Why do other horse people always think they know whats right for YOUR horse?

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Just wondered, but i have noticed this a few times, other horsey people seem to think they know whats best for everyone elses horses aswell as there own,
a friend, thought i was utterly stupid for getting the backman out, when ebs had her fall!, said i wasted money and it was really pointless of me to get him out
now another person thinks im a really clueless owner cause i put 4 stables rugs on ebs, as its -10 and i really cant have her loose weight, but apparnlty she still only needs 1/2 cause shes still got alot hair? even tho shes been fully clipped a few days ago :confused:
or bits- if my horse isint a snaffle means im curel, and she only needs a snaffle, cause apparntly she doesnt look strong?

its like yes im not perfect and know everything! but how stupid do you think i am?? :rolleyes: :eek:
sometimes i really dont get other horse people :rolleyes:
anyone else notice this?

only_me

Visit site
If you feel like that, then you probably shouldn't be on a horse forum :rolleyes:

every one tries to help; wether or not that person knows what they are doing is a different matter

Tinypony

Visit site
Sometimes they do know better, the knack is sorting out who does, and who doesn't.
(4 rugs? See, my first question would be what weight of rugs...).

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
2 are just summer sheet and ones an underrug and others a stable :)
but they didt ask questions about it, i got a simple 'your clueless' :p

but how do they know better? if they havent meet the horse? :)

ThePony

Visit site
You seem to ask alot of questions on here (not a criticism!) so if you are like that in 'real life' too then people might just be used to you being after info and so now offer it without you asking? If you are happy with what you are doing and didn't ask for advice then you can take on board what they say and just thank them for the info and carry on as you please! No harm in more knowledge tbh!

SonnysHumanSlave

Visit site
what and you havent had the teeth and saddle checked as well..... thought that was the golden rule with anything these days!! lol

Im only jokin, but yeah horsey people do all like to give their say on everything! what is with that??

4 stable rugs must weigh a bit though, lol.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
no i never get that checked obv cause im such a clueless horse owner :eek: ;)

i know, like im not saying everyone, just a few that have to have the last word on someone elses horse!

But shes bold? :eek: lol

ThePony

Visit site
2 are just summer sheet and ones an underrug and others a stable :)
but they didt ask questions about it, i got a simple 'your clueless' :p

I would prob comment on that too (though I would try and be friendly about it!) - 4 rugs is more weight across the whithers and shoulders than I would be happy with even if well fitting. If you need more warmth but understandably would rather not shell out on millions of diff weight rugs then I would have an under rug and a stable rug, then add a quilted rug if she needs it. I would have thought the summer sheets would add weight and pull on ebs without offering much in the way of insulation.

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
I would prob comment on that too (though I would try and be friendly about it!) - 4 rugs is more weight across the whithers and shoulders than I would be happy with even if well fitting. If you need more warmth but understandably would rather not shell out on millions of diff weight rugs then I would have an under rug and a stable rug, then add a quilted rug if she needs it. I would have thought the summer sheets would add weight and pull on ebs without offering much in the way of insulation.

yes fair enough, but your friendly about it :p, so people just speak to you as if im a peice of dirt :mad:

i know :eek: but we are ordering a big thick one today, it just temp til i it comes :)

Tinypony

Visit site
... then I'd ask why you don't just get a nice stable rug, maybe @350g fill rather than layer up rugs that don't have a lot of warmth to offer. The two summer sheets won't be doing a lot of good. The more rugs you put on the more chances there are for slipping in different directions and making your horse uncomfortable, plus you will be layering 4 seams on the wither. With modern rugs, if you use the right one, then one should be quite enough. -10 isn't that cold, especially when your horse is indoors out of the wind (although of course your horse can't move about much to keep warm).
That's civilised I think, and you either take the advice or leave it. No need to get narked about anything.

ThePony

Visit site
Ah, they are the ones to avoid then! One of the oddities of the horse world is the large range of really odd people! Grumpy know it alls are just one of the breeds!

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
we are tinypony.. but i couldt leave her with little thin rugs on, cause it hasnt come yet... id feel so mean :eek:
like if you ask me why and i tell you, know you understand my reasons but no she didt want to know that, cause im stupid for doing it in the first place.... :eek: lol

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Oops, I can be a bit like that sometimes and lots of others are the same back. I think it's a side-effect of keeping one's horse in communities and you just have to laugh and say "yes dear"!!

ShowJumperBeckii

Visit site
Oops, I can be a bit like that sometimes and lots of others are the same back. I think it's a side-effect of keeping one's horse in communities and you just have to laugh and say "yes dear"!!

but what gets me, is how rude they are when they say it?
yes people are just helping you out, but why are they rude? :eek:
eg. 'id say your horse only needs 2 rugs' < nice
'why the feck does you horse have that manny rugs its stupid' < not so nice
:rolleyes:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
but what gets me, is how rude they are when they say it?
yes people are just helping you out, but why are they rude? :eek:
eg. 'id say your horse only needs 2 rugs' < nice
'why the feck does you horse have that manny rugs its stupid' < not so nice
:rolleyes:

Agreed. That is very rude indeed and hardly helpful. Are they chavs?

AfricanBeauty

Visit site
I agree, it is so frustrating when people think everyone should do it their way. I've been told on several occasions on different yards that what I am doing is wrong, but at the moment I'm lukcy in that where I am at the moment is very friendly, everyone asks questions/advice if they want it, and if not you don't get it. I bred my mare a couple of years ago (baby now 18months) and when I wanted to get him cut last year - don't want a stallion in case it causes problems in the future - all I got from old YO was 'why are you doing it now, whats the rush?' I understand that is a valid question but it was the way she said it like I was being really stupid and I don't know what I'm doing. While he is my first foal, I thought the most responsible thing to do would be to have him cut before his hormones got the better of him and made him difficult to handle - well unfortunately he couldn't be done, and on vets advice I am waiting until next spring; I am also VERY lucky that he is the most amazing yearling I've met, so willing to please and very well behaved - still has character though :)
Also had comments about rugs - my recently purchased TB is a bit of a wimp and gets cold very quickly so currently has 3 rugs on - am also waiting on the new rug to arrive. I have had 'jokey' comments from other people about what he is wearing but I'd much rather he was warm and happy than he got cold I had a vets bill! Bought him off YM so am constantly asking her advice about rugging him, and about my others.
I agree with OP if you ask for advice, or are asked questions in a nice manner and given time to explain why you do something thee is nothing wrong with that; it is when people think they know best and you must do what they say that you get problems.

pip6

Visit site
Know what you mean, met plenty of 'superior' types in livery yards. Not only opinionated, but feel the need to force their ideas on everyone even if they aren't asked for their opinions. If you tell them where to go they tend to sit about the yard (because they have nothing better to do with their lives) bi*ching about you.

Smile at them every time, say thanks for the advice (so you can't be accused by YO of being rude), then do what you were going to do anyway. Really winds them up, then will soon stop offering advice because they know you wont listen. As for the rude gossiping behind your back, let them get on with it, if that's all they can do with their lives very sad people.

At least on here people offer advice when you ask for it.

Last edited:

Caz89

Visit site
My boy is currently in 3 heavy weight rugs... I always used to get sarcastic comments "he is a horse blah blah blah" Yes he is a horse but he is also a very wimpy 21 yr old who drops weight at the sight of any cold weather. Last yr I gave in and rugged how some people said I should and oh guess what.. he looked like some kind of rescue case! He was soo skinny it was awful.

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Im afraid thats how it is in the horse world.

People are opinionated and bitchy.

Its your horse and you should do as you want.

If you want advice ask for it, even then you dont have to take the advice, anyone else who trys to enforce things on you ,just polity says thanks but i thing i will try it my way.

Just ignore them basically!

sassybebe

Visit site
... then I'd ask why you don't just get a nice stable rug, maybe @350g fill rather than layer up rugs that don't have a lot of warmth to offer. The two summer sheets won't be doing a lot of good. The more rugs you put on the more chances there are for slipping in different directions and making your horse uncomfortable, plus you will be layering 4 seams on the wither. With modern rugs, if you use the right one, then one should be quite enough. -10 isn't that cold, especially when your horse is indoors out of the wind (although of course your horse can't move about much to keep warm).
That's civilised I think, and you either take the advice or leave it. No need to get narked about anything.

But we're always advised that layering is better than one thick rug? I've heard pros say (not that they know everything) that they prefer to layer rugs rather than have one heavy one. It also makes it easier to adjust the rugs if the temperature changes. I agree there is a limit to the amount you can put on before it becomes uncomfrotable but i have got one of mine in 3 rugs at the mo because he wasn't warm enough in 2

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Guess we all have our opinions about horse care. I see somethings that make me wince, but I keep my thoughts to myself, do what I do with my own- and sometimes, it influences people to look at things differently.
Thats how I learn, by observing people I respect, talking with them and remembering the little gems of commonsense.
Humility is the best attribute for learning, it comes with an open mind. Being told that you're getting it wrong is hard, but its always worth thinking whether they have a point before dismissing advice.

chrissyc

Visit site
having horses is like having kids it gives others the right to tell you what to do with them and that what you are doing is wrong ! :) (lol get the hint of sarcasm !!)

age teaches you to smile , say thanks , and ignore what they say and carry on regardless :) xx

minkymoo

Visit site
But we're always advised that layering is better than one thick rug? I've heard pros say (not that they know everything) that they prefer to layer rugs rather than have one heavy one. It also makes it easier to adjust the rugs if the temperature changes. I agree there is a limit to the amount you can put on before it becomes uncomfrotable but i have got one of mine in 3 rugs at the mo because he wasn't warm enough in 2

I think this is the better option with rugs myself, it is pretty obvious if you think about it as the warm air gets trapped between layers. Many of us will go to the yard wearing loads of layers as it is warmer than 1 thick layer.