Why buy a horse?!?

Aimzy

Visit site
Hi every1. Im pretty new here, but got something on my mind that thought id share!
When u buy a new horse, its one of the best things in the world right? You get to spend time with him/her, grooming, riding, bonding.... basically getting to know him/her and becoming best friends, right? Once u've got that special bond with ur horse its such a fab feeling and all ur hardwork and effort seems to pay off.
What i want to know is how someone can buy a new horse, only own it a few weeks and then seem to lose interest?!?! Not ride, not come down the yard (or if they do, quite literally just look over the gate to make sure the horse has all 4 legs, not even go and say hello) and basically not spend anytime at all with their horse. They are never going to get that special bond or trust with their horse. I just dont understand it. So unfair on the horse. Surely if u havent got the time or commitment for it, then u wouldnt buy a horse in the first place!?!? Sorry its just a situation i know of has upset me as i feel sooooo sorry for this poor beautiful horse, he has such a kind temperament and he's only a baby so needs the attention. Every day when my friends & i get our horses in he runs down after us wanting attention. Its just not fair.
mad.gif
x

Flame_

Visit site
Hi it does seem a bit odd to buy a horse and then ignore it.
crazy.gif
But...

[ QUOTE ]
he's only a baby

[/ QUOTE ]

How old is he? Could it be the owners have bought him and are leaving him to mature and be a horse before they start working him?

Also how long have they left him for? Maybe they think he needs time to improve condition or get over a physical problem they've not told you about.

Maybe they've just got more money than sense.
wink.gif
smile.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
I can see the point you are making and indeed agree with how you describe the daily chores and quality time that should be spent with a horse..be it new addition or any age of horse but without actually knowing the individual, their circumstances, work commitments, family commitments, spare time and the age of the horse, (you said its a baby) then it would be unfair to comment if you get what I mean.
smile.gif

Everyone is different, it's a fact that some spend more time with their horses than others be it riding, grooming, handling youngsters, chores etc some people just simply bob down to check on them, perhaps that is all the owner feels they need, as long as they are being checked daily and are perfectly healthy ...its really all personal choice and there is nothing wrong with that, not everyone is the same, some horses require more attention and exercise, others don't, perhaps the owner is has a good reason why they do this, then again perhaps the owner could just cant be bothered and like you say just not committed enough to owning a horse...who knows.. all I'm saying is not everything is how it seems sometimes.
smile.gif

flowerlady

Visit site
I understand what you are saying Kenzo but looking at a horse/pony over a gate will not tell you if it has any cuts grazes eye infections etc. I agree with poster and if It were on a yard I was on would try and get to know owner just saying hi and asking about the youngster and their hopes for it. Only then would I maybe suggest they handle it more so it gets to know them but only in a (Oh if it were mine I wouldn't be able to resist grooming him and picking his feet up etc. Maybe owners don't know much? So if I were the poster of this thread that is what I think I would do

flowerlady

Visit site
Aimzy. Can I please ask you not to type in phone text. You may not get many replies as alot on the forum hate it and can be very harsh on those that use it! (Just a suggestion). Please do not take offence
grin.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
Indeed I totally agree, that certainly wouldnt be my practice niether.

I think the point I was trying to make was was that it would be a little unfair for people (as in us on the forum) to perhaps jump to the wrong conclusions without actually fully being of aware of the situation, unfortunately not everyone is as dedicated.

I get accused of fannying around (yes those words
grin.gif
) just becuse I wash my horses legs and tail every week off some of the other liveries..but I dont hold it against them if they don't do that with theirs... everyone is different and everyone has differnnt standards of horse care.
smile.gif
...its usually the ones that dont check on them, rugs/grazes etc that are ok...and never get the any vet bills etc but thats just sods law
grin.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
Actually your kinda right, he is an odd colour!..even my farrier said on Monday night ''for god sake what colour is he supposed to be!''...beats me
confused.gif
.. steel grey, roan, iron grey...bay roan...god knows but if someone can tell me then please do, it down as bay on his passport
confused.gif
grin.gif

sorry straying of the subject here, I'll shut up now
smile.gif

username223

Visit site
I agree that you may not know the personal curcumstances and there could be a good reason why they are leaving the horse alone etc. but I've been in a similar situation myself. We basically let my friend keep her first horse at my house for a while and to start with she was all excited and eager because she had never owned a horse before, therefore did absolutely everything, she spent hours grooming, mucking out, did all the boring chores and was always here pretty much all day, keeping the yard spick and span! But after literally about 3 weeks of owning the horse she obviously realised it was very hard work and her standards started to slip, she kept leaving things about, not mucking out very well and barely ever groomed. Our horses are fed and turned out asap in the morning (about 8ish) and she agreed to keep to the same routine, but on more than a number of occasions she didnt turn up until midday ...so this poor horse was often standing in a dirty stable without hay or water and having had no breakfast for hours, she never called to say "I'm going to be late today could you possibly feed her please blah blah" we were always just waiting, worried about her horse, which to be honest I don't think is our responsibility as she was on completely DIY livery. One time in the winter she didn't turn up until 11 o clock at night to get the poor horse in, it had no rug on and must have been freezing!
frown.gif
I ended up having words with her but she didn't seem to care about her horse being stuck out on her own in the freezing cold or having to wait for hours for her breakfast...some people.

DallasBean

New User
Visit site
Hi, I'm new too, I'm on the same yard as the original poster and am also concerned!

This horse is not so much as a youngster but a 6 yr old, but I'd still class it as a baby! We also know the owner well, and her circumstances and know that she has more than enough time to do something with this horse!

Our yard is full of helpfull and knowledgeable people, and we have offered help in the past just to be shoved off! We've had terrible weather, so much so that my horses have been coming in and all of them are rugged! Yet this poor horse who is not a native breed but a pure TB has been out in all weather with no rug! It stands by the gate shivering when ours are in and constantly calls and paces the fence!

I know what its like to be in a rush to go see my horses, yet I make a point of entering the field, checking them all over, re-adjusting the rug and giving them a polo. It takes a matter of minutes.

Should we say something to her? or not, I can imagine she would take offence, but its the welfare of the horse which is more important to me.

Kenzo

Visit site
Oh dear, and what was the outcome?, did she change her ways or did the horse eventually get sold?

I think when it comes to the younger generation its vital that the parents hammer it into them the work and time involved, the problem is that not every teenager (for example) have parents from a horsey background, they just have the money to throw around and buy the animal in the first place, and to pay for it to be kept at livery etc so all of the above and like you have explained goes unnoticed if they are not caring for the horse as they should, so it is good that there is people like yourself to keep a watchful eye on them if you know the horse is being neglected etc.

M_G

Visit site
Thay may come down at times when no one is at the yard. I know when I go down to give my lad his breakfast no one else is there admitedly there are a few about when I go up in the evenings

Angua2

Visit site
mmm odd and if this is truly the case then I am unsure what to suggest. However, according to some on my yard my horses are neglected because they never see them done. My times are different to anyone elses. But with my section A, I do almost fall in that catagory, not though choice more that I usually only can get within 3 feet of him at the best of times

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Should we say something to her? or not, I can imagine she would take offence, but its the welfare of the horse which is more important to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the YO doing? - he has a responsiblity in this situation.

Aimzy

Visit site
As Dallasbean said, unfortunately we know the horse has not been turned away. Our friend only bought him 5-6 wks ago to start riding club activities, but just seems to have lost interest unfortunately for the poor horse. Yard owner is very laid back and will only say something if it carries on into the winter, as at the moment it is summer and no this horse doesnt have any cuts/grazes but i still feel if it was me, i have to come to see my horse every day so that i can make sure he is ok and ease my own concious! Sorry im not quite sure what u mean by phone text... im sure i'll get use to it! x

BlackDiamond

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I'm new too, I'm on the same yard as the original poster and am also concerned!

This horse is not so much as a youngster but a 6 yr old, but I'd still class it as a baby! We also know the owner well, and her circumstances and know that she has more than enough time to do something with this horse!

Our yard is full of helpfull and knowledgeable people, and we have offered help in the past just to be shoved off! We've had terrible weather, so much so that my horses have been coming in and all of them are rugged! Yet this poor horse who is not a native breed but a pure TB has been out in all weather with no rug! It stands by the gate shivering when ours are in and constantly calls and paces the fence!

I know what its like to be in a rush to go see my horses, yet I make a point of entering the field, checking them all over, re-adjusting the rug and giving them a polo. It takes a matter of minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What help has been offered only to be shoved off? If you are offering to do her horse for her or help her manage her time then clearly she is not worth helping and you should call the RSPCA or ILPH.
You cannot help some people, so report it soon.