Why do some people have horses.

squirkle

Visit site
So a week ago I was approached by someone looking to sell a mare or this horse would be shot as the owner had no use for her and wanted her gone. So, I viewed her and agreed to trial her as she seemed nice and had barely anything done bar being backed.
I spoke with her owner and arranged for her to be dropped at my livery yard today, fine.
So he turned up nearly two hours late to drop her off, whisked her into the stable and left with barely another word said about her.
Ten minuets later after feeding and worming her I left for the night to allow her to settle in. Passing him at the shop he decided to scream at me I was a horse abuser and he shot off back to the yard where he recollected the horse (after hitting her quite a few times, and his father who came with him) screamed abuse at the yard owner and got kicked quite badly after hitting the mare.
But apparently I am an animal abuser as I didn't rug her, he had previously told me not to as she does not wear a rug out in the field, not wanting to suddenly throw a rug on a horse who isn't used to one, in a new yard, I had decided to leave it until tomorrow to see how she accepted it.

The man says he now plans to shoot this mare as he has done with many surplus to requirements animals in the past, why is there nothing that can be done about people like this owning animals! This mare is only young and has plenty of potential but now will end up dead.
The only comfort I can get from all this is that she's better off than she would be with this horrible man.

Equi

Visit site
how very bizarre :/ maybe they wanted to you offer to buy the horse then and there, knowing that there was something wrong with it.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I agree, sounds like a lucky escape for you, feel sorry for the horse though. Hopefully the poor thing is shot sooner rather than later

kinnygirl1

Visit site
He sounds mentally unstable tbh... Sorry you've had to go thru that. As others have said might have been a lucky escape.

Redders

Visit site
Very strange. I think the horse clearly had a physical issue and wanted to make some money from her. Good job you agreed to a trial really!

Firefly9410

Visit site
No just TB's. No goats as far as I saw!

Troll. Seems to be a popular accusation. Delete the post if it's out of place, I didn't mean to offend anyone.

No need to worry. People often speculate about trolls on this forum. Threads sometimes get derailed for all sorts of reasons. Nobody can delete posts except admins. You cannot even delete your own posts! There are no admins on this thread. ��

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Very strange. I think the horse clearly had a physical issue and wanted to make some money from her. Good job you agreed to a trial really!

But if that was the case, why would he agree to a trial? OP, how did he know that the horse didn't have a stable rug on?

Mental illness is the only thing I can think of that explains this.

What happened to your friend's poor dog with AHAR was even worse, wasn't it? For a charity to take a healthy dog, then starve it and hurt it so they can show 'poor dog' photos to raise some money. Outrageous.

squirkle

Visit site
But if that was the case, why would he agree to a trial? OP, how did he know that the horse didn't have a stable rug on?

Mental illness is the only thing I can think of that explains this.

What happened to your friend's poor dog with AHAR was even worse, wasn't it? For a charity to take a healthy dog, then starve it and hurt it so they can show 'poor dog' photos to raise some money. Outrageous.

Honestly he didn't know until he went back up to the yard, I wish I knew what set him off. I can't imagine why he'd agree to a trial knowing she had health issues, the only explanation the yard and I have come up with is perhaps he figured I was a bit naive but a soft touch for a poor horse, which is not the case.

Yes awful isn't it. But unfortunately healthy animals don't pull donations the way an animal that looks mistreated does. As AHAR prove time and time again.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
And why, if a man is hitting a horse and screaming/shouting and essentially stealing it (it's on trial but you know what I mean), would your YO notice clicky hips?!

Caracarrie

Visit site
And why, if a man is hitting a horse and screaming/shouting and essentially stealing it (it's on trial but you know what I mean), would your YO notice clicky hips?!

I also don't believe that the YO would allow a screaming madman, whether he owned the horse or not to beat the animal up and remove it on their private property either. How far away is the bridge?

squirkle

Visit site
I also don't believe that the YO would allow a screaming madman, whether he owned the horse or not to beat the animal up and remove it on their private property either. How far away is the bridge?

While I feel like defending myself here is pretty pointless, what do you expect her to do? Call the Garda and wait the hour it would take them to bother to show up? They would have done what exactly, its HIS horse. Try and get in between him and the horse? I mean the guy hit his own father none of us were keen to get in his way. Besides trying to reason with him as he took and loaded the horse there wasn't much any of us had the power to do.

I'll ask her why she noticed the clicky hips, I can imagine that in her years looking after and training various horses looking at conformation has become somewhat subconscious.

stormox

Visit site
You do get some nutters though- when I was young -12 or 13- I used to ride at the yard of a Bedford horsedealer name Smith. He was a local character, very knowledgeable, could stitch wounds, do teeth, shod his own horses, a real old nagsman.But he often got drunk, and would fly into rages over nothing. On days like that he would open the yard gates and chase all the horses (and us kids) out onto the road, loose. We were often chucked out, we used to creep back in a few days later, when he'd be all apologetic. We used to be ready for him on a saturday afternoon, and try and get the horses up the far end of the field away from the gate (it opened straight onto the road). Or if they got chased out, catch them and bring them back. Luckily there were no disasters!
Any of you from Bedford will know exactly who I mean!!
And yes, I would notice clicky hips, under any situation, from years of going round the sales with him.

hairycob

Visit site
Stormox I know exactly who you mean. He used to turn up at shows with a big lorry and about a dozen ponies. My OH had to take someone to his yard after she got forgotten and left behind at a show.

stormox

Visit site
Stormox I know exactly who you mean. He used to turn up at shows with a big lorry and about a dozen ponies. My OH had to take someone to his yard after she got forgotten and left behind at a show.

Not him, hairycob, he didnt drive (thank god) I think the chap youre talking about was his nephew. Either him, or BJ at Wootton. Great days- im so glad I learnt to ride then.

Last edited: