Why do people want to own cobs?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
For anyone out there saying 'you probably stick to cobs because you can't handle a tb or wb' 'their just fat, lazy and fluffy' I'm convinced they've never ridden a cob, they are so much stronger then bigger horses I swear! Why do you think gypsy's bread them like that! To be strong!
Lol thank you and enjoy. Very welcome to look for one for me 15hh+ ;)

Get off my thread, cob-loving heathens. :mad:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I wonder if she has now found the ultimate mystical answer to her original question - why do people want to own cobs? Maybe she now has divine insight and knows why cobs are cobs. Hopefully they are attending to her every need in the afterlife as slaves of the immortal Shils 😅
Hope she’s looking after mine! No one better for the job

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
It's a brilliant thread, and also what I think of when I see her username. I never had much interaction with Shils, but she definitely made a difference to my life in that she put a smile on my face during difficult days with her posts on here. Like another poster has said, it's funny that people never know their reach, and often it only is really seen once they have passed. It's terribly sad, but I'm sure she's up there chatting about us with the forums' cobs and other four legged friends!

Annagain

Visit site
I've just re-read the first few pages and the number of people who thought this was serious and were monumentally offended and argumentative is hilarious. I seem to remember a few dotted through the thread as well. She kept us entertained for 13 years and counting with this. There's also a few names I haven't see for a long time. Ahh the past.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I love this thread. Shils will be soo missed.

There are many cobs at my current yard, and they're all fat, hairy, and nosey. YO owns them all, and honestly, it should've been a red flag and I probably should've turned around and drove back down the drive when I saw the first one. My poor youngster is probably not going to turn out right because he lives in a field with mostly cobs. Doomed.

albeg

Visit site

There are many cobs at my current yard, and they're all fat, hairy, and nosey. YO owns them all, and honestly, it should've been a red flag and I probably should've turned around and drove back down the drive when I saw the first one. My poor youngster is probably not going to turn out right because he lives in a field with mostly cobs. Doomed.
And that's assuming he doesn't get mistaken for food or trampled by dinner plate feet...

SEL

Visit site

He'll learn how to eat well that's for certain. A good cob has a good appetite 😋

SilverLinings

Visit site
One of the best threads ever from what I am sure will be a greatly missed lady.

It’s not going to convince me to buy a cob in her memory though 😆
Maybe we should all use one of those animal sanctuary animal adoption programmes and adopt a cob in Shils' name? I'm sure she'd really appreciate the irony such a kind and thoughtful gesture... 🤣

meggymoo

Visit site
I've just re-read the first few pages and the number of people who thought this was serious and were monumentally offended and argumentative is hilarious. I seem to remember a few dotted through the thread as well. She kept us entertained for 13 years and counting with this. There's also a few names I haven't see for a long time. Ahh the past.
I too have been rereading this from the beginning. I’ve got up to about post #1200 or thereabouts. Obviously too much time on my hands. Even after so many posts pointing out it was tongue in cheek, still there was such offence. And in spouting their vitriol, posters were doing exactly the same as what they were complaining about.
Reading some of the comments from 2010, I do wonder if that had been today it would have been yet another of those all too common threads that magically disappear over night.
Yes, so many names from the past, many that perhaps have just gone on to other things and a couple of others that iirc are sadly no longer with us.
I wonder if 13 years is the longest running thread ever.

Surbie

Visit site
I love this thread.

I hacked out with a friend last night, trundling along behind their fancy warmblood. Fancy WB spooked at a leaf, reared over a puddle, decked its rider under the motorway bridge and attempted to leg it. Cobbus made a half-hearted attempt at legging it, realised there was free food in the verges and stopped. I used his enormous bottom to stop the WB going past. WB also knows a cob is fantastic at finding food & stayed with him while its rider got up off the floor. Useful hairy beastie!

RIP Shils.

Last edited: