Why do people have to make you feel guilty..

chocolategirl

Visit site
Ok so I keep my horses cheaply, they live out 24/7. They see the farrier, vet, dentist as needed and I use a physio and saddle fitter several times a year. I occasionally buy nice stuff I like such as the odd matchy set but generally their stuff is basic and often 2nd hand. I commented the other day on a FB post and got a reply that has, probably irrationally, got me down and upset me a bit. I'm usually pretty thick skinned but I commented that I used Thorowgood T4 saddles for my 2 horses as they were inexpensive, adjustable and lightweight. I got shot down saying that these were not good reasons for buying sh*t stuff and that if I couldn't afford to purchase "proper" tack that I shouldn't keep horses. !! I use these saddles as I can't afford to keep replacing saddles for the younger horse, though if he needed a different type he would get one. I struggle with my Fibromyalgia to lift leather saddles these days and the synthetic are easier to clean.
Saddle fitter is happy with the saddles and their fit and we adjust the gullet etc as needed.
But now I'm questioning everything I buy and feeling bad.
Is it just me or do some people just really sick the fun out of everything..???
Frankly I’d much rather hear of horses being kept like yours than those that are caged 23 or 24 hours a day! Wonder how many of those criticising you are willing to imprison their horses routinely and think nothing if it? Like others have said, it doesn’t matter what make or model your stuff is, as long as you’re confident it fits correctly, that’s the ONLY important factor in this scenario ?‍♀️

Leandy

Visit site
What an uncalled for comment! Don't give it another thought. Yes some people are just miserable and want to criticise. I wonder whether this person would think it appropriate to say that to your face. Your set up sounds absolutely fine. Being thrifty used to be seen as a virtue. Not sure why anyone would think it wasn't. Your horses don't know or care what things cost or what is in fashion. They just want a comfortable suitable life. I have the means to buy all sorts of expensive stuff for my horses but I don't because I refuse to succumb to the marketing tactics for the latest gadget or whatever when good basic equipment and good training are much more important. I buy what the horses need and baulk at the bonkers prices of many high end equestrian products when there are perfectly good (or better) cheaper but less fashionable alternatives.

F&B

Visit site
My baby highland will be backed next year, and my saddler has recommended a T4 for him. Also I went to a majority highland trekking centre/stud and they use Thorowgoods on all of theirs and recommend them for the breed. Very comfy and happy ponies.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
If there is one thing I have learned over the years, it is that there is NO correlation between the cost of the gear and the competence of the owner or welfare of the horse. Take no notice of online trolls.

I couldn't have put it better myself! I do feel there is an increasing number of people who think this is not the case and who believe that expensive gear = good care, but it is not so.

Please try not to take it to heart. Take a moment to look at your horse and I am sure you will see how happy they are. :)

Sossigpoker

Visit site
No one can make you feel anything. You decide how you respond or feel or react. Yes people can be bitchy and unkind , but the beauty of communicating online is ghat it is so easy to scroll past or block those.
If you're getting triggered by a comment about tack then this is down to something you feel inside. Yes the horsey world is full of snobs and other a-holes , but if a comment about your tack upsets you so much , perhaps it is something in you that's causing it?

Having said that, as long as the tack fits and doesn't cause any problems, it doesn't matter what you use.
Synthetic tack is great choice for horses quickly changing shape or where finances are limited. I don't like them as i prefer the feel of a sturdy tree and quality English leather, but I dont judge people who use those,.as long as the saddle fits.

You've got nothing to feel guilty about, so ignore those comments and enjoy your horse.

I used to be thin skinned and wish it hadn't taken my to get to my 40s before o was confident enough to not give any attention to those who don't deserve it.

Roxylola

Visit site
In fairness, if I saw someone advocating "get a xxxx saddle, they're lightweight adjustable and cheap" I might jump in, obviously as you say in your case the saddler has checked and is happy with fit all round.
However, too many people buy adjustable saddles and one of those measuring tools and think that the correct head plate on there means the saddle fits.
Nobody should be making anyone feel bad for their budget as long as their kit is fit for purpose. You've made sure yours was so it's none of their biz beyond that and they should wind their necks in. Its very clear from your posts on here that you do your very best for your neds. But perhaps (hopefully) the initial comment might have been unnecessary in your case they may have been coming from a place of genuine concern.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I have a thorowgood for H, I think it's the t4 too (the one with suede on the seat)

I've had it for several years, and barely clean it, I'm not a fan of saddle cleaning so it does me a favour! It's also lightweight and about £1000 cheaper than a moderate brand leather saddle.

I'd love a Bates but I do not have the £££'s required for one, plus I'd actually have to clean it.

Also, "all" I do is hack, so I don't need a designer saddle

Apizz2019

Visit site
The equine community can, at times, be the worst thing to be a part of.

Ignore and don't let it bother you.

Your ponies are happy, you're happy, you provide for them and tend to their needs.

Who is anyone to judge whether you have a £200 or £5000 saddle?

Dare I say, you could easily have a £5k saddle which doesn't fit.....what something costs doesn't count for anything.

Chin up!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Opinions are like a** holes, everybodies got one and they usually stink.

^^^ Very true!!

Seriously OP, a lot of us are on a budget and there's nothing to be ashamed of in that!!

I know someone who is dead keen on the WOW saddles and believes everyone (including me!) should have one....... but I know darn well that they are waaayy out of my budget. Yes it is easy to feel inadequate - I'm just a happy hacker and don't compete - and that is my choice, and I refuse to feel inadequate or the "poor relation" because of it. I lob around - bitless treeless and barefoot - on my little coblet who I produced myself, and am happy as Larry!

I buy my clothes from charity shops and cannot remember the last thing I bought new!! I know that if I did buy new then I certainly couldn't afford my equine activities!! End of! And I'm not ashamed of that!

I feel you should not dwell on the negative thing that was said; rather I would encourage you to consider how well you've done and how far you've come - and to congratulate yourself on your thriftiness!! Perhaps for this New Year, may I gently suggest that you set yourself a little (achievable) equine goal - maybe try a different discipline, or perhaps that clinic you've always wanted to go to - and use that to build yourself up and encourage yourself so that you can feel good about yourself??

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ignore! It sounds to me like your horses are very well cared for.
Money and swanky stuff imo often doesn’t actually equate better care.
I wonder which horse is healthier and happier. The one that lives out, has cheaper but light and fitted tack or the horse that lives on a super expensive yard (stood in with no turnout) wearing the very best dressage saddle that weighs a ton and pinches (but looks beautiful!)
People are prats!

Boots*McGruber

Visit site
One of my favourite things is when people with lots of money criticise the decisions the rest of us mere mortals make. A lady at my yard commented the other day that my horse “doesn’t know who you are.” I’d been away for ten days with work prior to this. I’d love to be able to see him every day but I have to work for a living and my line of work sometimes takes me away from home, especially at this time of year when its very busy. My horse is well cared for on full livery + excercise and I trust the YOs with his welfare. Some people don’t know how lucky they are! So ignore them. If your horse is comfortable in the saddle that’s all that matters.

Elno

Visit site
I bought a new horse recently since I had to retire my old WB with arthritis . A rising 4 year old norwegian Dølehest (norwegian trotter who was too slow and unmotivated for the racing track so is to become a riding horse instead). He has a pretty easy to fit back and several saddles fit him when I had the fitter out, including some very expensive ones (a new Albion adjusta was one of them) . You know what I chose? A Thorowgood t8 jump. ? My all time favourite! It's not about the money. It's about fit for both the rider and horse - and Thorowgood makes amazing saddles in my humble opinion.

Ratface

Visit site
Elno, I quite agree re Thorowgood saddles being excellent. I have ridden in them in the past and found them safe and comfortable. Their adjustable gullets are suitable for a wide range of horses and ponies.
I would have no difficulty in recommending them as an option.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I know this is a Zombie thread but I missed it at the time...

I think expensive saddles are a bit of thing at the moment. The equestrian scene has phases where certain things become seen to be given more importance than perhaps need be.

A friend of mine who is wealthy has a beautiful handcrafted saddle I don't have a beautiful hand crafted saddle. She has a dressage horse, I have a native pony.

We both enjoy our horses despite our different budgets. She never makes me feel bad that I can't afford the same sort of tack that she has.

I have come across some people who have made me feel bad for not having the most hi tec gear or spending money on alternative therapies. I have seen several people spend over 10k on various expensive saddles and saddle fittings to try and find the perfect saddles with constant adjustments who move from one supplier to the next.

Spending more money will not guarantee a happier healthier horse. Spending less money doesn't mean your horse is not happy or healthy. There is a lot of luck involved with horse ownership as well as skill it does not just come down to money.

Designer tack I expect is somewhat like designer clothes part of the cost is for the brand, then the quality of materials and then having the design fitted and templated to the horse and being able to add bespoke extras such as bling.

The cheaper saddles don't have the same design features but can still be fit for purpose.

Expensive and cheap saddles can both have the same fitting problems.

They can indeed. What I will say is that if you have a small budget you may well find a great fit, but you have fewer options, and may just have to wait a while if a new cheaper saddle doesn't fit. Owners of natives etc who've tried Wintec and TG, and maybe others too, and get upset that the saddle that does fit is more than their pony costs - I gently point out that sport horses have "space for a saddle" bred into them by definition, cobs and natives less so, and so finding the right saddle can be trickier. A higher budget makes things easier, or quicker, in many cases.

I do find a lot of people who thought their TG/Wintec/K&M was super comfortable change their mind with the right leather saddle, but it's still very individual (though can't remember the last person I worked with who still said any of those were more comfortable).

Having a small budget is never a problem if your horse is happy and healthy. Clearly however some people with overall tiny budgets for their horses do take harmful short cuts.

The bullying the OP got is completely ridiculous and wrong. Full stop.

In fairness, if I saw someone advocating "get a xxxx saddle, they're lightweight adjustable and cheap" I might jump in, obviously as you say in your case the saddler has checked and is happy with fit all round.
However, too many people buy adjustable saddles and one of those measuring tools and think that the correct head plate on there means the saddle fits.

100% - if a saddle fits, it fits. But a changeable headplate changes only one tiny aspect of how a saddle fits - you can't change tree shape or panel shape so even IF it fits your horse now, there's no guarantee it will continue to do so.

Birker2020

Visit site
There's some spiteful people about, they are jealous. I've lost someone who was helping me with my horse due to people sticking their nose in and running to this person saying things I've said which are nothing nasty in the least, just stating facts. It's horrible because I don't know who it is. I don't trust anyone anymore which is a shame.

Some people just can't bare to see others happy and they like to cause upset or drama. Just ignore them, it says more about them than it does you. Rise above it. I have. Sorry you have to contend with such idiots.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I had Martin Wilkinson fit my saddle when new+he’s a Master Saddler, not cheap, but I figured the saddle is the most important thing you buy, really. He couldn’t re-fit the Cardenal (sp) I originally bought 2nd hand, the horse lost weight over winter. I had the saddle re-fitted annually, re-flocked as necessary. I wasn’t brave enough to get a hanger to risk saddle fitting!

Elno

Visit site
do find a lot of people who thought their TG/Wintec/K&M was super comfortable change their mind with the right leather saddle, but it's still very individual (though can't remember the last person I worked with who still said any of those were

I have owned and ridden in several expensive (Albion, Amerigo, Antares etc) leather saddles, and I still think TG's t8 jump is extremely comfortable, even in comparison to some of the more "posh" brands ??‍♀️