Why Do You Have More Than One Horse?

cavalo branco

Visit site
Love your post Adorable Alice, did make me laugh!!! I can see how easy it is once you can keep them at home and somehow my 1 has become 2 :D:D

It's like having children though, they each add something special and you can and do love them both... or should that be all..... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Note to self: NO MORE THAN 2!!!!

MyLuckyStar

Visit site
Originally I had a completely bombproof tb x gelding (bombproof to the point we had 3 emergency vehicles go underneath the motorway bridge sirens and all just as we were going over it and he didn't even flinch) but he wouldn't load no matter what you tried so I had my mare on loan to do some showing with.

My friend who owned the tb x gelding then decided to sell him but wanted more than I was willing to pay (£1000 for a 19 year old horse with no teeth from years of crib biting that wouldn't load so would only ever be a hacking horse) so I ended the loan and just kept my mare.

Then my friend was advertising their filly for sale and I fell in love with her so brought her as a 'project' and a horse that I could ride when my mare started to take things eaasy (she's 16 and has arthritis starting in her hocks).

My older mare doesn't like inhand showing (I do) so when a friend offered me her very well bred registered welsh section d I jumped at the chance.

That's how I ended up with 3. I always wanted a chunky coloured traditional cob gelding yet ended up with 3 mares!

Zimzim

Visit site
Because I like having more than one horse - different personalities and temperments, give different rides, totally different breeds, height, ages etc :D

I would have a yard full of them but I doubt the other half would be too impressed...!

puss

Visit site
My old boy seen it done dosent want to do it anymore just wants to hack along comes newer younger model hes not keen on doing it either. I can see number three comming very soon

Spotsrock

Visit site
Well L got old and at 21 I thought she should slow down so I bought B1 as a 2 year old. L didn't slow down very much and I got used to having 2 in work. L finally slowed down and 10 years later I now have B2 in work alongside B1 and L is retired. I just don't know what I'd do with 1 now I'm used to a pair in work now.

Spotsrock

Visit site
Somewhere along the way a had I, R, S and numerous bought to sell but unless S comes home to retire when L goes to rainbow bridge i'm done now, B1&2 are the right 2 for me. :)

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
We used to have quite a few, we had our own land so it was possible. If I had the money and my own land I would have a few again without question, why not I say! :D
I love my animals and would have more if I could now, could happily add to my current cat collection too :D

Last edited:

jeeve

Visit site
When I had 1 horse it was enough, but having a second does mean if one is out of action you have a spare, and a companion.

When I had kids they started sharing 1 pony, but as they became more interested it led to fights over who was riding at pony club etc, and getting extras became a priority. They really do not like sharing their ponies with each other, although they do from time to time.

Zerotolerance

Visit site
Get first horse a gazillion years ago. Safe(ish) cob. 0+1=1
Want to do more so loan Advanced eventer ( I show jump) +1=2
Eventer retires back to owner. -1=1
Now have to buy SJ as can't go back to riding cob +1=2
(Meet wealthy boyfriend, move in) :D
Get bored with all the hanging around at shows so buy another SJ +1 =3
Think another youngster would be fun +1=4
Buy cob for boyfriend to ride (original cob retired) +1=5
Boyfriend never really bothers - sell cob to hunting friend and buy another SJ instead (horse of lifetime, incidentally) -1+1=5
Get offered Grade A on loan while owner on gap year, couldn't possibly refuse that offer +1 =6
Grade A goes home -1=5
Original cob, aged 38 min and original SJ, sadly only 13, both PTS -2 =3 :(
Buy another youngster with money won by horse of lifetime, +1=4
(Split up with once wealthy boyfriend!) :confused:
Give one and sell one to good friend -2=2
(Just affordable on my own, could never sell horse of lifetime)
Get offered ex racehorse for £1 - couldn't poss refuse, am sure can afford another, +1=3
(Meet ex boyfriend from way back when I had the original cob, also wealthy, for now!) :D
Buy nephew of Horse of lifetime +1=4
Boyfriend falls in love with way too sharp for him coloured horse and buys him too +1=5
Buy another nephew of horse of lifetime +1=6
(Marry boyfriend!):D:D
Give ex racehorse to friend -1=5
Buy another nephew of horse of lifetime (yep 3 of 'em) +1=6
Vow not to have any more
Friend sadly can't keep racehorse any more so he comes home +1=7
Vow not to have any more.........
Off to auction at Brendon Stud next w/e - just to watch - hope hubby can sit on his hands!

Nannon

Visit site
I honestly have no idea sometimes...
I was cutting down when my competition horse slowed up, it was just him and then my mums horse came back off loan. Was going to sell mums and loan mine out.
Went to sales to look at how much ponies were going for to consider getting one for nephew... Come home with pony and tb foal.
Spend all winter muttering about how silly this was (one year ago tomorrow!)
Loan competition horse out to old owner in July, consider having mums pts due to many health issues.
Have been looking for one useful horse to replace these 2 since early spring...
One on loan for 2 weeks went back
Ascot sales and came home with Rango :) best decision of my life!
So back to 4 again and all stabled too now - seeing how the old boy goes for the winter, he's improving every day weirdly!
I'd like to have more than one rideable rather than mucking out 4 - 3 of which are useless! But parents have said no more than 4 :p

MustangWoman

Visit site
Because they are like potato chips, you can't have just one! But seriously, I just purchased an Andalusian X mare this morning because my gelding came back from training very depressed. He was with a herd of 5 at the trainers, and since he's been home he has not been finishing his FEED. He hangs out in one spot of his pen, head hanging low, just stands there. So tomorrow, he will have a friend. They are social creatures, when found in the wild they are with hundreds of others, but never alone. So it's in their nature to be with others of their kind. This is just how I look at it. I don't do shows or events, or anything exciting, just trail ride. So, my gelding doesn't get the benefits of social interacting like the show horses do. But as of tomorrow when she gets delivered he will! :D

MustangWoman

Visit site
We used to have quite a few, we had our own land so it was possible. If I had the money and my own land I would have a few again without question, why not I say! :D
I love my animals and would have more if I could now, could happily add to my current cat collection too :D

Ahh! Take some of my cats!!! Hahaha, they just keep showing up at my place and only leave to bring more friends! I swear, one of these days I will stop leaving all that cat food out for them... Darn things just pull at your heart strings... :rolleyes:

Milkmaid

Visit site
Because they live at home, I have 2 stables, 2.5 acres & one would be lonely!
I used to have 3 but that was too much.
Its nice to have another so you can hack with friends etc. but do admit I struggle to keep them both exercised as much as i'd like most of the time.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I have wondered how I have 4 but they are all under 14.2 so I feel that helps :eek::D

They are all for my daughter, she is riding one now, the next one will be ready to back next year when she out grows the current one, and I have a 13.1 ad 14.1 for the future for her which I am bringing on now. She is 3. That's ok isn't it?!:D

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Because we're not very good at selling them.:p Have daughters first pony, second pony (both outgrown) and her horse. Also my donkey who I got way back in the 80s as companion to my then horse. Luckily we have our own small amount of land and are able to rent 6 acres adjoining my field.:)

rara007

Visit site
Old thread!
Our yard seems empty now we're down to 9- we were up to 14!
We have my retired first pony, a retired driving pony, My sisters driving pony, my mums driving pony, my riding come dads driving horse, my sisters riding horse as she's too big for a pony and my horse is too sharp, then 2 left over 4-in-hand ponies waiting to go out on loan as well as my ride and drive.
Already out on loan we have my sisters first pony, a 4-in-hand pony and my mums other driving pony. In the last year we've sold an inhand showing colt and 3 driving ponies :eek:

Hexx

Visit site
Because I am too soft!!!

I acquired horse #2 in the pub this week, from a lady who was in dire financial problems, and who was not looking after her horse at all. It was a very sad situtation, however, the mare is off to stay with my friend on full loan, and she will get looked after extremely well.

Shutterbug

Visit site
I just got the opportunity to take on a youngster - girl at my yard is pregnant and decided to sell him - she offered him to me as I absolutely adore him and she knows he will be well looked after. So now after years of only having one horse, I find myself with 2 - I wasn't actively looking for a youngster but I couldn't pass up the opportunity when it was presented to me.

1stclassalan

Visit site
Got all mine by accident really - years ago now. My mare ( avatar) was bought for my wife as she learnt to ride on her but couldn't handle the "call of the wild" when said mare had a few moments as they all do so I took over and became besotted!

I also got left with my daughter's second pony because none of us could bear the though of selling him late in life and then same daughter had an eventer while I was still paying all her bills. Because I am a soft touch for any horse and fluttered eyelashes I also used to end up looking after various other ladies' liveries while they were otherwise indisposed.

Very happy times though and I wouldn't have missed it for the world - I'm often still woken up by that feeling all Horsey's know - come on - time for the horse's breaky!

horsesatemymoney

Visit site
Got all mine by accident really - years ago now. My mare ( avatar) was bought for my wife as she learnt to ride on her but couldn't handle the "call of the wild" when said mare had a few moments as they all do so I took over and became besotted!

I also got left with my daughter's second pony because none of us could bear the though of selling him late in life and then same daughter had an eventer while I was still paying all her bills. Because I am a soft touch for any horse and fluttered eyelashes I also used to end up looking after various other ladies' liveries while they were otherwise indisposed.

Very happy times though and I wouldn't have missed it for the world - I'm often still woken up by that feeling all Horsey's know - come on - time for the horse's breaky!

Do you have horses at the moment? The grey in your sig is lovely

micramadam

Visit site
1st was a bribe for my daughter to move over here without fuss.
2nd was a hack for me as I got sick of trailing round on a bike after my daughter 3rd is the foal of 2nd and is a replacement for 1st and future dressage horse.
4th was bought as 2nd was broken and daughter needed a competition horse whilst 3rd is growing up.
Utter madness!