Why do people do it?

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Why is it that some people can give it all the talk, say they've worked for top event riders, backed and broken in their own youngsters. Bought and sold horses etc
but when you see them ride it's blatently obvious that they are liars and actually can't ride for toffee???

Then they buy their own horse, and it's even more obvious that they don't particularly know how to look after one very well either...
yet still continue to walk around the yard giving everyone advice and even giving people lessons!!!!

R2R

Visit site
Becasue in this industry, everyone is an expert.

The true experts, however, are those who keep their mouths shut and have learnt noone ever listens anyway becasue they all think they are experts!

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
I don't know but this post feels like de ja vue... lol Did you post this the other day?

Also back on topic, anyone who acts like that will get their comeuppance... And you get those know it alls everywhere.
xx

PinkFairy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know but this post feels like de ja vue... lol Did you post this the other day?

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt that too
blush.gif
grin.gif

There's always one (or two!) on every yard, oblivious to their own ignorance.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
yes I did post this the other day but it was removed by admin as the title was not appropriate
frown.gif

just wondered if anyone else had any more funny stories!!

A girl at my yard told me she had worked at a very well known stud. I was suitably impressed, then I found out she had only worked there for 1 day then was sacked!!

PinkFairy

Visit site
Yep, a rider from a yard I worked on told everyone how she'd ridden the biggest and most naughty of horses, terrible spookers, nappy and known rearers etc.. She got on a 14.2hh and clearly had no idea what to do. Hands to her belly, feet turned right out, slouching etc etc...It all came out later that she'd no experience.

People like this risk not only their neck, but the horse's neck too.

Koda

Visit site
There are a few of these at my yard. The funniest is when you hear them all having a conversation together. The one-uppers all trying to on-up each other.
#1:"I am very experienced with horses because I had my first horse at 11 and then worked in a stud for a year."
#2: "I am wonderful because I had my first horse at 3 and then worked in a stud for 10 years"
#3: "I am the most experienced because I am actually part horse on my mum's side of the family."
They all then go off for a ride together and all fall off.
*rolls eyes and shakes head*
Empty vessels make the most noise in our yard!

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
Yes (Long one)

I met a girl in a pub (I was behind the bar she had come in with a local). She mouthed off to anyone that would listen about how she owned five horses, and had been to HOYS and worked for the Underwoods etc, riding their horses and schooling for them. Well, I got talking about horses with her (she hadn't realised that I owned horses too) and soon realised she knew less than she made out.

I invited her to come over and ride, and she did. It was obvious immediately that she ws clueless. She couldn't put a saddle or bridle on correctly, and was even too nervous to lead my 15yo schoolmaster out to he sandschool. Then she got on, and panicked when I let go of the reins! She asked if I would put a lunge line on him, but I said he didn't need it, and told her to just circle around me. She was so nervous and stiff as a board I thought she was going to bounce right off! After about half an hour of bouncing and saying "I thought this was a schoolmaster" I got her off, got on myself and proceeded to show her his 'moves'.

She helped untack, but wouldn't lead him back to the field, saying she was worried he would take off with her (plodding along on end of leadrope). I offered her some lessons (don't know why) but she made an excuse everytime the date we had arranged came round; too windy/too wet/too eerily calm etc - some of the excuses!

I found out that she owned one pony that she had turned form saint into nervous wreck and would no longer ride. Said pony ended up at a very dodgey dealer, who I believe had to send her for meat as she had become so nervy and dangerous. She used to rent a stable from a distant relation of Pearl and Michael Underwood, and therefore claimed to be friends and ride for them?!?

Anyway, we fell out of contact, and I recently heard from a friend she had opened her own livery yard (rented yard) and was advertising herself as taking on nervous horses and reschooling them. She also took a horse on loan with view to buy, but has apparently made that really nervy, and the owner has decided to take her back.

I don't know if this girl honestly believes she can do it, or whether she knows she can't but wants to impress others? Its a mystery to all that know her, but one things certain; she will either hurt herself or a horse.

monkeybum13

Visit site
There's always one (but not at our new yard
tongue.gif
)
Previous yard there was that said she'd done this and that, worked for lots of people and she was no more knowledgable than anyone else. When you came back from a competition it was always "I did this and that and xxx competition" and it would drive you mad!!!

izz101

Visit site
there is loads of people on the yard that i keep my horses on they think that they are the best at riding on the yard and the hardly ride some do and some dont but there is realy nice people to

M_G

Visit site
As I have learnt on yards over the years those who shout the loudest know the least.... Its the quiet ones that rarely offer advice that actually know just about everything

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
Literally nobody new can walk onto the yard without this girl leaping on them and offering to give them lessons etc.
The other day someone came to use the school and within 5 mins she was in there 'teaching' them. The next thing she was on their horse 'schooling' it for them.....then she fell off!!!
Apparently it tripped!

Ani

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

but when you see them ride it's blatently obvious that they are liars and actually can't ride for toffee???

Then they buy their own horse, and it's even more obvious that they don't particularly know how to look after one very well either...

[/ QUOTE ]

So who's the expert who judges whether they can ride or look after a horse/ Lol
grin.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
Haha Seahorse I know a few people like this.....say they do this and that and then when they get on certain horses poo themselves.....

I haven't got a clue half the time and I accept that!

moodymare1987

Visit site
I got told by this man he had competed at Badminton Horse Trials, I never laughed so much in my life.
He also said he worked in the circus with the tigers, maybe he had just was so full of himself.
I get told allsorts but half of it goes straight over my head.

PennyJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
As I have learnt on yards over the years those who shout the loudest know the least.... Its the quiet ones that rarely offer advice that actually know just about everything

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sooo true. And if you're really lucky and prepared to admit that the more you learn, the more you realise you know hardly anything, those quiet wise people may share some of their knowledge with you. I have such a friend and I am staggered by how little I really know. Equally we can have a debate about some things, he is "old school" and doesn't necessarily agree with me on for example annual dentals , regular back checks and things, but we agree to disagree. However even he had to acknowledge the effect the McTimoney lady had on my lame pony (I knew it would work, but he thought I was wasting my money) when he was sound again after her visit. I'm not holding my breath waiting for him to start using her on his own horses though LOL. I consider myself truly lucky that he is prepared to share some of his lifetime of equine knowledge with me.

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
I think that's it's true the older you get the more you realise you hardly know anything, when I was younger I was probably a pain in the backside, I really thought I knew everything there was to know about horses. One lady I worked for described me as 'bumptious' I looked it up in the dictionary and it means offensively arrogant
blush.gif
blush.gif

which was probably a pretty accurate description of me unfortunately!!
I'm sure I never actually lied about anything though.

rascal

Visit site
We had on of these sharing our pony, mother told tails of days spent with horses, done this, done that, her daughter had been having lessons for two years at the best riding school but was bored (that should have rung the alarm bells!!!) so they wanted a pony for her to ride. Quickly became obvious mother was no where near as experienced as SHE thought she was!! Didnt know how to tack up, change rugs, nothing. No common sense either! Used a door that was partly glass to make a ramp up the muck heap. Tied pony up by his bit ring, till i caught her. The daughter was a know it all too, but couldnt ride for toffee if she had had two years of lessons where they said she did im a china man! They kept putting pony out on the big field when he should have been in his paddock, everytime we said something they had an excuse ready, "oh its only 5 mins" was the favorite. The mothers atitude got them chucked off the yard. Now they have bought a TB apparently, i hope the poor thing is some kind of saint with a cast iron constitution!!