Why do people avoid Alfalfa ? Esp Barefoot people ?

Beatrice5

Visit site
So after what seems like hours reading old threads and posts and looking at web sites etc / blogs etc I decided to go with Simple systems Lucie Stalks, Metaslim and purabeet.

I am now worried I have made a bum choice as after yet more reading Alfalfa seems to be the big " NO NO " with any horse including Laminitics.

Also Meta slim contains Epsom salts which again I didn't realise and now having read up on it for humans and horses it would appear quite caustic and used for cleaning out wounds and purging the system ? Also can cause Liver toxicity if fed for longer than 10 days ? So maybe not such a good idea for a laminitic who is already compromised :(

So it would appear yet another costly mistake in my battle to mend the poorly one.

Does anyone have any reasoning as to why Alfalfa is such a baddie ?

dreamcometrue

Visit site
Some horses react badly to alfalfa and it can cause intense itchiness. This happened to my gelding and it cleared up as soon as I stopped feeding alfalfa.

Mike007

Visit site
It all depends on who is trying to sell you what!40 years in the feed industry and I dont trust anyone. I check and examine unbiased research|(which seldom comes from America!). Alfalfa is great stuff, low in simple sugars , high in digestible fibre . To be honest ,the greatest problem in equine nutrition is that the average horse owner has no idea what constitutes good hay!They buy crap and then have to substitute with concentrates (and so the problem starts). Their horse starts coughing and so they put him on haylage(and the problems get worse!). I sell my customers good hay and have to warn them to cut down or cut out hard feed!Its not rocket science feeding a horse.

AngieandBen

Visit site
Both my barefoot ponies are on Lucie Nuts and Alfalfa Oil with magnesium, linseed and salst added. I don't have a problem with either itching or footiness, they are out on good grazing now ( restricted from April to October ).

Infact they are better than they have ever been, loads of energy, great weight and fab coats, they are 20 and 22 years old :)

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Alfalfa has been linked to itching, footyness and photosensitivity. So if your horse suffers from any of those, it's worth removing alfalfa from the diet to see if it helps.

Cragrat

Visit site
I removed alfalfa and all three of mine grew better hooves, and were less footy. Nothing else changed.

I do know that some feed it with no problems. Seems to depend on the horse.

nikkimariet

Visit site
It sends mine loopy. My sisters boy happily munches a scoop full plus a day with no effects.

Had no adverse effects on their feet though.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Alfalfa does makes some horses itchy .
However its a good fibre rich source of protein fibre and calcium ( which is why the vets recommend it for ulcer prone horses ) but it's a food for horses in hard work because it's energy rich .
My horses when BF appear to be unaffected by it .

ellie11987

Visit site
I started feeding alfalfa as it looked good on paper - low starch/sugar, high in fibre and good for ulcer prone horses. But she went very footsore on it unfortunately. I'd avoid if you have a sensitive/lami-prone ect horse. I wouldn't bother with SS - a lot of it is alfalfa based and very overpriced for what it is IMO.

AngieandBen

Visit site
I started feeding alfalfa as it looked good on paper - low starch/sugar, high in fibre and good for ulcer prone horses. But she went very footsore on it unfortunately. I'd avoid if you have a sensitive/lami-prone ect horse. I wouldn't bother with SS - a lot of it is alfalfa based and very overpriced for what it is IMO.

SS Is not overpriced for what it is; A bag of shop bought chaff is expensive especially when its half straw!

One bag of Lucie Nuts, at around £12 for 20k lasts my two about two months, they only need enough to mix in with supplements as most good doers do.

ellie11987

Visit site
SS Is not overpriced for what it is; A bag of shop bought chaff is expensive especially when its half straw!

One bag of Lucie Nuts, at around £12 for 20k lasts my two about two months, they only need enough to mix in with supplements as most good doers do.

I don't necessarily disagree that it works out cheap to feed if you have a good dooer (if not it works out a hell of a lot more!) but there are cheaper, more accessible alternatives IMO. A girl on my yard feeds the SS grass nuts and SS linseed. She pays £14 and £35 respectively. I pay £8 for my northen crop grass nuts and £23 for my linseed for the same size bags.

LucyPriory

Visit site
I don't necessarily disagree that it works out cheap to feed if you have a good dooer (if not it works out a hell of a lot more!) but there are cheaper, more accessible alternatives IMO. A girl on my yard feeds the SS grass nuts and SS linseed. She pays £14 and £35 respectively. I pay £8 for my northen crop grass nuts and £23 for my linseed for the same size bags.

And it's not a case of alfalfa or straw chaff either there are lots of alternatives which are much better for a horse.

And I agree re SS pricing. The linseed is from Charnwood Milling. It is much cheaper to either buy direct from Charnwood, or if you are lucky your local feed shop might have it. You should never pay more than £1/kg for micronised linseed at today's prices. You can also get the linseed delivered by GJ Titmuss if you are in their area.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I've always fed alfalfa in some form or another, never had a horse react badly to it, but then I've fed molasses chaff sand never had an issue either so maybe just lucky that way.

My barefoot , cereal intolerant oldie thrives on alfalfa and if I find he's losing weight he gets a bucket of mixed alfalfa and sugar beet in his stable along with good hay to nibble on over night or alfalfa nuts in his treat ball depending on how he's doing :)