobe

honetpot

Visit site
To be fair the top brands tend to spend money on R&D, then they make them to price point, so some are made in China, so anything that is made in the EU is more expensive. As soon as it goes to China, then you get them remade as knock offs, from lower quality materials, so you are not only paying more for the origanal product but the fact its made to their standard.
What really gets me is when they have used cheaper materials and the product is not as good for the same money. My yard boots ATM are old mans shoes from Cotton Traders, my Ariats I have decided to keep as non muck boots,and they have lasted a nearly two winters.
Perhaps we should have a poll of what brands last the longest in seven days a week winter yard work.

A lot of riding stuff now is about fashion, who needs this seasons colour horse rug? When people rode a lot in all weathers it was about what kept you warm and dry the longest. I have a twenty year old Puffa stockmans coat that is still waterproof.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My go to for all boots are mountain horse I love the way they fit and all mine have really lasted well, I have 2 pairs of riding boots 2 pairs of country boots and a pair of the short classic as well all lovely boots.

I recently bought a pair of shires Allesandra zip up country boots on vinted they had never been worn, and I absolutely love them they are so comfortable I've worn them loads.

Abacus

Visit site
Price per wear is probably the tiniest proportion of a cheap pair of jeans, and they have to be comfortable and very hard wearing. A good pair should last at least a couple of winters, and might be worn twice per day every day, for a lot of steps and in mud, wet etc.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I've been impressed by the quality and comfort of Cabbotswood country boots and I absolutely abuse my boots! They are well under your £200 budget too. I think mine were about £100.

I often wear these instead of my Ariats.

Jenko109

Visit site
I used to love country boots, but I have totally gone off them.

Short boots and chaps for riding for me.

Wellingtons for walking, although I have just paid £180 for a pair of Le Chameau 🙈 I am so fussy about not having flapping around my calfs and do find them a cut above the rest for comfort. Plus they have a two year guarantee.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I'm the sort of person targeted marketing people hate. When country boots became a thing and horsey people went wild for them, I swore I would never ever jump on the trend and I never have :)

Similarly I will never ever buy one of those awful equi dry things 🤣
I'm not a lover of the equi dry either must be like wearing a tent 😂

lynz88

Visit site
I wear mine for anything and everything muddy. Yard, house stuff, even going to the local shops if it's rainy or chilly. I've got the Dakota yard boots from Bareback footwear and have had them for almost 2.5 years. They get worn most of the year and still going strong.

Someone mentioned Dubarry....they don't fit my high instep so have never been tempted 😁

lynz88

Visit site
A lot of riding stuff now is about fashion, who needs this seasons colour horse rug? When people rode a lot in all weathers it was about what kept you warm and dry the longest. I have a twenty year old Puffa stockmans coat that is still waterproof.

sadly it is the same with hiking stuff. There was a recent discussion on a UK hiking FB group about The North Face as they used to have proper hiking and outdoor gear but have shifted to the "high street wannabe hiker" crowd. Rab is slowly going the same way and wouldn't be surprised if other brands do the same ☹️

gallopingby

Visit site
I'm not a lover of the equi dry either must be like wearing a tent 😂
It’s interesting to see how Equidry has been copied, but even more so that so many people who originally said they would never wear one have been converted. I suppose it depends where you live and what you do. In terms of waterproof levels and warmth there’s not much about that will beat them at the moment although recently the number of properly waterproof coats to a decent rain rating has improved and now it’s fairly easy to find ones with a 10,000 + label.The most useful things about Equidry is that it easily covers whatever is underneath and they’re great for sneaking out to the stables first thing in the morning or late at night.

meleeka

Visit site
I don’t think country boots are particularly aimed at horsey people. They are aimed at the same people who buy Land Rovers. Some of them own horses, but others just take their doodle dog to the country park once a week.

I live in mine. I can’t wear wellies as I either get cold feet, or the sole is too thin and it hurts when I walk on stones. I prefer country boots to any other as a quick hose off and I can go to the shops
on my way home. Anything that is the colour of mud and hides a multitude of sins is good for me!

I have Bareback boots now. They were more expensive than I wanted to spend, but fitted me instantly which is a big plus. I have wide feet, so it’s usually a painful process wearing anything in. When I’ve had cheaper boots they haven’t been waterproof either, which is essential when you have horses living out I think.

Kunoichi73

Visit site
sadly it is the same with hiking stuff. There was a recent discussion on a UK hiking FB group about The North Face as they used to have proper hiking and outdoor gear but have shifted to the "high street wannabe hiker" crowd. Rab is slowly going the same way and wouldn't be surprised if other brands do the same ☹️
I noticed that about The North Face stuff a few years ago. The lower end stuff is definitely aimed at the fashion market and is, in many cases (particularly the stuff aimed at women) totally impractical. Some of the higher end, more expensive stuff is still ok.

If I'm buying a waterproof, I usually go for a good goretex one with a 20,000 waterproof rating.

lynz88

Visit site
I now buy a LOT of Mountain Equipment. I really rate the brand for outdoor stuff and I really hope it doesn't turn into a "North Face". You are right, their high end mountaineering stuff that is eyewateringly expensive is still good but the rest...is meh.