Why do so many people think its fine to have fat horses?

JulesRules

Visit site
It is hard when you have good doers. I guess the difference is doing your best to keep them trim v thinking its okay.

Like @windand rain if mine looked like they do now in spring I would be more worried. My Highland is actually looking okay, but my furry polish mare is carrying more than I'd like. She doesn't get as much work as him though and she literally lives on fresh air. Come January if mine are looking plump it will be slimming world for them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200929-153328_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200929-153328_Gallery.jpg
    685.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20200929-153431_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200929-153431_Gallery.jpg
    577.9 KB · Views: 35

Winters100

Visit site
I agree that horses are generally more overweight than they used to be, it has become the norm and I find that quite sad. There are a few people on our yard who have said mine are on the skinny side, they are not at all, they are simply very fit and without big bellies (apart from my new one who will soon be in the same shape as the others).

However I also think that many people genuinely struggle with it. Keeping horses lean and fit is hard work, and it also takes time, which is a problem for some owners. I am lucky, I have time and resources that allow me to ride every day, and I mean hard training, not just hacking or trotting in circles for half an hour, and they also move in the afternoons, either hacking with me or lunged / carousel. But we must appreciate that not everyone can do this, I certainly was not able to in my younger years, and it takes even longer if they are off ridden work and need to be moved by hand, as OP is no doubt finding out since she says that 2 of hers are fat. Plus some breeds are particularly difficult in this regard, and if they are older and cannot have hard work it must be very difficult indeed.

I have to say that I would not dream of speaking to someone else on the yard in anything other than a polite manner, and only then if I knew them well enough to have good reason to expect that they would welcome some advice. I don't think that telling people that they are killing their horse helps, mainly because no one is then going to listen to any suggestions that you may have about their feeding / exercise regime, and frankly in their position neither would I. I am always willing to learn, but if someone spoke to me like that it would be the end of the conversation. There are many horses on our yard who I think are overfed and underworked, but let's face it they probably think that mine are overworked.

C24

Visit site
God knows. I think it’s often a case that people feel bullied into heavier rugs, giving feed, etc by other liveries/yard owners. They don’t want to be seen as neglecting their horse but don’t realise that their horses are getting fat which is just as bad for their health. Or people just get so used to seeing their horses every day that they don’t notice how much weight they’ve put on until they look at old photos or someone says something. Usually it’s then a case that they’re really quite fat and it feels like an endless battle - typically because they don’t reduce feed, hay or grass which takes us back to the first point of feeling like they’re neglecting them if they cut down the grass/hay/feed/treat supply.
There’s also the case of time - not everyone has the ability to be really strict on exercise. For a lot of people they just don’t have the time due to work, kids, etc to commit to 5-6 days a week of work to get their horse back to a healthy weight and really tone their horse up. It’s often easier to maintain it than to get them there, hence the feeling of an endless battle.

My horse has just came back off loan and is the size of a house. His loaner is heavily pregnant and had to make the decision to stop riding him quite early on due to him being very spooky. The only horse of hers which he’ll turn out with without trying to kill them is a TB mare who’s in her mid 20s. The mare needs good grass and he gets himself in a state if there’s even electric tape between them so he’s benefitted from the grass too. It’s meant that he’s had pretty much all summer off in the best field on the yard. He used to get his nets weighed but, due to pregnancy and pelvic pain, she had to start feeding him and her other 6 ad-lib hay into feeders. He’s been temporarily renamed WhaleZilla by myself. ?
Much to the disbelief of the other liveries, I’ve stripped him to literally a handful of Hi-Fi morning and evening (only because he’s unmanageable if my other pony gets something and he doesn’t). He gets his hay nets weighed, I’ve decided to keep his rugs a bit lighter than usual and hoping to keep him unclipped until December in hopes that he’ll shiver a bit of weight off. He’s got the biggest crest right now, he was cut late and always has a bigger crest than most even when he’s optimal weight but right now it’s just ridiculous - he’s got a neck like a bull. Just figuring out an exercise schedule that I can fit around the kids, I need to shift his weight - it’s embarrassing. ??‍♀️

Billyandme

Visit site
Just wondering if there is a connection between the equine obesity epidemic and the huge increase in rugging. Nowadays horses seem to be rugged practically all year round. Back in the day there were only the old fashioned canvas rugs which basically just kept the horse dry. Nowadays there is every rug from 0 to 400g.

Nasicus

Visit site
I recently met a mare that was retired due to navicular. When she arrived on the yard, we were all in disbelief at the size of her. Massive crest to the point where some people thought she was a stallion or a gelding cut very late. Huge fat pads all over. Looked like a sniff of molasses would cause it to founder. We assumed that the owner was aware and working on it, so we kept our thoughts to ourselves.

And then we saw the size of the feeds. And the stacks and stacks of hard feed in the feedroom. And the amount of haylage being fed. And the the lush turnout.

But of course, noone said anything to the owner, as it's not a polite thing to do. But you do have to wonder, at what point should we throw politeness out the window, and put animal welfare first?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I have to say that IF I could let The Beast get cold and leave her unruffled [edit: UNRUGGED but "unruffled" is funny] it would make my life a lot easier. Unfortunately getting cold and then tying up just sets the exercise right back so she ends up fatter in the long run!

Last edited:

emilylou

Visit site
I recently met a mare that was retired due to navicular. When she arrived on the yard, we were all in disbelief at the size of her. Massive crest to the point where some people thought she was a stallion or a gelding cut very late. Huge fat pads all over. Looked like a sniff of molasses would cause it to founder. We assumed that the owner was aware and working on it, so we kept our thoughts to ourselves.

And then we saw the size of the feeds. And the stacks and stacks of hard feed in the feedroom. And the amount of haylage being fed. And the the lush turnout.

But of course, noone said anything to the owner, as it's not a polite thing to do. But you do have to wonder, at what point should we throw politeness out the window, and put animal welfare first?

we have a mare like this at our yard. We did speak to the owner about it, in a polite way and pointed out how large she was and the risks of being that overweight. Nothing changed. Lush grazing, little work, massive feed and thick rugs. This summer the horse got really bad laminitis. I think she had mild laminitis for a while first but the owner was certain she was tripping because she had thrush. She has been lame since June. Has been on box rest since then as gets worse with even a short period of turnout. Is not comfortable without bute and has also being diagnosed with Cushings. She has now lost the weight but it’s too late. Vet is coming to X-ray feet next week and I think the outcome will be curtains.
But even when she was crippled with lami and couldn’t move two steps I caught the owner bringing up apples and carrots for her. That time I didn’t hold back and told her she was going to kill her. Some people just won’t see what is in front of them.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do think some vets need to be blunter too.
A couple of years back (at the time when his liver was screwy and he wasn't having magnesium) my vet made a comment about Frank's neck. It went totally over the top of my Mum's head with regards to what he was getting at (she's had ponies a lot of her life).
But they also need to make sure their advice will be taken on board and followed. I think some people would have taken the instruction that it was fine to have your cob out on a sandpit for 8 hours without forage as an indicator of how serious the situation is. But the alternative is that of someone who is well versed in ulcers will just pass off that suggestion without a thought.

I do think there is a difference between - doing everything I can feasibly do right now in current circumstances (available livery, sound horse etc) but horse still isn't perfect of which there are plenty of people and the apparently completely blind to it people.

Visit site
Yep. The number of times this horse got referred to as “too lean”.

FFS ? lacking in certain muscle groups from hunting, yes. Skinny, no.

And a completely natural shine.

View attachment 56013

If a racehorse looked like that you would be very happy! Fit with a little something to give at the end of a race when it matters.

The amount of times I see people posting pics of their poor,neglected, rescued from the racing yard just last week horses I want to scream at them! The horse are fit not thin! You wouldn't see Dawn French stand a chance against Mo Farah now would you!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
It's a combination of a huge amount of things that contribute. Rugging, feeding, time, livery arrangements, lack of knowledge, not working horses as much due to things like traffic on roads, fat horses becoming normal, people thinking it's cruel to leave unrugged etc. The whole ulcer thing has a big impact I think. People are scared to leave a horse without forage for any length of time.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I'll not dig out more pictures because it's kind of a thread de-rail! But yes about year later he was still lean but more "normal" looking. We never got him into enough normal horse work to get the muscles built up right though. Due to his death wish.

It's nice to remember having a horse that actually needed food. ?

Sir barnaby

Visit site
When I get my summer companion, after a season hunting they are nice and slim and look very good, the other liveries complain she is far too thin and ribby, as they all have fat cobs so she does look very thin compared to them, when the vet came and saw her I felt a bit guilty and apologised for her being thin, he said he would much rather see thinner horses than the fat ones as they much more healthy,

oldie48

Visit site
Fatty's name is a bit of a giveaway! He is too fat, doesn't get hay unless he's in and it's been well soaked and double netted, I do tiny nets so I can space his meagre hay ration out. He only gets zero chop and a low cal balancer, wears a muzzle when out. He can't be ridden, I have no hills, no bare paddocks, can't set up a track system and he'll go through electric fencing on the mains if he thinks the grass is better on the other side. He doesn't know what a rug is. It is really difficult to manage him, his owner thinks he'd be dead by now if he was with anyone else, she knows how hard I try to keep the weight off him as she fought the same battle. He lives to eat and if anyone suggests that if I take the muzzle off he'll self regulate, I will honestly scream, he does not have an off switch!

jules9203

www.pensdellequestrian.org.uk
As a YO I have found over the last few years that owners are increasingly putting human emotions on to their horses. They cannot understand that just because they are cold/hot the horse is not feeling exactly the same. They also have no proper understanding of what is light/medium/hard work for the horse. I've lost count of the number of horses that are fed as if they were 4* eventers but only doing a few hours lazy hacking a week. Owners are horrified when I suggest less rugs or feed. I try and lead by example with my 3 ( 1 TB, 1 TBxWB and 1 ISH ) but it doesn't make any difference.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've got photos of Granny horse where she looks really thin! I didn't notice at the time but she was just fit, working most days and doing long hacks.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Mine is too fat at the moment. I was hesitant to work him hard with some hoof stuff going on, but that should be sorted now. He always gains weight when he comes off the field. He just stands in his paddock resting or eating hay, not moving. On the field the grass is mostly sparse and he moves around/plays in the herd and whatnot. So I've left him unrugged today and will until he's clipped and it's quite cold. I will also cut out his alfalfa muesli.

I can also increase his exercise as his hooves (going barefoot, and they're a mess) allow. So I had a few factors come into play and just didn't cut the feed soon enough.

However, I do often think some horses are too lean/don't have much muscle and people seem to think it's great. Which I don't agree with. There is a middle ground there. It can be hard to accomplish though.

I've noticed the jumpers prefer a slimmer horse and the dressage riders want something more on the chunky side. Just an observation from the current yard.

GinaGeo

Visit site
My Connemara is a nightmare to keep thin. He needs to be in proper hard hunting work. Diet alone doesn’t cut it. He’s looking the best he’s looked for awhile at the moment. It’s refreshing.

I have had to give myself a wake up call about my Welsh D x TB though. As a young horse he was always hard to keep weight on. In the last couple of years he’s really filled out. Except having given him a prod he hasn’t just filled out. He’s fat ? He carries it well, there aren’t any fat pads and he isn’t crusty. But he doesn’t have ribs that I can easily find. I won’t be topping him up with hard food this winter, and he will be fully clipped and rugged minimally. Hoping winter will help strip the weight off. He’s already in proper work, isn’t a greedy sort and won’t take wearing muzzle well ?

But he’ll have to next spring if the pounds don’t shift!