Why do haylage nets have small holes?

Coblover63

Visit site
I've used them with hay to try to slow a greedy cob (although I now read that smaller holes doesn't slow them down significantly anyway)

I just wondered WHY haylage nets have small holes and haynets have big ones? Google isn't helping me with this one. Does anyone actually know why each type of net is so called?

Landcruiser

Visit site
I don't know but they are not small enough! Having switched to haylage over the last couple of days because of a COPD issue, my two are extracting every last bit through double bagged shires greedy feeder nets - they absolutely love it and suck it out like spaghetti!

cowgirl16

Visit site
I've always believed the small holed nets were to slow down the eating. I don't feed haylage any more, but still have a haylage net. If I give the small ginger one his hay in it, he gets extremely frustrated!

only_me

Visit site
I just use big hole nets if feeding hay/hayledge. But I have found a net that takes 3/4 of a full bale which gets a lot of use! :D

Wella

Visit site
Because haylage used to be weighed and was not given in large amounts so the smaller holes were meant to make nets last longer.