Why do people do it?!

tangoharvey

Visit site
Breed horses only to neglect them? I was busy cleaning my new fillys sores (from having been left in a head collar too small) and it got me thinking, here is a super 2 year old filly, who clearly has had a rubbish start to life. Why breed a big horse, or any size for that matter, if you dont have firm plans as to what you are going to do with the offspring! From what I can gather, this filly was bred and then sent to the sales where she must have been meat money judging on what I paid for her. It will be fine, the sores will heal, she's learning to trust me, but it does make my blood boil to think what a rubbish start to life she's had, as do many other horses, sad eh?

Last edited:

Arizahn

Visit site
I honestly don't know. I can understand having a change in circumstances, but not the sort of neglect that you mention. Best of luck with her :)

millikins

Visit site
It does beggar belief doesn't it? There's a post on FB just now somebody has taken on 3 abandoned youngsters, again big, decent quality animals. Good luck with your filly, good that she's landed on her feet.

thatsmygirl

Visit site
It's hard because they breed, then somebody feels sorry for them and buys them so the owners are making out of it. There's somebody near me who is a nightmare and has fields full of horses just breeding with no care at all. Iv been given one as I loved her and kept on at the owners but not sure I would have brought her to line the owners pockets but it is nice knowing you can change that one horses life, its a feel good :)

tangoharvey

Visit site
Yes it does feel good making their lives better. This filly is so trusting despite her fear of humans, she hasn't put her ears back once and now she's over the initial fear of being touched, quite likes being groomed and itched in all sorts if places. I will give her stability now, and even if she ends up too forward for me I will only ever loan her out on my current yard under my watchful eye. I just feel sorry for the ones who are not so lucky.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Why do people do it? Because they see £££ signs in front of their eyes, that's why. But they are too stupid to realise that there are expenses involved in breeding animals.

Equi

Visit site
Cause where there is unregulated breeding, there is money. It doesn't cost anything to run a stallion with a mare if they are just chucked out and left to it on a plot of land you own - no vet fees cause nature will decide, and who cares if they live or die. Someone will always come along and buy the foal for any money you ask because they feel sorry for it. Unfortunately it is the good people who make the market for them. Until people stop buying them, they will be bred.

asmp

Visit site
The above posts say it's all about money but there can't be much money in it. I saw a youngster for £100 on a local site only this morning and our 3 year old cost only £550. When you factor in micro chipping, feed, farrier, etc, surely there's no profit to be made?

pennyturner

Visit site
My boy cost 36 guineas as a foal at Beaulieu Road. Hard to see how there was any profit to be made (except by the lovely meat man, who saw me looking to bid, and tipped me the wink that he wouldn't bid against me).

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
The above posts say it's all about money but there can't be much money in it. I saw a youngster for £100 on a local site only this morning and our 3 year old cost only £550. When you factor in micro chipping, feed, farrier, etc, surely there's no profit to be made?

The point is those things won't be factored in, or done. The sale price is pure profit. As Equi points out, the breeding also costs nothing. So even a 20 pounds sale price could be seem to be worth it to those who do it.

Last edited: