Why do we have horses? The good (or least crazy) reasons!

littleshetland

Visit site
Its the partnership and bond that forms between a human and its horse is wonderful. It's the sheer size of them, their generosity in the way they let us borrow their strength and athleticism,
their big brown eyes , the sweet smell of them and although they're domesticated, just scratch the surface and they're still wild underneath. They're just intoxicating creatures.

blitznbobs

Visit site
There is nothing as good a feeling of a superb transition to canter or the first few steps of passage, or flying over a fence when you are so in balance with a horse… well nothing Ive ever tried… perhaps cocaine might give me that buzz and be cheaper but I have chosen my poison…
Also walking on to the yard seeing all their faces looking at me and kinda saying ‘pick me, pick me’ — total ego boost every time to be that important to someone

clinkerbuilt

Visit site
I think a psychologist would say it’s largely a control thing - being in control of something much larger than you ticks a lot of boxes, especially when you’re a teen / pre-teen ( when most of us found horses) who doesn’t get to control much if anything else, and that feeling it gives you (alongside many other feelings) is quite addictive.
I would call it - especially when I was a child - an addiction to a seemingly miraculous power and freedom. Not always control 😂

humblepie

Visit site
I can't imagine life without horses, I just love the lifestyle and all the people and other horses you meet along the way, all the lovely parts of the countryside I have had the good fortune to ride on all due to the horses in my life. When my husband died and having no other family in NZ I just put all my energy into going away competing every weekend and this kept me sane. I have a great many very good friends and have met all of those through having horses. I love looking out of my window and seeing them in the morning, it is a reason to get up. Rain and horrible weather makes no difference I don't find it a chore in the least to attend to them. Not to mention the friendship and companionship I get from them too, especially my gelding who always wants a cuddle and makes me smile every day with his cheerful demeanor and good looks. I have recently moved to a new part of country where I know no one, I have made some good friends already and this is through the horse scene.
That is a lovely post.

Hollychops

Visit site
I am a grumpy arse when i dont have a horse in my life. Even the bad times (and am going through one at the moment) doesnt put me off. I dread to think how much my poor husband is going to suffer when i can no longer ride or have a horse!

YourValentine

Visit site
For all the reasons mentioned - they are my sanity, my escape, my peace. Sure there are days I question my sanity but I won't change my mind.

But also because of the people I've met, the things I've done, experienced and seen that would never have happened if I didn't have horses.