Why do I keep doing this?! - riding

Noodles_3

Visit site
At the moment I seem to of developed a habit of losing my stirrup (left side) when trotting or cantering! I don't know if my balance is a bit off but my foot seems to slip through the stirrup or if it doesn't do this I end up totally losing it altogether. I just don't get why?! Is it my balance? Stirrups? Or I was even thinking have I got one leg longer than the other I.e need to have one stirrup shorter than the other as it is always the left side! Just need to know a way to stop this happening as it is annoying when I'm trying to concentrate on other things!

JustKickOn

Visit site
Are you pecking forward? I used to lose a stirrup until I sat myself up, stopped tipping forward and got my leg back a bit. Sitting up naturally brought more weight into the ball of my foot which stopped the stirrup slipping.

Have a couple of lessons and see what the instructor says!

Cowpony

Visit site
Have you checked your horse's back? This kept happening to me, then we discovered the saddle was slipping. Then we discovered the saddle was slipping as my horse had a back problem. We fixed the back and I haven't lost a stirrup since.

neddy man

Visit site
Sometimes the left stirrup leather streatches with the action of always mounting/dismounting from that side ,take them both off the saddle and measure them side by side to see if it is longer ,always swop them o/s to n/s when cleaning .Maybe you lean a little to the right making your left foot light in the stirrup, have someone look from front and behind while schooling,or out hacking,or a video taken to asses your riding possition.Hope this helps you.

Noodles_3

Visit site
Thank you I will check the stirrup leathers but I'm sure it's something I must be doing!
Not the saddle slipping as happened on another horse I've ridden lately, definitely must be something I'm doing! Grrr. To be honest, I am just a happy hacker these days but I bet id benefit from a few lessons to smooth out a few things I'm probably doing wrong! Mind, id probably get pulled to bits lol.
Thanks for the suggestions and I will try them all :)

Yuki1290

Visit site
Maybe try riding a hole or two shorter? It sounds like you are struggling to keep your heals down. You can lengthen you stirrup(s) again as you improve, if needed. Hope this helps :)

Emma_H

Visit site
Have you had yourself checked? I used to do this until I got realigned by an osteopath. My pelvis was wonky.
Now, I know when I'm going out as it will start to happen again so I pop off to be manipulated.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Have you checked your horse's back? This kept happening to me, then we discovered the saddle was slipping. Then we discovered the saddle was slipping as my horse had a back problem. We fixed the back and I haven't lost a stirrup since.

Similar experience here on a previous horse I always ended up with one stirrup longer than the other - it turned out he had muscle wastage on one side (just passed worthless 5-stage vetting) and the saddle was slipping over.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I'm the same, can't put much weight in my right heel due to issues with my hip. I didn't realise how pronounced it was until the chiro got me to stand 'level' either have foot on a different set on scales!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Try riding different horses and see if it still happens. Then you will know whether it is a problem with yourself or with your horse. Sorry, just read your other post. Maybe an Alexander technique practitioner could help see if it a problem with your body.

oldie48

Visit site
If you are confident it isn't the horse and that you are sitting straight just shorten your stirrup a hole so you feel comfortable. It's difficult to ride if you are continually fishing for a stirrup and there are lots of anatomical reasons why one leg will be different to the other. I've got a damaged achilles which lacks flexibility and I can do nothing about it but riding with one hole difference really helps me. I do, however, have stirrups with holes that are quite close, some stirrups have holes that are very wide apart and basically you want the best fit you can get otherwise you will feel lop sided. Worth checking if your stirrups are even though, I have a pair that are exactly a hole out!