Why do so many feed Fast Fibre

soulfull

Visit site
Just pondering but please remember my memory is bad when you read this, so not sure if I am remembering right or was even right at the time :eek:

when it first came out my friend started feeding it I am sure when I looked at the bag is had an awful lot of 'beet' in it, at the time it seemed and expensive way to feed it ?????

Oberon

Visit site
I feed it as it fits in well with my forage analysis and it's sloppy for my old boy to eat safely.

Plus it soaks quickly (5 mins).

It there were more easily available unmolassed hay/straw chaffs, I would be happier.

As it is - if you can't feed molassed or alfalfa - you're choices are limited :(

Holly Hocks

Visit site
I have been feeding it to mine as it's low sugar/starch and is good to fill them up without putting too much weight on. My little New Forest X will eat it no problem, but my mare started getting fussy, so I've been mixing it with Rowan Barbary Solutions Mash which is going down well.
I think Fast Fibre is really good as a non-heating high fibre feed, but not sure how palatable it is long term.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Awesome marketing :D

It soaks in about as much time as it takes to brew a fart and smells awesome! It has some linseed in it and soya but it's just a mix of stuff at low amounts and most of it is finely ground straw! Although amazingly high in sugars!!!! 8%!!!

I bought it when it first came out but worked out it's an expensive way of feeding speedibeet & hay :)

soulfull

Visit site
Awesome marketing :D

It soaks in about as much time as it takes to brew a fart and smells awesome! It has some linseed in it and soya but it's just a mix of stuff at low amounts and most of it is finely ground straw! Although amazingly high in sugars!!!! 8%!!!

I bought it when it first came out but worked out it's an expensive way of feeding speedibeet & hay :)

haha so I am not wrong then :D that is exactly what I thought. I didn't know it was 8% sugar tho:eek::eek:. I thought I might be missing something as so many especially BF people are feeding it

For forage in his 'feed' I feed top spec lite chaff not sure if there is something I need to know about this one though?????

tallyho!

Visit site
haha so I am not wrong then :D that is exactly what I thought. I didn't know it was 8% sugar tho:eek::eek:. I thought I might be missing something as so many especially BF people are feeding it

For forage in his 'feed' I feed top spec lite chaff not sure if there is something I need to know about this one though?????

The starch is 5% and sugar is 2.9% = 7.9% sugars (I rounded up :)). My horses are BF and I do not feed it because of that - as one is a lami-prone too so I guess that makes it higher than the 5% MAX I am looking for in feed. Lots of BF people feed it, but I guess they are not as sensitive to sugar as mine is bless him. Maybe at higher levels e.g. 12% and above.

He gets soaked lucie nuts (also suppose to be bad for footiness) and chaff with his Mg & Cu and yummy linseed.

Oberon

Visit site
Oil - 2.5 percent
Protein - 8.5 percent
Fibre - 27.0 percent
Estimate DE - 8.0Mj/kg
Starch - 5.0 percent
Calcium - 1.1 percent
Vit A - 10,000IU/kg
Vit D - 1,500 IU/kg
Vit E - 100 IU/kg

Ingredients -

(min 40 percent) cereal straw (treated), (10-25 percent) unmolassed beet, (less than 10 percent) oat fibre, expelled linseed, grass meal, Di-calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, expelled soya oil, sodium chloride, natural vitamins, vitamins and minerals, mint, herbs, garlic.

vits and mins are : Vit A, D3, E, copper, selenium, K, Folic acid, nicotinic acid, pantothenic acid, B1, B2, B6, B12, biotin, iodine, cobalt, iron, manganese, zinc, potassium, sodium, calcium, phosphorous.

tallyho!

Visit site
Oil - 2.5 percent
Protein - 8.5 percent
Fibre - 27.0 percent
Estimate DE - 8.0Mj/kg
Starch - 5.0 percent
Calcium - 1.1 percent
Vit A - 10,000IU/kg
Vit D - 1,500 IU/kg
Vit E - 100 IU/kg

Ingredients -

(min 40 percent) cereal straw (treated), (10-25 percent) unmolassed beet, (less than 10 percent) oat fibre, expelled linseed, grass meal, Di-calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, expelled soya oil, sodium chloride, natural vitamins, vitamins and minerals, mint, herbs, garlic.

vits and mins are : Vit A, D3, E, copper, selenium, K, Folic acid, nicotinic acid, pantothenic acid, B1, B2, B6, B12, biotin, iodine, cobalt, iron, manganese, zinc, potassium, sodium, calcium, phosphorous.

Basically sweepings off the floor then :D

Oberon

Visit site
Basically sweepings off the floor then :D

lol.gif

katie_southwest

Visit site
Starch IS sugar.

So should they not include this in their 'total sugars' percentage???

Misleading if you dont really know what your on about (ie me :) )
Thank god I have such a fatty that apart from a literal handful of chaff to mix her moody mare supplement in she doesnt need anything else !!!

soulfull

Visit site
cereal straw (treated) but treated with what?? :D

Sorry I am trying to work out my lads BF diet and not sure where to go next, as I said he currently has Top spec lite chaff

linseed meal (which he is not keen on)
cal mag
hand full of high fibre cubes, (spillers, but now told there is a better one?)
speedi beet
codlivine vit supp

Is there something else I should feed too??

thatsmygirl

Visit site
I feed my good doers Allen and page L mix again which forms a mash and is cereal/molasses free and is 2.75% starch no added sugar and my horses love it. Found it far less sugar than fast fibre but does contain some alfa. It looks like rabbit mix in soaked

tallyho!

Visit site
cereal straw (treated) but treated with what?? :D

Sorry I am trying to work out my lads BF diet and not sure where to go next, as I said he currently has Top spec lite chaff

linseed meal (which he is not keen on)
cal mag
hand full of high fibre cubes, (spillers, but now told there is a better one?)
speedi beet
codlivine vit supp

Is there something else I should feed too??

I'm not sure either Soulfull - have you found out what he actually needs in his diet? Codlivine supplement already has magnesium in it.

Speedibeet & HI-fi should be enough with your linseed & Mg. I'm against supplements unless you know what you're topping up.

soulfull

Visit site
I'm not sure either Soulfull - have you found out what he actually needs in his diet? Codlivine supplement already has magnesium in it.

Speedibeet & HI-fi should be enough with your linseed & Mg. I'm against supplements unless you know what you're topping up.

Thank you! not yet had forage tested as I was waiting to make sure we are staying in the same field as there have been some changes at the yard. I am having the haylage done this week though (again there have been changes so had to wait.)
I added the cal mag as didn't know if there was enough in the codlivine? and as it can't harm them, and he is on box rest I thought it wouldn't hurt:D

tallyho!

Visit site
I understand. Mg is good for connective tissue and seems to be good for bf. There is a lot of calcium in your diet and Mg and Ca compete for absorption and if there is not enough Phosphorous then they don't get absorbed hardly at all. Also, the linseed meal... it's just the hulls of the linseed itself - there is nothing in it but fibre. I would buy Micronized linseed from feedstore or Charnwood -high in protein & omega 3.

Last edited:

soulfull

Visit site
oops my mistake I did get the Micronized linseed from charnwood just got the name wrong :D
So I need to find out if he is getting enough Phosphorous.
Thank you for saying he is gorgeous :D he is rather special bless him. truly a horse of a lifetime for anyone lucky enough to have him :D

Thanks for you help

Supertrooper

Visit site
Cause our boy looks fantastic on it, he likes it and it gives him his vits/mins and we've always had very good customer service from Allen&Page xxx

Beatrice5

Visit site
Blimey I have been feeding it as was advised it was suitable for a fatty but now worried he is slightly cresty and footy on stony ground :( Could this be the fast fibre.....?

All he gets is handful ready grass to mop up excess liquid from small green scoop of fast fibre so it's not such a slop.

Apart from that he's on hay / straw mix smalled gauged nets and can pick at our very trashed paddock.

Thought I had it sussed and now worried again :(

touchstone

Visit site
I feed fast fibre as mine reacts to alfalfa and non mollassed beet, there is a marked difference in her feet since I stopped feeding either chaff or beet and fast fibre is easy to add additional supplements to if needed. It might be an 'expensive' way to feed straw and beet, but it works for mine and no vit/min supplement needed!'

rose bud

Visit site
Ahhhh, help!! I am totally confused now!! I am feeding fast fibre as I thought it was very low in starch, sugar and protein as I was looking for something high in fibre that I could add supplements to and they seem to love it!
Am I wrong? Is it actually high in sugar etc?? Help!

touchstone

Visit site
Ahhhh, help!! I am totally confused now!! I am feeding fast fibre as I thought it was very low in starch, sugar and protein as I was looking for something high in fibre that I could add supplements to and they seem to love it!
Am I wrong? Is it actually high in sugar etc?? Help!

No, don't panic it is low in starch and sugar, and providing stach and sugar combined are below about 10% you should be fine, it is certainly a feed that lots of barefooters and people with laminitics feed, and it only has a DE of 8mj
so pretty low calorie too.:)