Why can't other dog walkers listen to you 😠

fankino04

Visit site
What is it with the "he's friendly" brigade that they can't just accept that you don't want their dog all over yours? I may well be extra cranky through lack of sleep but although Ash is now 100% sound and pain free I would consider him to still be rehabbing from his back injury, by that I mean he stays on the lead and is building his strength back up so currently only up to 20 minute walks, he is pretty dog neutr but noodle gets very excited by other dogs and then that ramps him up a bit and at the moment I don't want the 2 of them spinning around trying to play with someone's "friendly" dog. This morning I politely pulled over to give a woman space to pass with her 2 as mine were dawdling along sniffing, hers were on flexi leads and came straight over, I asked her to take them away from mine as he was recovering from injury and I didn't want him overexcited and bouncing around and she just said how calm and friendly hers were and that it would be fine... Ffs 😠😠😠

fankino04

Visit site
I'd definitely agree with the idiot bit, I'd be more accepting of them if they actually were deaf though, at least they'd have an excuse but these ones stopped to chat about how it would all be fine coz their dog is so good. It's not normally much of an issue for me as mine aren't aggressive but they are often on leads when others are allowed to wander up to them and obviously the owners don't know that they aren't on lead due to being aggressive. Noodle is on the lead around other dogs as she is too friendly and if allowed would get right up in their face which often leads to a fearful aggressive response from the other dog which she then reacts badly too, obviously due to their size if anything bad happened I know they would get blamed!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I was walking last week with a Rottweiler, and a friend and her deaf Dalmation (who wears a 'deaf dog' collar) and a small Staffy, all on leads. Up a head, standing in the middle of a 40mph road with no pavement/verge were 2 of the silliest women you could ever meet, chatting. One has a most ill-mannered Labrador , which she has allowed to do as it pleases since it was a small pup, her dog was on a lead tying her up like a maypole by spinning round her on its back legs, The other has a cocker spaniel, which is never on a lead, despite the LA by-law which says that all dogs should be on a lead on public land at all times. The spaniel came running towards us and it was only when we insisted that the owner called for it, it ignored her and kept on coming. Eventually she managed to lassoo it but was most unhappy about it all.
As it happens none of our dogs is aggressive but why would you risk it?

{97702}

Visit site
As before, because they have no recall and because dogs like yours shouldn't be out in public during normal hours if theyre going to get so upset with unwanted interaction ;)

I await this thread developing in the same way as all the others on the subject ;)

Exactly so - “I am entitled to take my pain in the arse in your face dog out whenever and wherever I choose, he/she is just being a dog & is interacting with other dogs, if your dog can not cope with that then you shouldn’t be out in a public place” - etc etc etc

paisley

Visit site
What is it with the "he's friendly" brigade that they can't just accept that you don't want their dog all over yours? I may well be extra cranky through lack of sleep but although Ash is now 100% sound and pain free I would consider him to still be rehabbing from his back injury, by that I mean he stays on the lead and is building his strength back up so currently only up to 20 minute walks, he is pretty dog neutr but noodle gets very excited by other dogs and then that ramps him up a bit and at the moment I don't want the 2 of them spinning around trying to play with someone's "friendly" dog. This morning I politely pulled over to give a woman space to pass with her 2 as mine were dawdling along sniffing, hers were on flexi leads and came straight over, I asked her to take them away from mine as he was recovering from injury and I didn't want him overexcited and bouncing around and she just said how calm and friendly hers were and that it would be fine... Ffs 😠😠😠

The new phrase in use seems to be 'He/She just has to say hello to everyone!' Usually by owners of over-excited cockerdoodle dog melange.
I just bypass this and inform them they have a chance to get their dog under control before I kick it up its posterior (I'm paraphrasing!). Not that I have the title of the grumpiest dog walker in Surrey or anything. :rolleyes:

paddy555

Visit site
The new phrase in use seems to be 'He/She just has to say hello to everyone!' Usually by owners of over-excited cockerdoodle dog melange.

not in our area. There is a new word "sorry" muttered to no one in particular. That means I couldn't be bothered to put the creature on a lead, don't have recall, in fact really had no idea where it was as I was looking at my screen, don't really care if it ran into your bike, your dog or anything else but it is the new word as they pass by and carry on with their out of control dog as before.

fankino04

Visit site
These idiots are making me a bit worried that starting dog walking as a business next month might not be the happy stress free job I was hoping for, its fine meeting them with my dogs that I know inside out and are big enough to scare most people away (irritating but fine / manageable). I'm not looking forward to it with dogs that I'm just getting to know...

Lintel

Visit site
I have now gotten to the stage of loudly saying "DON'T BE GRUMPY" to my dog as soon as we see others.

They then tend to give us a wide berth.
The fact that he is a dark faced angry looking GSD also probably helps... but there is always the entirely stupid person.. and always will be.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Our front entry is open to the road and one particular owner lets her dogs loose on the lane when she walks them. The dogs come in to our front yard. Our dog is never left loose in the garden unless we are with him and he knows he is not allowed outside. Yesterday OH was outside with our dog when all 3 dogs come onto our land. OH says, as he takes our dog away, “Hi, xxxx, would you please keep your dogs out of our garden?” She walked on without even calling her dogs and completely ignored him. OH came indoors muttering. I think my response would have been different.

paisley

Visit site
I have now gotten to the stage of loudly saying "DON'T BE GRUMPY" to my dog as soon as we see others.

The fact that he is a dark faced angry looking GSD also probably helps... but there is always the entirely stupid person.. and always will be.
Might be a tad tricky to butch up a skinny whippety thing :p

GSD Woman

Visit site
I had a dog aggressive German Shepherd bitch years ago. I always walked her on lead on public land. I had one woman refuse to call back her dog, telling me that he was friendly and just sniff. I told her my bitch would just leave holes. It worked. She called that dog faster than fast.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i had the opposite this morning, i was walking my little terrier off lead and a chap came towards me with a similar sized dog off lead..mine can be a bit pushy but as both were off lead i feel they can get on with it. the other dog told mine off a couple of times which made him back off (both of which are normal behaviours) and the owner then told his dog off so i said your dog isnt wrong she is just telling mine off as he is in the wrong... his little dog was not an aggressive dog she just was telling mine to FO, in quite a polite way and if we had walked together they would have been fine but he then put his on the lead and marched off in the other direction. thats another friend i have made :):)

Last edited:

Arzada

Visit site
not in our area. There is a new word "sorry" muttered to no one in particular. That means I couldn't be bothered to put the creature on a lead, don't have recall, in fact really had no idea where it was as I was looking at my screen, don't really care if it ran into your bike, your dog or anything else but it is the new word as they pass by and carry on with their out of control dog as before.
You are so right about 'sorry' but that's quite unusual because it seems to be the dog's right to run all over the place on shared paths and therefore a sorry isn't offered. Just picking one of a catalogue of events in my area re dogs and bikes on shared paths. Stopped my bike just before a solid Lab wrapped itself round the front wheel. As usual I said nothing because frankly there is absolutely no point in saying anything. Owner said 'I suppose I should have them (there were 2) on leads' so I broke the golden rule of not engaging and simply said 'Yes'. She told me that she can't have them on leads because they pull her over.

Actually here's another: came round a bend on an uphill shared path to find a very alert looking loose Doberman ahead of 2 women. Dog bounded down the path past them and proceeded to run at a right angle alongside me barking aggressively and lunging towards my leg. I had a clear view of its incisors. It was very frightening and as I can't get off to the left I kept pedalling slowly expecting the walkers to call the dog. They didn't and it was only some time later that it was called by someone in a nearby field who couldn't even see the dog. The dog bit the back wheel as it went. Stupidly I just kept going but wish I had turned around and had a conversation. At least it was me and not children though that would have been interesting with a protective parent in tow.

And another: big Labradoodle type ran straight at my stopped (of course) bike after the owner yelled 'No' Dog hit the frame. Owner and his friends said nothing. Not even sorry.

But the worst was the other day when I happened across a large dog attacking the cob who was defending his pen and cygnets. I stopped and yelled at the owner to call her dog off. Not once did she call the dog - she simply hinged at the hip and kept pointing at the ground. (I don't think the dog was deaf because the owner spoke soothingly to it once it had returned to her) The attack lasted about 5 minutes and the cob was magnificent. The dog only stopped and returned to its owner when the cob managed to drive it into deep water. I stayed throughout because I would have gone in if the dog had actually managed to get the cob. What would you guys have done?

Sorry to bang on. It's just that it seems to be getting worse and after the Doberman incident I find myself getting nervous around even small, probably quite harmless dogs.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
dog attacking swan is wrong, i too would have had a go at the owner....we have cygnets at our local park and if the swans are on the path i go the other way as they get very upset at the dogs and even if the dog is on the lead it still makes the swans get aggressive and i would rather not disturb them. some people are so insensitive

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I used to cycle with a dog, it was a nightmare to be honest. Some people didn't seem to care that their small dog was about to get squashed under my front wheel or that their large dog is running over to attack mine, not because it is 'friendly'. The clue is that it is growling, the hackles are up, the tail is being carried over the back, etc etc etc.
I did get chased by a dobe on a horse once, same thing, ran beside me trying to have a go, I roared at it and waved whip in the air and it ran off.
I have yelled at people before allowing their dogs to chase things, or try to take photo or video. I'm a terrible shot but a well aimed rock might sharpen the owner's focus. Even if it missed and landed in the water.

paisley

Visit site
In fairness, I do accept that the majority of other dog walkers are not as perfect as myself, or my impeccably behaved sight-hound :p

I also choose to forget the mortification/grovelling apologies from 'incidents' such as the full on muddy pawed Ninja leap onto the nice lady with the cream suit, wanting to be BFFs with the only dog-phobic child on a massive crowded beach and refusing to stop diving up a colleagues skirt on a bring your dog to work day.

{97702}

Visit site
**says reminiscently** I got chased by a dog when I was on a horse once.... I definitely wasn’t waving the whip in the air! Sadly I failed to make contact with the dog, as the horse was intent on galloping off around the field we were in

Dog attacking swan? I’d have grabbed the dog if I could have done so reasonably safely, totally irresponsible stupid cruel owner 😡😡😡

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
This is timely.... I whacked a cavadoodle thing tonight with a yard broom, then... nearly thought about breaking it over the head of its entitled appallingly rude owner!
I'm finishing off doing fuzzies so propping up barrow, P dog on the yard sitting quietly, mad fluffy thing comes through my closed gate between thr bottom bars and makes for P dog! Then growls and tried to grab her by her neck, shes just over 7kg! So I ran in with broom and whopped it , twice over and then managed to grab it. Threw it in a stable, checked over P dog and apart from looking v worried, she was fine.
5 mins later apparent owner turns up and asks if I'd seen a dog, so calmly gave her chapter and verse about out of control dogs, what consequences could be and repercussions (also pointing out that had I not been there, if a mini Fuzzy had been attacked etc etc). Owner v angry that I'd shut dog in... even more angry that I'd pointed out law, then lost plot when next door yo but 1 comes up to see what racket is about...
Next door yo but 1 is a very clued up ... dog warden.... I left them discussing the merits of putting on lead, the amount of fine one could expect and finally asking me if I wanted to press charges about a dog not under control.... what the final thing that shut up dog walker was, that another friend rocked up to shoot rabbits tonight, so cottoned on and promised to shoot on site any dogs worrying my livestock! I tried hard not to laugh at that.
No major harm done, in fact possible hard education, but it really pees me off that some people are so vile and do not give a shiyte :(

gunnergundog

Visit site
Grumpy old woman tactics that I have deployed in the past.......big estate that I have permission to walk all over; unfortunately there are a few public footpaths as well. Majority are great, but as ever, it is the minority that spoil it for all. One particular miscreant used to let his long dog run wild. I mean WILD....it could be anywhere and he would be MILES away. I knew who it belonged to, I had had words as had various other members of the estate on numerous occasions. One day it seriously annoyed me as I had a dog out post-op for his first walk, so I shoved one of my slip leads on it, walked around and everyone I saw I asked 'is this your dog? Just found it alone down by the lake, no-one in sight...may have to take it to the dog warden if not yours.' I accosted the actual owner and he denied ownership - can you believe that? So, dog went down town to the pound. He DID pay the necessary money to retrieve it and fortunately we've never seen him since.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The stupid woman with the Spaniel, that PaS mentioned earlier up the thread, does indeed know the local by-law, as I had to call the dog warden, when spaniel woman and her friend with a Collie, allowed the Collie to run out into the road and into the side of my car! No sin of either woman and when they did turn up seemed disinerested that the dog and car had collided and dog run off! Aso not keen on listening to my rant :D

Last edited:

yhanni

Visit site
I've now got a small spray - very strong clove smell & I carry it with me at all times when I'm dog walking (daughter calls it "do what you're f***ing told" spray!!). Any dog that approaches my on lead dog aggressive EBT with evil intent will be getting sprayed in the face. It doesn't hurt them and is sold as a dog deterrent. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to reach from the horse and the horse would probably bu88er off as well!

vallin

Visit site
Out hacking on Saturday after horse has had three weeks off so is a little lively. Loose dog comes running up to her and behind her back legs. I quickly spin her round and stupid dog tries again to get behind her. Eventually lady out hacking with three children appears and says 'its ok, he won't bite', my reply was 'he may well not, but that won't stop my horse kicking the s*** out of him if he hangs around her back legs'. Not sure she was impressed 😠

Peter7917

Visit site
A woman who owns a yard local to us has a border collie who was regularly out on the road, people complain to her and her response is 'hes a border collie, they cant be locked up all day, my husband must have accidentally let him out'

Eventually he got clipped by a car, luckily not badly injured but dog warden and police were round there and the dog hasn't been seen out on the road since.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
As before, because they have no recall and because dogs like yours shouldn't be out in public during normal hours if theyre going to get so upset with unwanted interaction ;)

I used to get this a lot. I no longer walk in areas where I might encounter a lot of dogs (no bloody wonder my fitness levels are below ground these days 😢) Apparently it was always my fault that their untrained won't recall dogs came up to my very well trained but very reactive dog. Who knew?!

I do similar, lots of 'Leave it!' and walking off in the opposite direction. I was in the tennis court one day (avoiding known bouncy untrained boxer cross who'd be straight over) when a guy asked if he could put his dog in to run round with ours. Lord, lord, no, mate, you can't.

We make a big deal of obviously training ours (OH got rid of some spliff smoking 'yoofs' on the field yesterday with scent work 'training' 🤣) to try to head off other dog walkers. It mostly works and we see the same people often. They know to leave us alone. It's a shame, we used to walk in the woods with other people but just can't anymore. :(

SpottyMare

Visit site
I now take mine out for their main walk at 5.30am. It saves much of my sanity.

I had to laugh the other night though. Very small yappy designer breed dog came hurtling towards us, no owner in sight, yapping and growling in my dogs faces. It then ran off, only to return a couple of minutes later to do the same thing. The owner then appeared and said 'oh, don't worry, she won't bite, she only barks'. I was rendered slightly speechless, as my two are 55kg and 25kg respectively, were trying to get to small dog, and while not aggressive (but how would she know that?) the husky gets VERY excited at the prospect of new friends and tends to bounce up and down on them...(We are working on that). Which, as someone else said, triggers the aggressive fear response in the other dog etc etc.

NAJRBSJ

Visit site

I'm afraid I have a spaniel x breed (accidental ESSxJRT) and I suppose I would fall into this category. She is the most lovely dog and I do obedience with her, however she thinks that EVERYONE wants to say hello to her........ its so bloody annoying.

I recall and pop back on lead whenever we come across someone in the forest as I'm sure it would annoy others as much as it does me but, because I do this and she's still excited, people STILL feel the need to brig their dog over to say hello. I'm trying to train it out of her but my god its tricky when people don't listen. So i'm on the flip side LOL