Why can't we get trailers like this in the uk?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I don't see what's so great about it? The normal sort of double trailer here is actually better (I have lived and worked in the US and had trailers like that one: I'd rather have an Ifor Williams any day), this one doesn't have a ramp, (from my experience) probably quite rattly and noisy.

zoon

Visit site
I live rampless trailers. Never understood the need for them - my horses are not disabled and perfectly able to step up! Most I have found easier to load without a ramp (had use of a fautras before - loved it) plus you can fork lift pallets of bedding in the back.

But what I really like is the front - no breast bars for horses to attempt to jump and get stuck and totally unable to fight with each other which my 2 always do (theyre playing really, not fighting) And those barriers are much sturdier than the flimsy ifor head guard which is an awful bit of kit!

The jockey door to the little tack area at the front is also brilliant and the amount of light coming in is great - think it'd be super bright and well ventilated.

I hate ifor Williams trailers - I think they are very rattly and having stood in the back of one on the move - very uncomfortable ride too!

Equilibrium Ireland

Visit site
I'm with Cortez. I like Ifor's better and I'm American. But most Americans will not do no dressing room. Now there are nicer ones like 3 horse slant loads that have ramps. Plus you also have that gooseneck version.

But also remember most places Americans go are on big huge roads. No matter how they complain, petrol is still not as dear. Those trailers are heavy and nobody pulls with much less than a 3/4 Ton truck. No cars, no wining it in a SWB Rav 4. You have a trailer, you have the truck to pull! My stepmom and sister have just a barn truck for pulling the trailer. It's old but using it everyday would be costly.

Terri

zoon

Visit site
You can - http://www.towinghorsetrailers.co.uk/trailer/1042

Mine is even better than that one as it has a cooker, sink and tack storage in the front.

Have been lusting after a Pegasus for years - thought they were no longer made? Still has a ramp though and breast bars and the horses are not totally separated.

Breast bars do terrify me. I have two youngsters and hold my breath for every journey as convinced they'll try to jump them and get stuck. Both travel perfectly and happily munch on hay, but it doesn't stop me worrying!

galaxy

Visit site
Apart from the lack of breastbar (although a horse could still go up and over what is there) I can't see many improvement than with my Bateson Ascot which doesn't have a ramp and has the barn doors.....

Last edited:

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
The top of the tack locker is quite low, it wouldn't take much for a horse to put a foot or two up on there, then you'd find out how strong it was:(

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
Have been lusting after a Pegasus for years - thought they were no longer made? Still has a ramp though and breast bars and the horses are not totally separated.

You can certainly still get them, mine's only a year old. They are custom made by Wessex, so you can specify what you want.
Mine has barn doors and no ramp.

zoon

Visit site
You can certainly still get them, mine's only a year old. They are custom made by Wessex, so you can specify what you want.
Mine has barn doors and no ramp.

Good to know. My friend had an old one and it was great - huge full length window at front so was wonderfully bright inside.

Well, found out why we don't get this sort of design in the uk - I'm the only one who'd buy one! You can all keep your ifors though - I think they're crap! ;)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You're quite right about the ramp/step up - horses usually have no problem stepping up, but they are just as capable of jumping into the space over the tack area (I once drove 600 miles with a horse standing on top of the "shelf"; she removed herself once we arrived). As Terri said, most American trailers are massively heavy, the suspensions are not as good as the Ifor, they are VERY noisy, and I don't like the way they handle or react when breaking. I do like the goose necks, and the multiple slant loads, 'tho.